IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why I think GTA will not work outside the USA., This is not fact, only opinion. Please state your arguments.
Kamahl
post Nov 24 2008, 04:45 AM
Post #41

Snitch

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,969
PSN Name: Kamahl_rg

i played all of GTA III without knowing that it was based on new york, i think i can play a new game based on somewhere else... i dont even care if the place is just made up

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TwoFacedTanner
post Nov 24 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #42

Clepto

Member No.: 908
XBL Gamertag: IanCredible988

QUOTE(DuPz0r™ @ Nov 23 2008, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1472527[/snapback]
I think GTA would work in any country. Especially a place where there is run down "poor" areas and big powerful gangs. That is the main attribute of a GTA game right there...

All they have to do is make sure the characters all speak English, but in an accent for a bit of authenticity.

Off the top of my head i can think of many European countries which GTA would be cool in. Poland, Russia, England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Romania would all be awesome places. And then you have Japan, China, Mexico, Cuba, all Gang hotspots, perfect for a GTA game.

England and Italy would be awesome.
Or anywhere in Latin America.
Achievements

+Quote Post
anarchy xyz
post Dec 14 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #43

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 40,821

jesus titty fucking christ it really shouldn't matter one bit which city its in the entire gta franchise is based on the prejudices and stereotypes that ALL people have thats why gta works in ALL countries rockstar have proven with the previous games that when creating game they over exagerate some aspects of life in that city if a city doesn't have one or two of the ingredients for a gta game the developers are sure to make it up and one more thing having to drive on the opposite side of the road would make for pretty funny gamplay think about it you could have tourists driving on the wrong side and the residents of that city gettin pissed at them/ramming there cars

--------------------

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Jun 25 2008, 01:27 PM) [snapback]1450522[/snapback]
somehow, you came across it while practicing erotic self asphyxiation and searching the internet for leads on the next GTA.

^LOL
Achievements

+Quote Post
Samurai_tbag
post Dec 17 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #44

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 5,211

QUOTE(PhantomStranger @ Jun 2 2008, 03:30 PM) [snapback]1444075[/snapback]
This topic proves the ignorance of the average american.

Very true.

It's a bit sad that the most powerful country in the world can't even educate it's own population to international culture.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
darkhedgehog12
post Dec 31 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #45

Upstanding Citizen

Group: New Members
Member No.: 46,027

QUOTE(gingergenius @ May 31 2008, 10:45 PM) [snapback]1443664[/snapback]
QUOTE(The Cool @ May 31 2008, 08:15 PM) [snapback]1443627[/snapback]
The following is my own personal opinion. No, I have never been outside the United States of America. The only thing I know of other countries is from T.V. and Movies. So please don't call me a stupid American. I hope you will come in and educate me, because right now I would be pissed if the next game was overseas. So lets respect everybody's opinions, and have an intelligent conversation.

(My 8 reasons it would suck)

1. Driving on the other side of the road.
2. The Radio stations.
3. The types of vehicles.
4. The range of characters. (The U.S. has Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Italians, Indians, Irish, British, Russian, etc....)
5. The Criminal Lifestyles (I don't see much on Adult criminal life overseas)
6. I don't see how they would mix the accents well, and make it seem legit.
7. GTA has always made fun of Americas over-hyped media, and cultural lifestyles. (We don't get much of your media over here, so it would be hard to relate to the jokes. (I do like Shaun of the Dead though)
8. I just think it would limit the games overall potential.

p.s. none of this is personal, and my opinion is an uneducated one.

yes, it is.

1. This aims your criticism at Britain since most places that aren't the US still drive on the left. And anyway, I can't think of an British person who ever found driving on the right a problem in GTA. Most of the time you drive at top speed on any bit of road you can in GTA, no one's there to tell you off for disobeying traffic laws.

2. Other countries have the radio too.

3. Cars aren't specific to the USA. Most of the best supercars come from Italy. The best executive saloons come from Germany. Japan is widely acknowledged as making the most efficient cars. It really doesn't matter what country you do it in.

