DuPz0r
post Jan 1 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Still Standing
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

I really need to make myself a decent looking portfolio website ready for my third year, but have no idea where to start. I don't really have much experience in html or any other internet coding. I did make a basic crappy looking website for a college project once, but that wasn't anything special.

I've made the first steps by buying my own domain. I still need a host, but i dunno how much i should be paying for that. And i would like to know if there is any decent tutorials out there or even if you guys have any decent knowledge of web creation to pass on to me.

I want a nice clean portfolio but with some flash or something to to scroll through my work in a nice way. Have you guys got any cool suggestions on styles you've seen and/or how to implement those ideas?

Thanks.

Actually I'm not really that interested in a flash website. Just as long as i can make it look nice. Obviously i have an eye for design, i just wouldn't know much about adding it all together on the web page.

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Jan 1 2011, 08:32 PM

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Jan 1 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

I couldn't help you with any of that, I just use a drag and drop site builder but I've been looking at some R* employees personal sites. Maybe they could give you an idea how to produce a decent looking [portfolio] site?

Felipe Busquets
Lead Cinematics Animator at Rockstar North - Edinburgh

bthekid3d

ThePiratesChest (Blog)
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jan 1 2011, 09:21 PM
Post #3

Still Standing
Group Icon

Cheers Marney.

I guess i could use a drag and drop builder and just change the graphics and designs... Or i could try and learn more about dream-weaver...

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Indy
post Jan 3 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #4

Vandal

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,844

I would definitely recommend using dreamweaver. If you're unsure of how to make your website try using some of their templates.
However, it will be very time consuming making a website on dreamweaver, so I'd recommend it only if you've got the time. You should also look into HTML5.
Try this website for tutorials: http://www.tutorialized.com/
You could also email Psy and ask for advice.

Another thing, a flash website wouldn't be that difficult to do if you're competent at flash.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
cuda is your boi
post Jan 3 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #5

Vandal
Group Icon

Member No.: 16

i'm paying 5/month for my 1.6GB webspace and about 10/year for a domain.

learning html and css is very easy really, i recommend some w3schools.com reading up.

once you got some control over that, javascript is the next step, you won't even have to learn that much, check out jquery and scriptaculous.

a lot of people, especially in uni, seem to think basic web design involves programming knowledge, which is very wrong. if you're studying multimedia design, i can't tell you how important it is to have some control over the web.

i started learning html by looking at websites source,

view-source:http://www.igrandtheftauto.com/

just by looking at iGTA.com source, you can learn a lot about the HTML structure.

CSS:

http://www.igrandtheftauto.com/css/lostanddamned.css

It might seem like a lot in the start, but you can have control over stuff like this if you put your head around it for a week or two.

--------------------

I AM NOT A LIER SIR PLEASE DONT CALL ME ONE I SEEN THE WEB SITE WOULD U LIKE TO C IT?

Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Jan 4 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #6

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

Dupzor. You're best off making a very basic design, and slowly build it up from there. Dreamweaver is good, but if you use the WYSIWYG approach, you will get a load of unneeded coding which will clog it up in the future.

I started doing a portfolio website, then I realised I was doing a course in Natural Hazard Management, so it's quite useless... Might pick it back up again for fun. lol.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jan 4 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #7

Still Standing
Group Icon

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll start reading some tutorials in my spare time.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Psy
post Jan 4 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #8

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
XBL Gamertag: Psyware
PSN Name: Psycopsy
Xfire Identity: Psyware

Instead of using flash, I suggest using some jQuery plugins for a gallery/slideshow. It'll work on pretty much all browsers, it's quicker to load in terms of file size and you don't need any plugins to make it work. They're pretty easy to use too and you'll usually get a step by step tutorial with them guiding you through it. Obviously for some things you will need Flash, e.g. if you want to have a controllable 3D rotating view of a 3D model you've made or something, but to slide through images, javascript/jQuery would be my suggested method.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jan 5 2011, 01:26 AM
Post #9

Still Standing
Group Icon

Thanks Psy, will look it up smile.gif

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Jan 5 2011, 05:14 AM
Post #10

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

I agree with Psy, flash bogs down sites, and since your doing a portfolio type website having the very high degree of interactivity that flash provides isn't required.

Creating web pages is pretty easy as long as you know what you want and how to copy and past. You need front page or dream weaver because it makes testing a lot easier. There are also a lot of commercial solutions that can be bought outright but they kinda suck. (or are outrageously priced)

As far hosting, i would go with a known name like Network Solutions or Godaddy, or something like that because a lot of the 2.99/mo hosting websites around are less than reputable and they'll hold your site hostage the moment you do anything they consider "using to much resources"...

This post has been edited by Qdeathstar: Jan 5 2011, 05:22 AM

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Jan 5 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #11

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Jan 5 2011, 05:14 AM) *
I agree with Psy, flash bogs down sites, and since your doing a portfolio type website having the very high degree of interactivity that flash provides isn't required.

Creating web pages is pretty easy as long as you know what you want and how to copy and past. You need front page or dream weaver because it makes testing a lot easier. There are also a lot of commercial solutions that can be bought outright but they kinda suck. (or are outrageously priced)

As far hosting, i would go with a known name like Network Solutions or Godaddy, or something like that because a lot of the 2.99/mo hosting websites around are less than reputable and they'll hold your site hostage the moment you do anything they consider "using to much resources"...

Good tips, thanks Qd.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 03:07 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4