Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On Live - New 'console'
Full Metal Monke...
post Mar 25 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,213

Hi guys, i just found that a new 'console' is being released this winter, called On Live. Its a 'console' where you can stream games to the On Live box, which is apprently tiny, and play games like Crysis, in its highest graphics settings, straight to your TV. You can also buy a plug-in for PCs and Mac.

Here is an article which has more information about it. Sounds interesting, i wonder if consumers will embrace it.

My dads girlfriend works for Eidos, one of the companies embracing the product, im suprised she never told me.

EDIT: After reading the FAQ it says that it will be launched in the continental US so that means us lowly Europeans will have to wait a year before its released as usual.

Linkage for Article

OnLive Website

A new company today made an announcement that could change the way the world plays video games, and spell the end of the dominance of the PlayStation, Xbox and Wii.

Onlive promises to be a revolutionary, on-demand video game platform that will deliver graphically advanced games instantly over the internet, so you can play them on any compatible device.

The service cuts out the need for proprietary consoles - undermining the multi-billion-pound business models of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Onlive launched at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco after seven years of development. Behind the company is Steve Perlman, a respected entrepreneur, who has already obtained the backing of several big publishing and deveopment names in video games, including Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive Software, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, THQ Inc., Epic Games, Eidos and Atari Interactive.

Mr Perlman says he has developed a data compression technology that allows games to be powered on remote servers, rather than on game consoles. Users will not need to buy games in stores but will be able to play them as they are streamed across the network - without downloading them.

Those who have seen the product demonstrated report that there appears to be no time lag on even highly advanced games - a hugely important part of the user experience.

Mr Perlman said: “OnLive is the most powerful game system in the world. No high-end hardware, no upgrades, no endless downloads, no discs, no recalls, no obsolescence. With OnLive, your video game experience is always state-of-the-art. With OnLive we’ve cleared the last remaining hurdle for the video games industry: effective online distribution.”

“By putting the value back into the games themselves and removing the reliance on expensive, short-lived hardware, we are dramatically shifting the economics of the industry. Delivering games instantly to the digital living room is the promise game fans have been waiting for and OnLive makes that promise a reality that’s affordable, flexible and focused on their individual needs."

Users have to buy a small "MicroConsole" that connects most TVs and home broadband connections to the Onlive service. The game is played on a functional Onlive wireless controller. Users need to have minimum broadband connections to take advantage of the streamed service. For standard-definition play, that would mean a minimum 1.5Mb per second connection, and for high-def, 5Mbps.

For the moment, this might put the high definition service beyond the reach of many British consumers. In January, Ofcom criticised many British broadband providers for failing to live up to the speeds they advertised. Ofcom found that many people paying a premium for speeds of up to 8Mbps were receiving only 4.3Mbps.

The Onlive service aims to support a gaming community across the world. The user interface allows video game fans to watch thousands of live games in action, join in at any point, share their exploits with friends through social networking tools, or make "Brag Clips" that showcase their skills. With OnLive, gamers have immediate access to demos and can instantly try, buy and play top-tier games, whether playing solo or with friends.

Onlive claims that the new technology “breaks the console cycle" so that gamers have to upgrade their hardware every few years. Publishers appear to be enthusiastic about the new service as it will give them much more efficient distribution models than selling their games through retail channels.

Onlive will demonstrate 16 games being played at the Conference, which runs until March 27.

The service will be offered through a monthly subscription, launching towards the end of 2009. Prices are expected to be tiered, in relation to the retail price of a given game.

Successful on-demand high-end video gaming has been a goal of developers for years, and several attempts have failed. But the increase in broadband availability and the potential of the compression technology may make Onlive a serious contender, and a serious rival to the established games industry - if it lives up to its promises. The company's website Onlive.com will go live on March 24.
Here is the FAQ on the company website about it.

What is the OnLive Game Service?
OnLive is Games on Demand. Play the hottest current titles instantly on your TV, PC or Mac through your broadband Internet connections. Access OnLive from your PC or Mac via a small browser plug-in, or from your TV via the OnLive MicroConsole™.

When will OnLive be available?
OnLive is currently in internal Beta, and we expect to have an external Beta to gamers around the US this summer. If you’d like to help Beta test, sign-up here. We plan to make OnLive available in Winter 2009.

Where will OnLive be available?
We’ll be launching across the continental US.

How much will this cost?
As we get closer to our launch we will be disclosing more details about pricing and availability.

What kind of Internet connection do I need to use the OnLive Service?
OnLive works over nearly any broadband connection (DSL, cable modem, fiber, or through the LAN at your college or office). For Standard-Definition TV resolution, OnLive needs a 1.5 Mbps connection. For HDTV resolution (720p60), OnLive needs 5 Mbps.

What do I need to play OnLive on my TV?
All you need is your TV, an OnLive MicroConsole and a couple of cables. Power up and play!

What if I want to play OnLive on my PC or Mac-what are the minimum specs?
Since the game is running in the OnLive data center, our system requirements are pretty low. All you need is a PC running a current version of Windows XP® or Vista®, or an Intel®-based Mac running a current version of OS X.

How long does it take to download a game?
Trust us, it’s really fast – it’s instant, unlike anything you’ve tried.

How do I patch or update my games?
OnLive games are patched and updated automatically for you in the OnLive data center. So, games start up the instant you click on them.

What is the difference between Onlive and other services delivering games via the network?
There isn’t anything like the OnLive system in terms of instant access to the latest games, a media-rich experience, ease of use, and ability to play on your TV, or entry-level PC, or Mac.

