IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vancouver Olympics 2010, The biggest event of the year (or atleast I like to think so)
Jacko
post Feb 18 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #1

GTA King

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,636
XBL Gamertag: KemppaBoyz
PSN Name: JackoFIN

So who's following the much anticipated winter olympics from Vancouver this year? I'm do follow them mainly because of Ice Hockey and because this is the last time I will get to see the old superstars like Selanne, Saku Koivu on the field. Apart from Team Finland it's also nice to see all the best players from NHL playing there. My guess is that Team Russia will take the gold medal and mob the floor with Canada. Of course there are great players in Canada but still, those russians are going to be a challenge for them.

This post has been edited by Jacko90: Feb 18 2010, 10:21 AM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Masta
post Feb 18 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #2

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 11,870

Russia isn't going to beat us this year, they'll be a challenge as always of course but this is our home ice and Russia hasn't fared well against us on our turf the last 2 decades or so. Russia hasn't won gold since the 92 games under the 'Unified Team' banner when they iced their USSR team built before the collapse in which they had the choice of the best players from dozens of countries rather than a single one.

The Russians are good and have a few very talented players but the past few games have shown that those few superstars aren't enough to lift the whole team to Gold status. Since the Unified Team's gold win in '92 Russia has only managed silver and bronze, it will stay that way this year I believe.

I was worried the guys might hold back a bit being worried about injury but they showed in their first game they have no fear of taking their men down, and taking them down hard at that. One of the most physical Olympic hockey matches I've seen, and 99% of that physicality was from one team. Can't wait to see Canada play U.S and Russia, they actually give back the physical kind of play team Canada delivers and should offer entertaining games.

And Canada's women are gonna take gold for sure, they're only outscoring their competition 41 - 2 in 3 games so far. Will have to see how team USA does against them in the final though as they're the only team coming close to matching Canada's group domination(currently outscoring their competition 25-1 in 2 games), but they'll lose and Canada will take the gold.

Also, current total medal standings top five:

U.S - 14
Germany - 10
France - 7
Canada - 6
Korea - 5 (Norway and Austria are also tied at 5, but Korea has 3 golds to place them ahead)

A lackluster performance so far from the home team but at least we broke the curse and we still have many more opportunities to keep some more gold in this country. That first day of ski jumping that all the Canadians missed qualification on had me thinking the curse was gonna stand strong, thank god that proved false.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Jacko
post Feb 18 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #3

GTA King

As you're a Canadian could you mention some of the pros of Team Finland? I'd say our attacking is ok but defence lacks the strong and confident grip.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Masta
post Feb 18 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #4

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Other than Selanne and Saku Koivu there's Niklas Hagman, Mikka Koivu, Olli Jokinen, Jarkko Ruutu, Sami Salo, Joni Pitkanen, Toni Lydman, Valtteri Filippula, Kimmo Timonen, Jere Lehtinen and Tuomo Ruutu(I might be forgetting one or two).

And of course the Kipper Mikka Kiprusoff, Niklas Backstrom and Antero Nittymaki in goal.

As far as skill goes Finland has a stacked deck with a majority pro lineup, but as you mentioned their defensive game is not the greatest. Their goal-tending could save them though, it certainly has the talent.

Most European teams are the same way, European hockey development focuses mainly on skill and speed of offense and their goal-tending rather than physical play or strong defensive play.

North American hockey = 70% physical and 30% skill

European hockey = 90% skill and 10% physical

Russian hockey = 50% skill and 50% physical

Usually when playing Russia, the U.S or Canada European teams don't do well because while they have skilled offensive talent it's hard for that talent to do much if it's laying flat on the ice after getting ground into the boards or getting laid out in open ice by guys built like freight trains who have spent their entire hockey careers doing just that.

So the play tends to be in their end most of the time and if you are always in your own end eventually you'll pay for it, even if you have best defensive line and goalie in the tournament.

