DuPz0r
post Jul 23 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #1

Still Standing
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

So we have the first few handfuls of "3DTVs" on the market at the moment. These are TVs built with similar technology that you may remember from those 80's 3D hologram cards. The screens use an array of tiny lenses at different angles, which in turn shows the left eye and the right eye different images. Your brain then constructs the 3D image, so it's like an optical-illusion. There is a processing chip in the Phillips new TV which calculates in real time what the left and the right eye should see. The screens are built so you can view in 3d without using 3d glasses, and still get that wow factor.

I was just wondering what you guys think of this? is it just another money making ploy, or do you believe it will be an awesome move in the right direction? I think this is a great technology, and it is about time we start to see things on a 3D display (or is it really fully 3D?) rather than 2D. I mean, how old is 2D display now... Mega old. Anyway, i think this is a great way for advertisement and the games industry to be moving in. Which they are btw. There is currently games being developed for this type of display as we speak. I had an interview at the University of Hertfordshire for a place in 3D Games Art. And he even started talking about it there. He told me that they are always getting the latest technology for all the students to work with, which is a must if they want to make it in the quickly evolving industry. He then started talking about 3D in games. And said he was new to it, but is already making wonderful looking gaming experiences with his students. I got a place in that Uni btw happy.gif.

Anyway, what do you think? Is this an exciting move? or do you think it is just meh?

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Jul 23 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #2

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

Should have gone to University of Central Lancashire like I am >_>

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Jul 23 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #3

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

sounds like it will be expensive, plus i don't always want to watch stuff in 3D anway.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jul 23 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pieface @ Jul 23 2009, 12:23 PM) [snapback]1514265[/snapback]
Should have gone to University of Central Lancashire like I am >_>

Yeah i did see a demonstration by them at the UCAS fair in London a few months ago. I thought it looked ok, but UH impressed me more, so that was my primary choice, it is rated 2nd best for games art in the country. I think Plymouth or something was the best. It's just too far for me to travel, as i have a family.

Yeah Q, It probably will be mega expensive right now. But I'm sure that once there is more developments in games and films that are compatible, it'll become cheaper to produce by then. I'm guessing around 2012 by the time it'll be really mainstream though.

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Jul 23 2009, 03:39 PM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Jul 23 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #5

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

well, 2012 is the end of the world, so i don't reckon i'd want to invest in something i'd only use for 6mo or less..

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Jul 23 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #6

Poshboy...

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

I dont want these TVs. Someone will think that 2D TVs should be shut off, and that will spoil the pleasure of TV. What if you live in a small house? Still QD, at least we will see the olimpics.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jul 24 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #7

Still Standing
Group Icon

People with partial blindness will be fucked though. They can't see this shit. So they'd have to keep 2D TV's for them at least.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Jul 24 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #8

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

it won't be a crisp image... you know what those 3D holographs look like? a blurry mess to me, that's what... i don't like it... and i don't see any benefits to 3D except for the occasional WOW factor... HDTV is the latest TV upgrade and i think it's good enough for me... maybe one day i'll invest in an SHDTV (super high-def) since that's pry the next move but, i don't see 3DTV working at all... it just doesn't look like a good long term investment... it seems gimmicky... a fad...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jul 24 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jul 24 2009, 05:53 PM) [snapback]1514494[/snapback]
it won't be a crisp image... you know what those 3D holographs look like? a blurry mess to me, that's what... i don't like it... and i don't see any benefits to 3D except for the occasional WOW factor... HDTV is the latest TV upgrade and i think it's good enough for me... maybe one day i'll invest in an SHDTV (super high-def) since that's pry the next move but, i don't see 3DTV working at all... it just doesn't look like a good long term investment... it seems gimmicky... a fad...

The processor in the TV will make the image very crisp. Because it will channel what each eye should see. I just used the hologram card as a basic example.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Jul 24 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #10

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

i still don't see much of a future for it... but then again, that's my opinion... this world seems to always be looking for the next great thing right after they released the next great thing... so who knows, everyone else might like this concept but, i think its garbage quite honestly...

it's the same way i feel about 3D movies... it's become so normal to see 2 or 3 movies in the theaters at a time utilizing this feature that it's worn out its pizazz.. it's become a cheap marketing tool to take more money out of your wallets... this new TV idea has the same feel... your gonna have to not only fork over money for your HD channels but now, if you want them in 3D, your gonna have to pay even more... TV should always be free but sadly, it's not the case anymore...

i just don't see any use for it for me... even in gaming, i don't see a use for it... if we're going that route, why don't they just make virtual reality already?? i'd rather see that than 3DTV... it'd be much better to view shows and games in a totally virtual world where you can see the scenes from any angle you want...

blah, but now i am just ranting and babbling on, getting off topic... sorry...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Jul 24 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #11

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

QUOTE(DuPz0r @ Jul 24 2009, 10:24 AM) [snapback]1514444[/snapback]
People with partial blindness will be fucked though. They can't see this shit. So they'd have to keep 2D TV's for them at least.

That's a good point ^ cool.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 12:01 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4