How long until the newest games are available OnLive?
OnLive works with its partners to deliver the newest titles as soon as they’re released. No waiting in lines, pre-ordering, or waiting on shipments. Just connect and play!

Can I try new games before buying?
Yes. You can play the latest and greatest demos, and even rent games to try them out. OnLive also lets you watch the top players as a way to discover new games and learn a few new tricks.

Are the games currently listed on your website the only games available?
These are just the games we are announcing right now and showing at the 2009 Game Developers Conference. We expect to have more titles available at launch.

Does OnLive support multiplayer?
Absolutely. Even beyond normal online multiplayer action, OnLive has many social features that make it a great place to watch your friends, join in, and record and share your highlights (or lowlights).

For Developers and Publishers

What is the process for getting my game onto OnLive?
Instructions for becoming a certified developer or publisher and for downloading our SDK are available here. If you’re interested, sign-up and we’ll be in touch.

Can firms develop games specifically for the OnLive platform?
Yes, using our SDK. And since we run your game on high-end servers, every gamer gets the optimal experience. OnLive is intended to be a complete development-to-distribution platform.

What are the details around programming for the platform?
We have a few compliance requirements in place to move existing PC titles onto the platform, and a richer SDK available to take advantage of unique OnLive features. Additionally, there is no expensive development hardware to purchase, and you can use standard PC development tools you know and love.

How does OnLive work with publishers?
In addition to offering a direct channel from development-to-distribution, OnLive opens completely new doors for marketing and promotion, as well as a seamless way to connect with a large, engaged target audience.

Who’s supporting your platform?
Lots of people are. We’re getting an extremely positive reaction, as evidenced by the partners who’ve signed on thus far. OnLive simplifies the game development process for developers, and offers publishers improved economics and a more direct relationship with their customers.

This post has been edited by Full Metal Monkey: Mar 25 2009, 12:49 PM

--------------------
Stunt Double for Nick Frost
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Mar 25 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #2

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

No need to quote the whole thing if you're going to link to it.

I've heard about On Live a few months ago. While I think the concept is great; it will be interesting to watch this product/service come to fruition. The idea of being to access 1000's of games instantaneously sounds miraculous; especially those of us limited to the small selection our wallets or consoles allow. On Live isn't really anything new, just a revamped version of Gametap.com or any other subscription based videogames provider. I have a PC hooked to my television; I've played videogames directly from the internet on my TV, like four years ago.

On the surface, it sounds like it will be the end-all in videogaming. It will be interesting if people would be willing to give up their loyalties to Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony, not to mention the money they've invested in the console and games sitting next to their TV. It will also be interesting to see if people are willing to pay hefty monthly subscription fees for videogames in a struggling economy.

IF On Live is deemed a threat by the console manufacturers, it will be interesting to see how developers contracts with Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony are affected. High profile, console exclusive games that people have been playing and are expecting; won't be featured in On Live.

I'm sure there will be some people get this instead of buying a new console; but in reality, it'll appeal to people who want to play a variety of old arcade, card, classic videogames. Not the gamers that have been conditioned to consoles for the past 20 years.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post Mar 25 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 25 2009, 01:23 PM) [snapback]1492117[/snapback]
IF On Live is deemed a threat by the console manufacturers, it will be interesting to see how developers contracts with Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony are affected. High profile, console exclusive games that people have been playing and are expecting; won't be featured in On Live.

I agree completely. I can't wait to see what Sony, Microsoft and Wii are going to do to try and compete. Microsoft already have their foot in the door with Xbox Live Arcade and the Xbox Original downloads but then its exactly that a download. I might get it (depending on the pricing on the box to see if its any good). I can see this appealing to the casual computer gamer who would like to play games like Crysis but cannot afford to upgrade their computer to requiered specifications.

I'm sure there will be some people get this instead of buying a new console; but in reality, it'll appeal to people who want to play a variety of old arcade, card, classic videogames. Not the gamers that have been conditioned to consoles for the past 20 years.

Im not so sure. I think it will appeal better to people who work very long hours and can only play games every now and then so therefore don't tend to purchase many games.

What i think they will make it be is you just pay for the license of the game instead of a subscription and access to every game on their library (which would be awesome if they did).

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Mar 26 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #4

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

Here's the sign-ups for the beta testing program.
http://www.onlive.com/beta_program.html
Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post Mar 26 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Mar 26 2009, 01:54 PM) [snapback]1492347[/snapback]
Here's the sign-ups for the beta testing program.
http://www.onlive.com/beta_program.html

Yeah i took a look at that the other day. Its a shame its North America only though.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Mar 26 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #6

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

i am sure the monthly subscription is gonna be about the price of my phone bill... i'm guessing in the $40 range to start out... once the price drops maybe i would be interested (if it drops) but, i don't think this service is gonna come cheap at all... and $40 a month isn't cheaper than buying video games for me because, i buy a game once every few months...

gametap had the right idea of a yearly subscription of $60 i think... i don't know, i'm content with console gaming... i don't think this is the end-all to consoles because, consoles are where the money is and, i don't think a ton of new games will be readily available in this service... it'll be like gametap where it's loaded full of classics and games released a couple years ago... if it were around today, i don't think you'll find resident evil 5 or killzone 2 on there...

the only cool benefit to this service would be for the PC gamers... being able to finally play some of those games that your computer can't handle... but other than that, i just see it as another streamline fad...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 01:25 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4