IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Ok, so where's the fun in this exactly?
DuffMan
post Jun 4 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #1

I got 99 donuts cause a bitch ate one.
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Yeah, I hate to be a cynic but I really am not seeing the appeal of this game atm.

In singleplayer I have spent my whole time herding cows and horses.
In multiplayer I get shot whenever I move anywhere.
And all the good stuff is unlocked after grinding extremely repetitive challenges. It just reeks of RPG.

So why are you guys loving it so much?

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kuwong
post Jun 4 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #2

Pickpocket

Group: Members
Member No.: 870

Because there is more to a game than multiplayer, and single player picks up after like, two missions of herding cattle or horses. Then it's all fun gun fights and exploration.

Also you say "it reeks of RPG" like it's a bad thing. RPG's are good, and this is a great cross between the two, fantastic realism, and all the fun of simulating the wild west, while still having fun filled action throughout.

I guess it's not enough of a generic FPS game, but to me it's amazing, game of the year so far, there's just so much to do and so much fun involved.

I guess I can't really explain the "appeal" of it, just as much as I can't describe a colour to a blind man.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
TwoFacedTanner
post Jun 4 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #3

Clepto

Member No.: 908
XBL Gamertag: IanCredible988

Ive always been big on westerns, having been raised by my grandpa who has enough western movies to build a house with.
But this game isn't exactly like them, its a new fresh look at the wild west. The end of the wild west.
I guess that is its appeal to me.
Plus I'm a sucker for a good story, which Rockstar always delivers on. Sometimes better than Bioware. I swear to go some of Bioware's games are like playing Books on Tape. But thats off the point.
Great story, fun game play, and the multiplayer gets better as you get used to it. Believe me I wanted to throw my controller through the TV the first time I played it. I couldn't twitch a nose hair without getting shot.
Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post Jun 5 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #4

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 424
XBL Gamertag: aVarkatzas
PSN Name: Asthenia

Please. Go and play a real RPG before saying this reeks of it... It very lightly borders anything remotely RPG-like.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuffMan
post Jun 5 2010, 04:36 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Asthenia @ Jun 5 2010, 01:11 AM) *
Please. Go and play a real RPG before saying this reeks of it... It very lightly borders anything remotely RPG-like.

Doesn't really answer the question though does it? Having to pass repetitive quests ti improve your character sounds a lot like an RPG to me. What RPG isn't like that?

QUOTE (Kuwong @ Jun 4 2010, 09:57 PM) *
Because there is more to a game than multiplayer, and single player picks up after like, two missions of herding cattle or horses. Then it's all fun gun fights and exploration.

Also you say "it reeks of RPG" like it's a bad thing. RPG's are good, and this is a great cross between the two, fantastic realism, and all the fun of simulating the wild west, while still having fun filled action throughout.

I guess it's not enough of a generic FPS game, but to me it's amazing, game of the year so far, there's just so much to do and so much fun involved.

I guess I can't really explain the "appeal" of it, just as much as I can't describe a colour to a blind man.

Yes, RPGs are a bad thing. I don't see the logic behind a message that says I can't buy a gun because I'm not levelled enough. I earned the money, let me use the fucking gun.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Jun 5 2010, 04:52 AM
Post #6

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

Go have a sook about it.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Kuwong
post Jun 5 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #7

Pickpocket

I agree, basically Duff you want a game where you're given everything from the start, and thus having nothing to look forward to.

Besides, GTA IV and all other GTA's were the same. Couldn't buy certain guns until later on in the game. Couldn't find certain vehicles until later on. All kinds of "fps" games make you unlock items, especially in multiplayer.

