Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What happens when we die?
Gewehr Soldat
post Oct 30 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #61

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,986

The lights go out, that's it. The electrical impulses in your brain stop, everything you've learned, all the memories you have, your conciousness, your thoughts, your feelings... Everything that made you what you are is lost when your brain stops functioning.

You won't be roaming any astral plains waiting for the son of the invisible man to arrive. (Jesus did not even live up to the prophecies of the messiah in the old testament)
You won't be punished for eternity because you had sex before marriage. (Which brings up the issue of being punished infinitely for finite sins)
You won't go to heaven because you devoted your life to an ancient tribal hebrew god. (Or murdered 36 people and repented just before you got the chair)
You don't have a spirit, so there is no reincarnation. (If you have no memories it's not you anyway, everything that made you "YOU" is gone)

You came from nothingness and you will return to nothingness. Just as you did not exist before your birth, you will cease to exist after your death. Take comfort in this, you won't be concious of anything so it doesn't matter.

The dead feel nothing. The dead are aware of nothing. The dead think nothing... The dead are dead.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scrappy
post Oct 30 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #62

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 120

When you die, your brain dies. When your brain dies, you cannot think, breathe, talk, hear, see, smell, and feel. Therefore, there is no such thing as eternal suffering(Hell, as some of you call it), because your body is what creates pain and pain is physical suffering. With the possibility of eternal suffering ruled out, what about eternal bliss? Eternal bliss(Heaven) would require emotional happiness. Emotions, which includes sorrow, happiness, anger, shock, fear, and so on, are created by the body, so the possibility of eternal bliss is ruled out as well. So what exactly happens when you die? Well, considering your brain is the source of everything that makes up you, you just cease to exist. Without a fully functioning brain, you cannot think, breathe, talk, hear, see, smell, and feel as I previously stated. Let's say you're struck in the eyes with a sharp object. After being struck, you will most likely be blind. Your eyes see everything you see and your brain comprehends all of it. Without your eyes, you cannot see. Without your brain, you cannot live. Without life, without a beating heart, without a functioning brain, you cannot exist.

You don't have to believe this. I am just telling you how death should be with Science incorporated in the theory. I am basing my theory off of proven scientifical information of the human body and all it takes is common sense. If you your brain dies, you die. Your brain makes up everything you are, without it, there is no life, and you cannot exist.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post Oct 31 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #63

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 17,310

QUOTE(Gewehr Soldat @ Oct 30 2005, 05:46 PM) [snapback]978151[/snapback]

The lights go out, that's it. The electrical impulses in your brain stop, everything you've learned, all the memories you have, your conciousness, your thoughts, your feelings... Everything that made you what you are is lost when your brain stops functioning.

You won't be roaming any astral plains waiting for the son of the invisible man to arrive. (Jesus did not even live up to the prophecies of the messiah in the old testament)
You won't be punished for eternity because you had sex before marriage. (Which brings up the issue of being punished infinitely for finite sins)
You won't go to heaven because you devoted your life to an ancient tribal hebrew god. (Or murdered 36 people and repented just before you got the chair)
You don't have a spirit, so there is no reincarnation. (If you have no memories it's not you anyway, everything that made you "YOU" is gone)

You came from nothingness and you will return to nothingness. Just as you did not exist before your birth, you will cease to exist after your death. Take comfort in this, you won't be concious of anything so it doesn't matter.

The dead feel nothing. The dead are aware of nothing. The dead think nothing... The dead are dead.

The only thing I don't get about atheists is the fact that they(you?) say what is and what isn't, using logic and science, but you fail to recognize that there is as much possibilty that a spirit exists as there is that it doesn't. We don't know if a spirit exists, so you just simply can't say that it doesn't.

Scrapizzel explained it excellently, and in a manner that I believe, although I believe that there is a spirit, but it serves no purpose; i.e. no Heaven or Hell, just a soul wandering the earth...just because the physical brain has died doesn't exactly mean that a spirit of some sort is not possible...you must be open-minded about this sort of thing...

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)
Dancin' on a landmine baby one leg left, I can still crawl and I'm not dead yet. You better get a bigger gun, I'm not dead yet.

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)
Have a scripture to recite, but make your own path.

Achievements

+Quote Post
The-real-deal
post Oct 31 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #64

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 25,793

i think we see a white light before we die and go onto another world basically

--------------------
IPB Image
Achievements

+Quote Post
Nanook
post Oct 31 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #65

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Un-American Bastard @ Oct 31 2005, 01:29 AM) [snapback]978273[/snapback]

The only thing I don't get about atheists is the fact that they(you?) say what is and what isn't, using logic and science, but you fail to recognize that there is as much possibilty that a spirit exists as there is that it doesn't. We don't know if a spirit exists, so you just simply can't say that it doesn't.