Finland is one of the better teams in the games and they'll pick up a medal(or they deserve it anyways) but I don't see them getting past the U.S or Canada for a Gold. Would love to see them play spoiler and take out the U.S or Russia though. smile.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
Jacko
post Feb 18 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #5

GTA King

QUOTE (Masta @ Feb 18 2010, 07:59 PM) *
Other than Selanne and Saku Koivu there's Niklas Hagman, Mikka Koivu, Olli Jokinen, Jarkko Ruutu, Sami Salo, Joni Pitkanen, Toni Lydman, Valtteri Filippula, Kimmo Timonen, Jere Lehtinen and Tuomo Ruutu(I might be forgetting one or two).

And of course the Kipper Mikka Kiprusoff, Niklas Backstrom and Antero Nittymaki in goal.

As far as skill goes Finland has a stacked deck with a majority pro lineup, but as you mentioned their defensive game is not the greatest. Their goal-tending could save them though, it certainly has the talent.

Most European teams are the same way, European hockey development focuses mainly on skill and speed of offense and their goal-tending rather than physical play or strong defensive play.

Usually when playing Russia, the U.S or Canada European teams don't do well because while they have skilled offensive talent it's hard for that talent to do much if it's laying flat on the ice after getting ground into the boards or getting laid out in open ice by guys built like freight trains who have spent their entire hockey careers doing just that.

So the play tends to be in their end most of the time and if you are always in your own end eventually you'll pay for it, even if you have best defensive line and goalie in the tournament.

Finland is one of the better teams in the games and they'll pick up a medal(or they deserve it anyways) but I don't see them getting past the U.S or Canada for a Gold. Would love to see them play spoiler and take out the U.S or Russia though. smile.gif

I would love to see us in the finals but as you said we dont have physicality of your team but we might drop US this year because we lost them last year in Switzerland. And hopefully we'll beat Sweden this Saturday. laugh.gif What I envy in the Canadian style of hockey which us Finns should have is the physicality and the slapshots. You guys fire a lot and your slapshots are very powerfull. I guess in your country they train slapshots from the early ages but in Finland they dont which sucks.

This post has been edited by Jacko90: Feb 18 2010, 04:20 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Feb 18 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #6

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

i missed the only event i like to watch during the winter olympics... curling...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 18 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #7

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

People watch the Olympics?

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Jacko
post Feb 18 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #8

GTA King

Well not all the events, mainly ice hockey.
Achievements

+Quote Post
TreeFitty
post Feb 18 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #9

[ShitKickers] Posse
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35,531
PSN Name: therealtreefitty

I don't go out of my way to watch, but hockey and the halfpipe are the only events that interest me.

--------------------
gta 5

People say I'm crazy for running into burning buildings. I say I'm crazy because I do it for free.
Achievements

+Quote Post
DonkeyTits
post Feb 18 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #10

Clepto
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 81

I've watched most of the Olympic games. I'm surprised/disappointed with the amount of athletes that are falling in every sport. I watched paired figure skating the other night and every pair except one fell at least once during their run.
Also, the biathlon is old and outdated and I feel they need to purge it from the games.

Just watched the US hockey team beat Norway 6 to 1. The American goalie had this paintjob on his helmet, it made me lol:

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Masta
post Feb 19 2010, 02:56 AM
Post #11

Nobody Special
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jacko90 @ Feb 18 2010, 11:16 AM) *
QUOTE (Masta @ Feb 18 2010, 07:59 PM) *

I would love to see us in the finals but as you said we dont have physicality of your team but we might drop US this year because we lost them last year in Switzerland. And hopefully we'll beat Sweden this Saturday. laugh.gif What I envy in the Canadian style of hockey which us Finns should have is the physicality and the slapshots. You guys fire a lot and your slapshots are very powerfull. I guess in your country they train slapshots from the early ages but in Finland they dont which sucks.

Go the way of the Swiss - in the Swiss league 4 of the top 5 teams are coached by Canadians, the national team playing in Vancouver against Team Canada right now is coached by a Canadian holding dual citizenship, and one of their top players is a dual citizen who played in the Juniors for Team Canada a few years back and is now playing against them(he married a Swiss girl and moved there).

Under this Canadian coach the Swiss have gone from 16th place in the world hockey rankings to 7th in just a few years. Love us or hate us you can't deny Canadians know how to develop teams and talent.

