IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Xbox 360, red ring of death, Any ideas how to fix?
Assassin
post Jun 5 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Litterer

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,370
XBL Gamertag: Trakare

Yeah so when I first got my xbox it started having the red ring for about 5 mins then it stooped, now it's about 1 year later and it's started again. It's been going on like this for about a day now.

So, any ideas of how to fix without sending it to Microsoft or will I have to wait about 1 month for it to get repaired?

Also, please no fanboys saying the 360 is shit or whatever.

This post has been edited by Assassin: Jun 5 2010, 01:58 PM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Jun 5 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #2

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

Send it off is the best way to be honest. Keep your warranty in tact incase anything gets worse. I stopped playing my 360 really when it came back from the E74 error, apart from Red Dead, and tbh I'm happy about it.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuffMan
post Jun 5 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #3

I got 99 donuts cause a bitch ate one.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

All the fixes are only temporary afaik. You'll have to send it in eventually, but it won't be covered by the warranty if you've tried to fix it yourself before.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Assassin
post Jun 5 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #4

Litterer

QUOTE (DuffMan @ Jun 6 2010, 12:40 AM) *
All the fixes are only temporary afaik. You'll have to send it in eventually, but it won't be covered by the warranty if you've tried to fix it yourself before.

Ok thanks guys, I haven't tried any of the temporary ones and if it makes the warranty void then I'll just have to wait for it to be fixed.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Assassin
post Jun 6 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #5

Litterer

Also I need something to do while I send my xbox off so anyone know if GTA SA is good for pc?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Walther PPK
post Jun 8 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #6

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 58,409

Basically here is the issue. The Xbox 360 overheats and the solder that holds the chips on the mobo and makes connections melts at about 195 degrees F. So if you can't send it back to MStuff you can try a few temporary and risky fixes yourself.

*drumroll please*

Method 1: The towel trick.

Risk: FIRE - keep an extinguisher handy.

Complexity: Easy

Cost: 1 Xbox and a towel.

Details: Rap the 360 in a warm fluffy towels less HD. Turn it on for 15 to 20 minutes and cook on high. Turn off and let cool for for 15 to 20 minutes. Then enjoy assuming it works.

Method 2: The blow dryer.

Risk: FIRE and electrocution - keep an extinguisher handy.

Complexity: Medium

Cost: 1 Xbox and a hair dryer.

Details: Open the Xbox and remove the mobo. and heat sinks. Apply heat directly to the CPU effected by the high temps and hopfully the solder melts into place again... yeah right. Reassemble and pray it worked. Then enjoy.

Method 3: Reflow the mobo.

Risk: minimal to none

Complexity: Advanced

Cost: Professional with reflow machine

Details: Pay someone to do a reflow on your mobo, it will cost and you might have to ship the mobo to the shop. Once you get it back hopefully your Xbox won't get that hot again.

Prevent this from happening
To everyone who hasn't got the RROD please play in a cooled room. If your room is like 90 degrees it is only going to take 110 more to kill the box. Some preventative measures are to upgrade the 2 fans so they expel more heat. Upgrade the cooling in your room buy a $90 air conditioner.

This post has been edited by Walther PPK: Jun 8 2010, 11:52 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Jun 9 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #7

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 14

This should be moved to "Geek Central" ... also, RROD how too's are like 2-3 years old...

also, you didn't mention removing the Xclamps.... and reseating the heat sink....

If you can send it to MS you SHOULD send it to MS because the above solutions will void your warranty..

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Jun 9 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #8

Capo

Member No.: 42,672

QUOTE (Walther PPK @ Jun 9 2010, 01:51 AM) *
hopfully the solder melts into place again...

So that's why overheating works? I didn't think it got so hot that the solder melted.
But when the solder melts it can go to the wrong places, so I guess you need very much luck for it to get right. But still the towel trick is said to almost always work. Strange.

Method 3: Reflow the mobo.

What means reflowing? Same as resoldering?

Prevent this from happening
To everyone who hasn't got the RROD please play in a cooled room. If your room is like 90 degrees it is only going to take 110 more to kill the box. Some preventative measures are to upgrade the 2 fans so they expel more heat. Upgrade the cooling in your room buy a $90 air conditioner.

90 degrees F (32 Celsius) is damn hot, not to speak about 110 F (43 C)!! If it was 110 F in my living room I think my body would get a RROD too...

There's no such thing as a $90 air donditioner where I live. $2500 is more plausible.

@Assassin, have a look at this site. Website. It advice against the towel trick.

--------------------
The new GTA 5 website. GTA 5 forums.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 31 2010, 06:37 AM) *

That's for you ^
Use it in your sig or avatar because you are very special.

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Jun 9 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #9

Boss
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,397

Sorry to hear about your loss. Use the warranty while you have it.

My first generation 360 (build date early 2006) RROD'd three months after the warranty expired, a friend installed the x-clamps and reseated the heat sink and it worked for another six months. One day I got the RROD and did the towel trick to get it working and traded it into Gamestop for half the cost of a brand new one. Boom.