4. I'll just use London as an example here. It was the centre of an Empire that spread to all parts of the globe. We've seen a steady stream of immigrants from everywhere. London is the second most multicultural city in the world after NYC. You get all races here.

5. You don't think there's crime overseas.

Johannesburg, South Africa has the highest murder rate in the world. Mogadishu, Somalia is the most dangerous city in the world - there's 12 year olds running around with AKs there on a regs.

All major British cities have a considerable black on black gun crime and street gang problem. Britain is also suffering an epidemic of youth stabbings, there's about 1 death a day in a small country like ours.

French cities have massive tensions between immigrants and whites in their cities which have spilled into really violent riots recently. We've had plenty of race riots in Britain too, the most recent between blacks and muslims.

If you want organised crime - the Neapolitan Mafia and the Sicilian Mafia are much more serious than any US mafia. In Naples the Mafia is conducting a campaign against Roma/ Gypsies and the government can't do jack. clicky

There's organised crime running immigration, drugs etc. all over the world not just America.

6. Why would they have to mix the accents? The characters would speak with the appropriate accent, like they do in the other GTAs....

7. Did you ever stop to think that non-American players might find it hard to relate to the jokes about America? No. The jokes are based on stereotypes that we recognise worldwide, about any country.

8. That point doesn't mean anything.

You've just won the internet, sir.

STFU or GTFO complainers.
Achievements

+Quote Post
HELMET
post Jan 7 2009, 03:53 AM
Post #46

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 34,932

There's people in the UK that play GTA games and they don't have a problem with driving on what they consider is the wrong side of the road. I think it's just a typical stubborn American attitude to not want to adjust to foreign lifestyle and culture. Hell, our government has been brainwashing us since the day we were born to reject any outside influence or culture.

I for one think the series needs to return to London.
London is a massive city, and I mean friggin massive, and it is riddled with tiny alleyways, and there's even underground parts to the city. Also I feel that the whole British gangster appeal is much more slick and clean, and makes for a better detailed story. look at the film "Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels" for example. That's some pretty slick s*** right there. You put a story similar to that with the twists and the "everybody is screwing everybody over" situation and you've got possibly the best GTA storyline ever made. But that would not be possible if it was an american made story. Not to be bias, but Americans are just too patriotic and "go in gunz blazin all over da place" to create such a story with such an atmosphere and depth. This could be achieved in London. I'm a strong supporter of this. I'm gonna make fliers and pins and everything just for this.
This was exactly what I was hoping IV would have been but it is still a good game.

They made all the others based on the original series except London. You had to play The Getaway on the other side of the road and that game was fun (until San Andreas came out and whooped it's ass).

Another thing, Ireland would be a cool idea and all and there is LOTS of gang and drug related activity over there. There's already characters in the new series that could support this transition too (Packy, Gerry and the other guy I can't remember his name).

Either way I think it's time that GTA steps out of the safety zone with creating newer cities already used and go overseas. I personally don't care if you have to drive on the wrong side of the road and i think it would be a good switchup.

One more thing, this game needs to somehow involve itself with the name associating it in the future. It's grand theft auto. How about a storyline and gameplay that heavily involves car theft and boosts for gang members and cash. In IV you only steal a few cars and bikes then that's it, all done. The game is great and all, but we should be able to see the underworld of car theft and it's purpose in the criminal underworld as much as gunfights. Right now grand theft auto is just an action game with no true elements that it should bring to the table from what the title suggests. I would like to see this change in the future as well.

This post has been edited by HELMET: Jan 7 2009, 04:32 AM

--------------------

Ledový Muž Přichází
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Mar 6 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #47

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

gta will work in london,no doubt,tokyo maybe..

