Closed TopicStart new topic
> controls
andy42s
post May 19 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Nobody Special

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,248

WTF is up with them? I was hoping they would mimmic GTA. I don't know how many times I've missed an animal because the instant I needed to pull the trigger I pushed the button and nothing happened. R2 is extremely unnatural to fire with. On the pause menu I found a "controls" option, but no way to change them. All it does is show me that they set them up wrong. If I ever get used to these controls, then feel like playing GTA, it will start all over again. Also changing weapons is overly complicated. I shouldn't have to use 2 different buttons at the same time to change a weapon. Controlling the horse's speed is retarded too. Especially if you want to slow down a little. All I have to say is that I'm pretty fuckin pissed that they delayed the game for 7 months, and it's this difficult to control shit. angry.gif Is there any way to change the controls?
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kuwong
post May 19 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #2

Pickpocket

Member No.: 870

R2 was used to fire your guns in GTA IV, as was L2 I recall. You also use R2 to accelerate, etc. Really it makes perfect sense. It's not hard to adjust to different control schemes between games, I do it so easily.

You people get upset too easily, give it a day and you'l get used to the controls, or at least spend some time learning them, don't just rush off ready to find and do everything.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post May 19 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

QUOTE (Kuwong @ May 19 2010, 08:24 AM) *
You people get upset too easily, give it a day and you'l get used to the controls, or at least spend some time learning them, don't just rush off ready to find and do everything.

Very well put.

I'm glad the controls aren't EXACTLY like GTA. That would be lame and lazy. The controls are very unique and do take a little getting used to. That's why the first half dozen missions are really focusing on getting used to the new control scheme. I figure it'll be a few days until I stop whipping out my gun and scaring the shit out of everyone in town when I'm trying to jump or something. Soon, this will be second nature to me.
Achievements

+Quote Post
JamieMilne
post May 19 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #4

Hustler

Group: Staff
Member No.: 2,374
PSN Name: jamievxr

yeah R2 was fire, in gta iv lol. so i dont know what everybodys complaining about, ( everybody as in ive read this on a few fourms now lol ) .
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post May 19 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #5

doesn't play well with others...

Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

i'm already an expert horse rider and hunter, all it takes is a couple of days and you'll be good at it... same goes for the other controls...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post May 20 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #6

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

For the longest time I didn't use Dead Eye just so I could get better at shooting when mounted. Worked out pretty well. I have the aiming on expert too so I don't depend on auto-aiming at all. All preparing for some strict online multiplayer.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
BAMF
post May 20 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #7

Litterer

Member No.: 58,181
XBL Gamertag: Serotonin777

QUOTE (andy42s @ May 19 2010, 07:05 AM) *
WTF is up with them? I was hoping they would mimmic GTA. I don't know how many times I've missed an animal because the instant I needed to pull the trigger I pushed the button and nothing happened. R2 is extremely unnatural to fire with. On the pause menu I found a "controls" option, but no way to change them. All it does is show me that they set them up wrong. If I ever get used to these controls, then feel like playing GTA, it will start all over again. Also changing weapons is overly complicated. I shouldn't have to use 2 different buttons at the same time to change a weapon. Controlling the horse's speed is retarded too. Especially if you want to slow down a little. All I have to say is that I'm pretty fuckin pissed that they delayed the game for 7 months, and it's this difficult to control shit. angry.gif Is there any way to change the controls?

Getting used to controller schemes when bouncing from game to game is a BIG problem and I agree that nothing is more frustrating than failing at a challenge only because you have the buttons wrong. I had trouble helping Nigel in his sales pitch because I hadn't learned that I had to lock on to a guy before I could punch the hell out of him. But, any way, I agree with the others who are encouraging you to simply make the adjustment and move on. Me, I'm sticking with RDR for a while, cause switching up games causes too much "controller dissonance".
Achievements

+Quote Post
andy42s
post May 20 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #8

Nobody Special

QUOTE (JamieMilne @ May 19 2010, 06:57 AM) *
yeah R2 was fire, in gta iv lol. so i dont know what everybodys complaining about, ( everybody as in ive read this on a few fourms now lol ) .