I'm hoping I never get an RROD again, hopefully with the new chipset, this is a worry of the past.
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Jun 9 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #10

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

When you get it back don't overuse it. I always played like ten hours straight when I was stuck indoors. Now, I've sold my PS3, I value my 360 more. If I played for more than 3 hours straight, I switch it off for half hour.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
ENVi3
post Jun 12 2010, 04:05 AM
Post #11

Numbers Runner
Group Icon

Member No.: 262

QUOTE (demon @ Jun 9 2010, 02:53 AM) *
There's no such thing as a $90 air donditioner where I live. $2500 is more plausible.
I'm pretty sure he meant one of those window ac's, not central ac.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Jun 14 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #12

Capo

QUOTE (ENVi3 @ Jun 12 2010, 12:05 AM) *
QUOTE (demon @ Jun 9 2010, 02:53 AM) *

I'm pretty sure he meant one of those window ac's, not central ac.

For $90 I guess you can buy an electric fan. No AC.

For free you can open some windows. tongue.gif

--------------------

That's for you ^

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Jun 14 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #13

LFC

Member No.: 39,835
PSN Name: trathen

I believe my friend has had 3 rrod's on 360's since December 07. Microsoft fixed it the first time then just replaced it the next time. for the 3rd I believe he was given a high street voucher as a refund for about 3/4 of the value of the console from when he first bought it. we then went down to game and got a ps3 instead (i dont intend to sound like a fanboy btw) I think one of his problems is the fact he never looks after anything. he's even had more shit with his ps3 in about 4 months than ive had with mine in 3 years.

My advice is to look after it when microsoft have fixed it, care for the console and it should be ok ish.

This post has been edited by El-Nino: Jun 14 2010, 03:01 PM

--------------------

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Jun 15 2010, 01:37 AM
Post #14

Capo

^ It doesn't need so much care. unsure.gif More like being careful with it. Not let it become covered with dust or other items while in use. Give it room to breathe.

--------------------

That's for you ^

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Jun 15 2010, 01:55 AM
Post #15

Boss
Group Icon

Yeah, keeping the room ventilated - even a small fan blowing on it can help.
Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post Jun 17 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #16

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

Member No.: 424
XBL Gamertag: aVarkatzas
PSN Name: Asthenia

QUOTE (El-Nino @ Jun 14 2010, 04:00 PM) *
I believe my friend has had 3 rrod's on 360's since December 07. Microsoft fixed it the first time then just replaced it the next time. for the 3rd I believe he was given a high street voucher as a refund for about 3/4 of the value of the console from when he first bought it. we then went down to game and got a ps3 instead (i dont intend to sound like a fanboy btw) I think one of his problems is the fact he never looks after anything. he's even had more shit with his ps3 in about 4 months than ive had with mine in 3 years.

My advice is to look after it when microsoft have fixed it, care for the console and it should be ok ish.

What the hell does he do to it? I have my PS3 on for prolonged amounts of time and haven't had one problem since release day... I just keep it well ventilated. I did it with my 360 too... That still felt the need to RRoD on me though. Hopefully when I get a new one it'll behave better and M$ can redeem themselves.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Walther PPK
post Jun 25 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 58,409

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Jun 9 2010, 12:00 AM) *
This should be moved to "Geek Central" ... also, RROD how too's are like 2-3 years old...

also, you didn't mention removing the Xclamps.... and reseating the heat sink....

If you can send it to MS you SHOULD send it to MS because the above solutions will void your warranty..

First you should really READ before you TYPE. I said IF you can't send it back Duh?

Second you go right ahead remove those Xclamps (about the dumbest fix I have seen) it will apply unwanted pressure and warp your mobo. It will continue to melt the solder too.

QUOTE (demon @ Jun 9 2010, 07:53 AM) *
What means reflowing? Same as resoldering?

No. It is a hot air process also known as reballing.

Sorry to hear that. You can get a 6000 BTU room air conditioner anywhere in the US for $90. So I will assume you live elsewhere.

Basically substandard solder was used making the 360 let's see how they fuck us on the next model.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Jun 25 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #18

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (Walther PPK @ Jun 25 2010, 06:02 AM) *
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Jun 9 2010, 12:00 AM) *

First you should really READ before you TYPE. I said IF you can't send it back Duh?

Nice burn.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Jul 13 2010, 02:04 AM
Post #19

LFC

Member No.: 39,835
PSN Name: trathen

QUOTE (Asthenia @ Jun 17 2010, 09:23 AM) *
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Jun 14 2010, 04:00 PM) *

What the hell does he do to it? I have my PS3 on for prolonged amounts of time and haven't had one problem since release day... I just keep it well ventilated. I did it with my 360 too... That still felt the need to RRoD on me though. Hopefully when I get a new one it'll behave better and M$ can redeem themselves.

Only just read the post so i'll reply.

He doesnt give a shit about anything because mummy and daddy went through a divorce a few years back and he clicks his fingers and gets what he wants. any resistance to his demands will be met with i'll ask dad/mum instead, dependant on which parent says no. if he didnt get the xbox replaced by ms then im sure his dad would have stumped up the cash.

a prime example of his lack of care is when he moved his 360 back to his bedroom and threw it onto his bed and then it bounced off onto the floor. It worked, for a bit. oh, the ps3 was left in a unventilated cupboard and was always on, but thanks to me its working ok now. I told him he's a fucktard for puttin it in there and mummy and daddy aren't going to replace it cos i told them he's a fucktard

--------------------

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 06:47 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4