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post Mar 6 2009, 11:23 PM
Post #48

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 39,213

QUOTE(black personMan @ Jun 2 2008, 05:48 PM) [snapback]1444116[/snapback]
I don't really agree or disagree with any of the points, although When I play The Getaway I don't really like any of the cars in the game, Most are small and shitty imo, Might be a good car in real life, but I don't like the really small ugly cars. Sorry, Just my opinion. I like to see a wide variety of vehicles, Muscel cars, Exotics, Sports, Suvs, Compact, Luxary, Full size cars, etc

The Getaway isn't anywhere near a good enough comparison of a game to say that one made by Rockstar North set in somewhere else outside of the US would work or not.

Rockstar North have every ability to make a game in for example London or Manchester and make it as good as every other Grand Theft Auto game if not better.

1. Driving on the other side of the road.
This hasn't effected the sales in the UK or any other country that drives on the left hand side.

2. The Radio stations.

Try listening to Kiss FM breakfast show, Capital FM breakfast show and tell me their not as entertaining as anything you get in the US. If anything it should be better because its better funded.

3. The types of vehicles.
American cars tend to be shit. The best car manufacturers in the world are either European or Japanese.

4. The range of characters. (The U.S. has Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Italians, Indians, Irish, British, Russian, etc....)

Come to London and tell me were not diverse.

5. The Criminal Lifestyles (I don't see much on Adult criminal life overseas)
I have first hand insight onto the criminal lifestyle as my dad is one of the biggest drug dealers in South West London and has some very infamous friends. There is also the Albanian, Russian mafias which work out of London along with the 'families' (Adams', Richardsons etc) - I was at the funeral of Joey Pyle, one of the UKs most infamous gangsters. A good friend of my dads who ive known my whole life was recently arrested with over Ł100,000 worth of cocaine. He had to put his house as bail. He got away with it because the other people he was with were carrying it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5302984.stm

6. I don't see how they would mix the accents well, and make it seem legit.

Its called actors. Typically in American films if they want someone who speaks in an english accent they hire an english actor. Look at the credits of the voice actors for GTA4. There are some very strong foreign names there, im thinking they weren't paid to do American accents.

7. GTA has always made fun of Americas over-hyped media, and cultural lifestyles. (We don't get much of your media over here, so it would be hard to relate to the jokes. (I do like Shaun of the Dead though)
Thats fair enough but its Rockstar North taking the blatent piss out of your media. They also have taken the blatent piss out of British culture too, probably more so.

8. I just think it would limit the games overall potential.

I disagree. The Grand Theft Auto series is now considered to be a cash cow. No matter what they make it will sell in the bucket loads. If they consistently fuck up then it will affect sales but making a game set in another country won't affect that. They have built a system and style of gameplay which works and will work every time.

--------------------
Stunt Double for Nick Frost
Achievements

+Quote Post
deejay
post Mar 7 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #49

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 284

i have to agree with the main thought but the reasons i'm not sure about, i think that there is no better country in the world that is better to parody, but i would really like to see them take a shot at the Yakuza in Japan or the Triads in Tokyo, come to think of it England was not that bad in the Getaway series and the sense of humor in that game was on point and can see R* improving upon that. but there is no better place for GTA than the US, LETS GO MODERN DAY VICCCCE CIIIIITY!

--------------------
equal rights for zombies
Achievements

+Quote Post
Guest_6 shooter_*
post Mar 9 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #50

Guests

I don't know about USA, but sure it wouldn't work outside an English speaking country. With all the strife for reflecting reality as closely as possible, it would feel awkward to hear people speak English on the streets of Rome, Moscow or Lima. And we all have grown to enjoy random pedestrian utterances, haven't we? Singled out sentences in foreign languages (with English subtitles) add some spice, but more would spoil the game's atmosphere.