Scrapizzel explained it excellently, and in a manner that I believe, although I believe that there is a spirit, but it serves no purpose; i.e. no Heaven or Hell, just a soul wandering the earth...just because the physical brain has died doesn't exactly mean that a spirit of some sort is not possible...you must be open-minded about this sort of thing...

Why? Show me proof of a spirit, there is great proof they don't exist, we can't see them!!

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
The-real-deal
post Oct 31 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #66

Upstanding Citizen

yeah but they exist in another universe and even though they can see us we can't see them.

--------------------
IPB Image
Achievements

+Quote Post
Nanook
post Oct 31 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #67

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

And that makes sense to you?

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
9 Ball
post Oct 31 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #68

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 420

QUOTE(Gewehr Soldat @ Oct 30 2005, 05:46 PM) [snapback]978151[/snapback]

Hmm, I agree...Science is a study of all things we see as physical and cannot and never will be
able to prove anything to do with other dimensions etc...
Think about it, how do you know where you are and what you are seeing is reality?
You only think of light as light because thats what you have been told,
what's physical and what's not cannot be proven so easily, definately not by science or logic...

This post has been edited by 9 Ball: Oct 31 2005, 02:21 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
The-real-deal
post Oct 31 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #69

Upstanding Citizen

anything unphisical like light we can't be sure is there but something we can feel like a wall must be there.

--------------------
IPB Image
Achievements

+Quote Post
9 Ball
post Oct 31 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #70

Upstanding Citizen

But how do you know the wall is there...I know it sounds weird but how do you know
that your mind isn't creating the illusion of that wall?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Scrappy
post Oct 31 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #71

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

QUOTE(9 Ball @ Oct 31 2005, 01:05 PM) [snapback]978989[/snapback]

But how do you know the wall is there...I know it sounds weird but how do you know
that your mind isn't creating the illusion of that wall?

The wall is there, because everyone else sees it and feels it, therefore it exists and it is there. What is there exists and what isn't there, but is visible, is a hallucination. A trick your mind plays. But your mind cannot create an illusion that everyone else experiences. If someone sees something much like everyone else, then it exists. If someone sees something unlike everyone else, then it is a hallucination.

This post has been edited by Scrapizzle Muh Nizzle: Oct 31 2005, 03:48 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
9 Ball
post Oct 31 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #72

Upstanding Citizen

How can you be sure that everyone else isn't also an illusion???

This post has been edited by 9 Ball: Oct 31 2005, 04:01 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
FreemanXtreme
post Oct 31 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #73

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 45
XBL Gamertag: IllusiveSpectre

I agree with those who said that when you die, you die. Beliving that you'll be reincarnated, or will be in a sort of "heaven" is something people do to make the thought of death less scary, but I belive it is only a false hope. There isn't proof that your sprit goes anywhere, but there is proof that when your dead, your dead. Dig up a body a month after it was burried and its still there, still dead. I would love to be reincarnated, or become a sprit that could rome the earth or something, but I'm not going to count on that happening.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Scrappy
post Oct 31 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #74

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

QUOTE(9 Ball @ Oct 31 2005, 02:29 PM) [snapback]979085[/snapback]

Aha. With that logic, you think I could possibly an illusion. Which I am not. We are all very real.

smile.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
Kronoz
post Oct 31 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #75

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 2,192

QUOTE(9 Ball @ Oct 31 2005, 05:29 PM) [snapback]979085[/snapback]

Some one has been watching the Matrix too much

Somthing about reincarnation though if you can't remeber your past life the idea of whether the other person is you or just some different gets compilacted, how do you know your past life didn't reincarnate multiple times and stuff and how like you does the next person have to be to be your spirit and would it really matter if they were. *head hurts*

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image
Achievements

+Quote Post
9 Ball
post Oct 31 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #76

Upstanding Citizen

Best not to think about what happens when you die I guess,
without a fear of death there would be no desire for humans to acheive so I guess
there would be no advancement or technology...
Think about this though, if there is nothing after you die you might as well
end your life now because it means nothing, you are insignificant and it won't make
any difference after you are dead...we are nothing.
I myself like to keep an open mind about what happens after death...