And yeah, the hard slap shots are typically a byproduct of our physical game play, in order to be a physical player you need muscle and when you've got muscle and someone to set you up properly you can unload the puck like a cannon.

The Swiss tonight you can tell are being led by a Canadian coach as they are playing straight-up North American hockey, not quite matching Canada for physical play but holding their own better than most expected them too. That being said if not for Hiller in their net it would have been a blow out for us, he's stood on his head a few times tonight.

Going to a shoot-out now and lets hope Hiller gets shaky or we get lucky or something cause this is getting embarrassing now, lol.

EDIT: Canada won! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Masta: Feb 19 2010, 03:01 AM
Achievements

+Quote Post
0bs3n3
post Feb 19 2010, 05:31 AM
Post #12

Leece

Member No.: 24,792

The biathlon is cool although I didn't watch it.

Our coverage is lacklustre. They have it on twice a day (9am and 9pm) for 3 hour intervals and they're both just replays of what happened that day.

Snowboarding was pretty cool though, Americans completely dominated I have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 19 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #13

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Feb 18 2010, 04:46 PM) *
Just watched the US hockey team beat Norway 6 to 1. The American goalie had this paintjob on his helmet, it made me lol:

That looks retarded.

*Leaves America*

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Masta
post Feb 19 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #14

Nobody Special
Group Icon

QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Feb 19 2010, 12:31 AM) *

Our coverage is lacklustre. They have it on twice a day (9am and 9pm) for 3 hour intervals and they're both just replays of what happened that day.

Snowboarding was pretty cool though, Americans completely dominated I have to say.

If you go to www.Vancouver2010.com and scroll down about half way on the right side of the page you'll find a drop down list with stations in countries all over the world offering live coverage online.

Although some of them are BS and only offer recaps rather than live coverage you can find live coverage on most of them, just maybe not from your home country.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Jacko
post Feb 19 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #15

GTA King

QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Feb 19 2010, 01:46 AM) *
I've watched most of the Olympic games. I'm surprised/disappointed with the amount of athletes that are falling in every sport. I watched paired figure skating the other night and every pair except one fell at least once during their run.
Also, the biathlon is old and outdated and I feel they need to purge it from the games.

Very patriotic to wear that kind of paint job on your helmet. laugh.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
0bs3n3
post Feb 20 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #16

Leece

Member No.: 24,792

So has these games been hyped more than usual?

Seems to me it has, or at least here (Australia) it has. Usually no one takes much notice.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Jacko
post Feb 20 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #17

GTA King

I guess there's been a little more hype than usual but that's normal since Olympics are only once in four years. smile.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
Handsome B Wonde...
post Feb 20 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #18

Jesus Christ Monkeyballs!

Member No.: 5,644

QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Feb 20 2010, 09:10 PM) *
So has these games been hyped more than usual?

Seems to me it has, or at least here (Australia) it has. Usually no one takes much notice.

Yeah, i think it's just us. Nine got all excited by the fact we had a few medal chances. Pity hardly anyone here gives a shit.

Torah Bright got her mormon self a gold medal in halfpipe, so Australia isn't totally hopeless. laugh.gif

--------------------
I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time - and this includes naps - I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.
Charlie Sheen
Achievements

+Quote Post
Darth Sexy
post Feb 21 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #19

The Thunder Down Under
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,214

QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Feb 19 2010, 04:31 PM) *

Yeah, it's been fucking shit. No hockey at all.

Had the bobsled on at work. The Australian's may as well have not been there, given they flipped it at least twice.

--------------------

QUOTE(Lmoz96 @ Jul 27 2009, 08:31 PM) [snapback]1514882[/snapback]
Marney1... you know that I can literatly kill you
Achievements

+Quote Post
Handsome B Wonde...
post Feb 21 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #20

Jesus Christ Monkeyballs!

Member No.: 5,644

Yeah, the lack of hockey is crap. The arse munches force us to watch figure skating instead.

Hopefully we get to at least see the final.

--------------------
I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time - and this includes naps - I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.
Charlie Sheen
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 02:45 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4