Having said that, I would rejoice if the next GTA was to be set in London again, but for the first time in a 3D environment. Just imagine all those buildings in three dimensional perspective! Another idea would be a three city game in 3 distant agglomerations, between which the player would have to travel by plane. Some foreign cities might work here (Chicago-New Orleans-Bogota or London-Glasgow-Paris).
Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post Mar 9 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #51

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(6 shooter @ Mar 9 2009, 07:51 AM) [snapback]1489261[/snapback]
I don't know about USA, but sure it wouldn't work outside an English speaking country. With all the strife for reflecting reality as closely as possible, it would feel awkward to hear people speak English on the streets of Rome, Moscow or Lima. And we all have grown to enjoy random pedestrian utterances, haven't we? Singled out sentences in foreign languages (with English subtitles) add some spice, but more would spoil the game's atmosphere.

Having said that, I would rejoice if the next GTA was to be set in London again, but for the first time in a 3D environment. Just imagine all those buildings in three dimensional perspective! Another idea would be a three city game in 3 distant agglomerations, between which the player would have to travel by plane. Some foreign cities might work here (Chicago-New Orleans-Bogota or London-Glasgow-Paris).

I agree with what you said about english speaking countries but as for the last part about being set in 3 different cities i don't think it would work as it would break up the gameplay too much. If it was laid out like San Andreas then it would but making it mandatory to travel via plane would ruin the 'smoothness' (for want of a better word) of the game. If it was 3 cities within driving distance or squashed down distance it would work good.

London - Birmingham - Manchester (or even a city in Scotland) would be cool. With some small little villages/towns in the middle.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
DarkRai
post Mar 11 2009, 06:37 AM
Post #52

Upstanding Citizen

Group: New Members
Member No.: 45,074

I`d prefer GTA in Moscow or St. Petersburg sneaky2.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
Guest_6 shooter_*
post Mar 11 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #53

Guests

QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 9 2009, 12:01 PM) [snapback]1489270[/snapback]
London - Birmingham - Manchester (or even a city in Scotland) would be cool. With some small little villages/towns in the middle.

GTA-wise speaking, R* might even make a game with a tri-city map based on Berlin/Paris/London with driveable connections between them. After all, they did that with San Andreas - in real life travel from LA to SF takes ca. 7 hours and 3-4 to LV, right?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post Mar 11 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #54

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(6 shooter @ Mar 11 2009, 09:21 AM) [snapback]1489613[/snapback]
QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 9 2009, 12:01 PM) [snapback]1489270[/snapback]

GTA-wise speaking, R* might even make a game with a tri-city map based on Berlin/Paris/London with driveable connections between them. After all, they did that with San Andreas - in real life travel from LA to SF takes ca. 7 hours and 3-4 to LV, right?

Yeah but it was purposely condensed for gameplay and disk space.

As all of the games have been.

If they were to make a game based on the cities we both mentioned i would expect them to condense the real time area as i wouldn't particularly want to drive for about 7 hours (depending on the distance) to get to the next major city. It would be a great idea and fun to do if there was interesting stuff in the middle but it would get boring.

Obviously driving wouldn't be the only form of transport but its the most common. Would make for one epic achievement - Drive from London to Berlin in one continuous trip without a break - 100G.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Guest_6 shooter_*
post Mar 13 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #55

Guests

QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Mar 11 2009, 04:58 PM) [snapback]1489635[/snapback]
Would make for one epic achievement - Drive from London to Berlin in one continuous trip without a break - 100G.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, and travelling this distance on foot would be required for 100% completion tongue.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Mar 13 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #56

Godfather
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 48,547

'GTA 5 On The Moon'

No arguements about driving on the left or right, range of cars, radio stations, accents etc, etc.
Achievements

+Quote Post
RAHUL
post Apr 5 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #57

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 19,158

Yeah hes right it wont work without the US since US is the most fucked up nation on earth. They too bothered about foreign threats such as Iraq, Afghanistan and North Korea whilst the Americans are going GTA style. Look at this past month alone - 4 or 5 mass murders, I mean get real guys the dude called 911 and shot the cops...what a GTA way man! So yeah it should be America cos they are dumb fat eating dumwits!
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 11:32 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4