This post has been edited by 9 Ball: Oct 31 2005, 09:20 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post Oct 31 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #77

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Nanook @ Oct 31 2005, 08:44 AM) [snapback]978972[/snapback]

Why? Show me proof of a spirit, there is great proof they don't exist, we can't see them!!

*ahem* You can't see air...

Sorry, bad example, but you made a bad example too...there is as much proof they do exist as there is that they don't...if you aren't open-minded, then you come to stupid conclusions, like you saying spirits can't exist because we don't see them or there isn't any proof of them...

There is the proof a spirit doesn't exist as we can't see them, and we can't really acknowledge where they go. There is also proof they do exist, i.e. exorcisms, ghosts, and plenty of paranormal crap that hasn't been explained by the science you follow.

Atheists are generally very intelligent, yet closed-minded, like I said. They believe in what they can see and prove, but fail to acknowledge what can't be proven or hasn't been proven yet.

What I believe is based on logic and what we know; it may be wishful thinking, so be it, but if it is true that death is just "the end of everything", then why should I be afraid of going asleep forever? It isn't wishful thinking, it's open-mindedness...

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)
Dancin' on a landmine baby one leg left, I can still crawl and I'm not dead yet. You better get a bigger gun, I'm not dead yet.

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)

Achievements

+Quote Post
Nanook
post Oct 31 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #78

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

When I say you, I do not mean You in the singular sense, rather you as the group of people, do not take it as aimed at you. I think that made sense.

You believe (or most believe) that afterlife exists so you can feel better about the way you live now. By living a good "chrisitian" life you feel you will be rewarded, and this makes you happy to live a subservient life, but the truth, as far as we know, is that there is no after life. Ghosts, spirits, exorcisms, witches, whatever, all invented by the person or groups to explain.

As mentioned before you see an afterlife as a way of rationilsing death, something which can not be rationalised. Death is death, the end. It is not the begining of a new "better" life somewhere else, that makes no sense.

Maybe I am closed minded, but not so much if I see proof I will believe it. Is that not better than blindly following what people have been saying, without questioning how, or why?

Death is scary when you think about it, it is the end and you will be no more, you have to make your life count. That is all that matters, knowing you didn't waste your life.

Whether we have an afterlife or not, make sure you haven't wasted this one, for it might be all you get.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post Oct 31 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #79

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Nanook @ Oct 31 2005, 04:08 PM) [snapback]979568[/snapback]

When I say you, I do not mean You in the singular sense, rather you as the group of people, do not take it as aimed at you. I think that made sense.

You believe (or most believe) that afterlife exists so you can feel better about the way you live now. By living a good "chrisitian" life you feel you will be rewarded, and this makes you happy to live a subservient life, but the truth, as far as we know, is that there is no after life. Ghosts, spirits, exorcisms, witches, whatever, all invented by the person or groups to explain.

As mentioned before you see an afterlife as a way of rationilsing death, something which can not be rationalised. Death is death, the end. It is not the begining of a new "better" life somewhere else, that makes no sense.

Maybe I am closed minded, but not so much if I see proof I will believe it. Is that not better than blindly following what people have been saying, without questioning how, or why?

Death is scary when you think about it, it is the end and you will be no more, you have to make your life count. That is all that matters, knowing you didn't waste your life.

Whether we have an afterlife or not, make sure you haven't wasted this one, for it might be all you get.

It did make sense...

Ok, but I am not Christian, as the belief system (including "afterlife") they follow is crapshit.

I do not use "wishful" thinking that you mentioned [i]again[i], but I, for numerous reasons previously stated, believe that there is a spirit, and when you die, it is the spirit leaving.

Think of when people have a disease. If they lose the will to live any longer, they won't. It has been witnessed by families...a lot...I believe that there is a certain spirit in everyone, and when something injures/affects the body so that it may not live anymore, the spirit is forced out, ceasing bodily function; known to us as death. The spirit may linger in another dimension/plane on earth and reappear at intervals at will, or it may just cease to exist (or choose not to reenter our dimension/plane unless called upon to do so...). That seems logical enough for me, and leaves nothing to hope for in death, so I cannot think that I am merely searching for a rational explanation for death.

I cannot find reason to ever say that "death is the end and that is all there is to it, because we can't see a spirit and can't prove it exists even though it might exist for reasons known to people that have experienced things that suggest/prove a spirit function/world/dimension/plane..."

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)

Achievements

+Quote Post
Napolean
post Oct 31 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #80

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 6,236

we respawn at a hospital like in gta

--------------------
IPB Image
Achievements

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2014 - 09:47 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4