R1 is fire for me on GTA, because you can actually change them on that game. I'm getting used to them now, but I still think they are retarded. Since I've aquired another rifle, it now can take pushing 3 fucking buttons at the same time to change weapons. Not very cool when I'm getting shot at.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Kuwong
post May 20 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #9

Pickpocket

Well suck it up and learn to like the control scheme used by millions of people who own both games.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Indy
post May 22 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #10

Vandal

Member No.: 23,844

Would've been good if the speed your horse was travelling at was maintained when you went into aiming mode.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 22 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #11

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

Member No.: 424
XBL Gamertag: aVarkatzas
PSN Name: Asthenia

The game isn't retarded, you are. Why does everyone bitch about games having different control schemes?

Protip; stop playing games. Go outside and bitch about 2 different blades of grass being different shades of same colour, and how retarded it is. That way we don't have to read your drivel.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
BAMF
post May 22 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #12

Litterer

Member No.: 58,181
XBL Gamertag: Serotonin777

QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 22 2010, 06:47 AM) *
The game isn't retarded, you are. Why does everyone bitch about games having different control schemes?

Protip; stop playing games. Go outside and bitch about 2 different blades of grass being different shades of same colour, and how retarded it is. That way we don't have to read your drivel.

Well said again, you pirate motha-fucka! I know it is a bit ironic to talk about how "intuitive" the use of a standard controller is relative to a given game world but I'm very interested to see how R*, and other developers for that matter, think up new ways of adapting control mechanics to the unique activities in each game. Again, horses are not cars so we should expect a fresh approach to controlling them.

Speaking of which, yesterday I finally got serious about learning how to toss horse shoes. No ringers yet but at least I can win a game here and there!
Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 22 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #13

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

QUOTE (BAMF @ May 22 2010, 01:35 PM) *
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 22 2010, 06:47 AM) *

Well said again, you pirate motha-fucka! I know it is a bit ironic to talk about how "intuitive" the use of a standard controller is relative to a given game world but I'm very interested to see how R*, and other developers for that matter, think up new ways of adapting control mechanics to the unique activities in each game. Again, horses are not cars so we should expect a fresh approach to controlling them.

Speaking of which, yesterday I finally got serious about learning how to toss horse shoes. No ringers yet but at least I can win a game here and there!

Also well said... I like this little thing we've got going on. wink.gif

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post May 22 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #14

LFC

Member No.: 39,835
PSN Name: trathen

doesnt mean much to me. i constantly switch between MW2, Bad company 2, GTA and midnight club. every one has different controls and it makes no difference to me. it takes a minute to adjust and then im fine. i dont personally think the controls should mimic gta, because its not GTA

--------------------

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 22 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #15

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

QUOTE (El-Nino @ May 22 2010, 11:19 PM) *
doesnt mean much to me. i constantly switch between MW2, Bad company 2, GTA and midnight club. every one has different controls and it makes no difference to me. it takes a minute to adjust and then im fine. i dont personally think the controls should mimic gta, because its not GTA

notworthy.gif Ladies and Fine Gentlemen, I present to you a gamer.....

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Kuwong
post May 22 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #16

Pickpocket

my one gripe with the controls is horse back fighting. You have to hold left trigger (L2) to aim, left stick to steer, thats easy. Then with your right hand you have to tap A (X) with thumb or first finger to keep the horse moving, right analogue stick to aim and pull right trigger (R2) with any free fingers you've got around the trigger. Such a pain, but you adapt to find a happy medium with horse fighting.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post May 23 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #17

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

^I'm totally pretty good at that. I like how your horse will actually follow the road partly. Helps a lot.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post May 23 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #18

doesn't play well with others...

Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

QUOTE (Kuwong @ May 22 2010, 06:24 PM) *
my one gripe with the controls is horse back fighting. You have to hold left trigger (L2) to aim, left stick to steer, thats easy. Then with your right hand you have to tap A (X) with thumb or first finger to keep the horse moving, right analogue stick to aim and pull right trigger (R2) with any free fingers you've got around the trigger. Such a pain, but you adapt to find a happy medium with horse fighting.

pssht... that's nothing if you've ever played "heavy rain" laugh.gif... the controls get twice as hard sometimes...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post May 23 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #19

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

He has. wink.gif

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
andy42s
post May 23 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #20

Nobody Special

obviously none of the developers of this game have ever shot an actual firearm, nor have any of you. No one squeezes the trigger with thier middle finger (which rests on the R2). It's only natural for me to use my index finger to fire weapons, which is on the fucking R1!
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 06:37 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4