I agree with Pelican, go cry in your own room and play your "non repetitive games" (like a thing exists, all games are repetitive) and enjoy missing out on RDR, a fantastic game.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post Jun 5 2010, 08:53 AM
Post #8

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

Member No.: 424
XBL Gamertag: aVarkatzas
PSN Name: Asthenia

QUOTE (DuffMan @ Jun 5 2010, 05:36 AM) *
QUOTE (Asthenia @ Jun 5 2010, 01:11 AM) *

Doesn't really answer the question though does it? Having to pass repetitive quests ti improve your character sounds a lot like an RPG to me. What RPG isn't like that?

I wasn't trying to answer your question, why would I try and answer it just so you can come back and say "yeah but I'm a dick so I'm going to fight your point."?

"Repetitive quests"? Stinks of Grand Theft Auto to me. Go here, shoot guys, watch cutscene. And I'm pretty sure the "repetitive quests" are to progress the story line, not to improve the character.

One last thing.
Herding cattle is the equivalent of learning to drive a car in GTA. You have to learn to control the horse under pressure, and it helps you to learn the controls.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jun 5 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #9

Still Standing
Group Icon

Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

QUOTE (DuffMan @ Jun 4 2010, 09:36 PM) *
Yeah, I hate to be a cynic but I really am not seeing the appeal of this game atm.

In singleplayer I have spent my whole time herding cows and horses.
In multiplayer I get shot whenever I move anywhere.
And all the good stuff is unlocked after grinding extremely repetitive challenges. It just reeks of RPG.

So why are you guys loving it so much?

Singleplayer. Simple. Play it more. Give it a chance.

Multiplayer. Challenges with friends in freeroam. Competitive matches.

Unlockables. Don't need to grind the same challenges. Try getting your bounty right up and watch the xp roll in. Chaining your kills = more xp too.

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Jun 5 2010, 09:51 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Jun 5 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

Took me a few hours to get into the game, but it does get much better.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Assassin
post Jun 5 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #11

Litterer

Member No.: 58,370
XBL Gamertag: Trakare

QUOTE (DuffMan @ Jun 5 2010, 11:34 PM) *
QUOTE (Kuwong @ Jun 5 2010, 07:34 AM) *
Besides, GTA IV and all other GTA's were the same. Couldn't buy certain guns until later on in the game. Couldn't find certain vehicles until later on. All kinds of "fps" games make you unlock items, especially in multiplayer.

They were unlocked via natural progression of the story, not running around the countryside shooting a certain number of animals.

QUOTE (Asthenia @ Jun 5 2010, 09:53 AM) *
"Repetitive quests"? Stinks of Grand Theft Auto to me. Go here, shoot guys, watch cutscene. And I'm pretty sure the "repetitive quests" are to progress the story line, not to improve the character.

One last thing.
Herding cattle is the equivalent of learning to drive a car in GTA. You have to learn to control the horse under pressure, and it helps you to learn the controls.

Repetitive quests = shoot some animals, complete quest, go shoot some more animals.

Difference is, the driving is fun. Pushing cows into a farm is not.

Well if you wanted to drive cars and shoot gangsters you bought the wrong game, go play some GTA rather than having a sook about a game that doesn't have an infernes in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Kuwong
post Jun 5 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #12

Pickpocket

then you bought the wrong game, what did you expect? it's the wild west, praised for it's realism and animal herding, skills. Duffman then comes along "Oh god I can't wait to drive cars and shit, and while the game includes as much human shooting as it does animal shooting, which isn't 100% necessary, you still pick out that you "shoot animals" and not any human beings at all"

It seems to me you've found a reason to hate it, but are too embarrassed to say, so you're trying to find other faults to make your biased hate for the game seem just.

This is more so confirmed by the fact you've deleted your post that Assassin quoted.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Jun 5 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #13

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Member No.: 10,896
PSN Name: ViceyThaShizzle

Fucks sake, about three of the sixty odd missions involve cattle herding. And you don't unlock weapons through completeing challenges, you can acquire them via this means but they are available to buy just through completing missions. It works in exactly the same way as GTA.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuffMan
post Jun 5 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

So I've bought the wrong game. Wake me up when GTA V is out.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 10:09 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4