> Bioshock 2
PabloHoneyOle
post Feb 18 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #1

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

Not to be confused with BioCock 2; Bioshock 2 is the follow up to the game of the year, Bioshock. Go figure. Here's a brief synopsis that I didn't write:
The game is set in fictional dystopian city Rapture in alternative history 1968, eight years after the events of BioShock. The protagonist and player-controlled character is a Big Daddy, a being that has had its organs and skin grafted into an atmospheric diving suit. Among the first of its kind, the player-controlled Big Daddy reactivates with no recollection of the past decade's events, and scours the city in a vain attempt to relocate the Little Sister that he was paired with. When it becomes obvious that Rapture's leader Sofia Lamb will become responsible for the city's destruction, the Big Daddy attempts to overthrow Lamb and her army of Big Sisters.

Not sure if anyone else is playing this, I just got it the other yesterday and it is amazing. The first game was brilliant. I loved it, the storyline, the twists, the city itself, all amazing. This game has all that and a bag of chips. As mentioned above, you're playing as a Big Daddy. At first I was apprehensive, but it's pretty badass. You start with the classic Drill hand and can wield an assortment of guns and of course, the Plasmids or "magical powers". The controls feel like you're actually a Big Daddy; not too swift, heavy as hell (each jump shakes the ground when you land) and powerful as FUCK (AND YOU HAVE A DAMN DRILL FOR A HAND).

There are all the classic elements from the first Bioshock, the Splicers, other Big Daddies and their Little Sisters, and this game introduces the Big Sister, which is basically a "ninja-version" of the original Big Daddy. She's pretty badass, I haven't had an encounter with one that hasn't resulted in me dying. Serious shit.

The story is shaping out to be a good one so far. I don't want to give away many spoilers, but there is an awesome opening sequence which dives you into the game. Basically, you're searching for your Little Sister, and you encounter and interact with other Little Sisters in the process. You have to act as their protector as they harvest ADAM and attract the Splicers - who also want the ADAM. Then there are the moral choices associated with the Little Sisters, whether to save them or harvest them for their ADAM. The story is shaping up nicely, I'm only through the second or third level so far, but there appears there will be some twists upcoming. Hold on to your seat.

The game really expands upon the City of Rapture and it's origins. The level I just completed was an amusement park that featured an exhibit on the History of Rapture as well as plenty of exhibits you can interact with and fight through. It's like fighting through a rideable version of the Hall of Presidents at Disney World. Pretty awesome stuff. The game is sopping with "vintage" references to the 50's culture and the steampunk technology of Rapture. It's all very engulfing and really draws you into the game.

Not only are you exploring new sections of the city of Rapture, you explore the outside of it as well. Since you're a Big Daddy, you can walk along the bottom of the ocean, which for me was just as breathtaking as the first time I stepped out of the Vault in Fallout 3. Early in the game, the glass keeping the ocean out breaks on you and you basically have to navigate the outside of the city to get back inside. While walking the ocean floor, there isn't much to do but take it all in. At one point, I set the controller down and just watched the fish (and sharks feeding on the fish). I also took a few extra minutes to marvel at the whale skeleton on the ocean floor. Very, very good attention to detail. Very immersive.

I haven't got to play any multiplayer yet, but it looks to be a lot of fun, with some new takes on classic MP game types. It also looks to add some replay value to the game which regrettably, the first game lacked.

I definitely recommend this game to anyone who played the first and anyone who enjoys an awesome FPS.

My only gripe so far is that in the first game, you could play through the entire game and still travel back to the first level if you wanted. In the new game, each level is a one shot deal, no chance to revisit it. Nothing huge, but a minor gripe.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Feb 18 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Still Standing
Group Icon

Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

I bought this on the weekend. I've only played it once as of yet, but i will get a chance to sit and play it properly soon.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Feb 18 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #3

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Feb 18 2010, 05:35 PM) *
I bought this on the weekend. I've only played it once as of yet, but i will get a chance to sit and play it properly soon.

I had a friend over yesterday and I had to keep telling him to shut the fuck up - he would start talking as soon as I picked up an Audio Diary. I turned the game off for a bit and waited for him to leave before getting back to it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Feb 22 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #4

Boss
Group Icon

Dupz, you got into this anymore yet?
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Mar 9 2010, 03:07 PM
Post #5

Boss
Group Icon

Doops - any update?

Here's the Zero Punctuation about the game. Pretty hilarious.
Bioshock 2

I really loved this game, but just like the first one, I can't see myself playing through the storyline again anytime soon. Maybe again in a year or so, but I've been there done that. It was a pretty good story and I really enjoyed the ending, probably more than the first.

The multiplayer is good, but it's been pretty glitchy each time I play and there really isn't enough to keep me coming back time and time again (that's what she said). The game modes are inventive, put a good spin on the usual multiplayer games. If you don't already have a good MP game, this one would be worth investing time in, but Halo 3, GTAIV and MW2 already hold that place in my life.

I'm probably going to be trading in my copy towards Red Dead while the Gamestop "deal" is still on. Or maybe Tropico 3. We'll see.

I'll be sure to pick this game up again when they come out with the Bioshock 1 & 2 Combo pack for $40 a couple months before the release of Bioshock 3.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Edgecrusher
post Mar 11 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Group Icon

Member No.: 480
PSN Name: JonnyCanonFodder

This game is on my wishlist, I haven't played through the first one yet because for some unknown reason, my 360 refused to run it without crashing at random points. I had the same problem with three different copies of the game, two of which were bought new. When I can afford it, I will probably buy both games together for my PS3.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 01:35 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4