IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vancouver Olympics 2010, The biggest event of the year (or atleast I like to think so)
0bs3n3
post Mar 1 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #41

Leece

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,792

Yeah I think I'm 50% gayer after watch Johnny Weir figure skating last week.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DiO
post Mar 1 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #42

Forgot about member titles for awhile there...
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 1,564

QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Feb 28 2010, 07:33 PM) *
pssh! bitch please! the most overall is what counts.

No its not.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Mar 1 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #43

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

QUOTE (D-O @ Mar 1 2010, 10:35 AM) *

No its not.

...says the team who won the most gold medals... if you won the most medals, you'd say that is what matters...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Masta
post Mar 1 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #44

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,870

Most Golds is what matters the most.

Every athlete goes to the games to win Gold, they don't go to win Silver or Bronze(with a few exceptions who just wanted any medal period). Silver and Bronze medals are the consolation prizes, Gold is what everyone trains and competes for.

Total medals is important but not as much as total Golds, the difference between the U.S and Canada in these Games is that we were the best at being #1, America was best at being #2 and best at being #3. Congrats USA. smile.gif

Never mind the fact that Canada set records for most Gold's by a host nation and most Gold's for any nation in the history of the Games period.

No matter how you slice it Canada emerged as the top country in these games, even many of the American athletes have stated as much.

Given the amount of money invested in our athletes over the past 4 years meant to ensure as much we damn well should be, the question is how much of that funding is going to continue now that our home soil event has passed and it's on to Russia next time. Already many corporate sponsorships have been canceled or not renewed for many of our athletes and I doubt we'll see another performance like that from Canada's Olympians in 4 years.

I mean I'm sure now that they have a taste for Gold Canada's athletes will push themselves to win even more next time around but I'm sure Russia is dumping money into it's athletics programs just as we did and they will most likely be the ones to beat come 2014. Every host nation always dumps loads of cash on it's athletes to ensure a good performance on home soil, but that funding usually dries up once the Games move on to the next country and it seems Canada will be no different. sad.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
Bain
post Mar 1 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #45

Rat
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,884

QUOTE (Masta @ Mar 1 2010, 11:14 AM) *

Every athlete goes to the games to win Gold, they don't go to win Silver or Bronze(with a few exceptions who just wanted any medal period). Silver and Bronze medals are the consolation prizes, Gold is what everyone trains and competes for.

Total medals is important but not as much as total Golds, the difference between the U.S and Canada in these Games is that we were the best at being #1, America was best at being #2 and best at being #3. Congrats USA. smile.gif

Never mind the fact that Canada set records for most Gold's by a host nation and most Gold's for any nation in the history of the Games period.

No matter how you slice it Canada emerged as the top country in these games, even many of the American athletes have stated as much.

Given the amount of money invested in our athletes over the past 4 years meant to ensure as much we damn well should be, the question is how much of that funding is going to continue now that our home soil event has passed and it's on to Russia next time. Already many corporate sponsorships have been canceled or not renewed for many of our athletes and I doubt we'll see another performance like that from Canada's Olympians in 4 years.

I mean I'm sure now that they have a taste for Gold Canada's athletes will push themselves to win even more next time around but I'm sure Russia is dumping money into it's athletics programs just as we did and they will most likely be the ones to beat come 2014. Every host nation always dumps loads of cash on it's athletes to ensure a good performance on home soil, but that funding usually dries up once the Games move on to the next country and it seems Canada will be no different. sad.gif

I dont even know what the word is for a person like you....

Do you want us to say America sucks, Canada is the shit every time you enter a topic?

Canada kicked ass at gold, but its obvious the US has more competitors overall that are some of the highest skilled. We all rule, we all suck, it doesnt matter.

Why dont you just write hate mail to every citizen and politician in America and get your values across....

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Mar 1 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #46

more gold medals means you had better athletes in the events that you won in... more medals means overall, your team had the better athletes... you placed in more events which tells the world that your athletes are some of the best...

--------------------

Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Mar 1 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #47

Get off my Planet

Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Mar 1 2010, 12:33 AM) *
E_Z

OFF TOPIC: i see your playing MAG, huh?

No, Raven's Nest is an organization in Armored Core

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Mar 1 2010, 10:43 AM) *
QUOTE (D-O @ Mar 1 2010, 10:35 AM) *

No its not.

...says the team who won the most gold medals... if you won the most medals, you'd say that is what matters...

So, you're jealous we beat you then...
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Mar 1 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #48

nope, i'm not jealous because, i don't really care for the olympics...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Mar 1 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #49

Get off my Planet

XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles

oOk....

Still... Canada is superior, in case anybody didn't know
Achievements

+Quote Post
Masta
post Mar 1 2010, 07:59 PM
Post #50

Nobody Special
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bain @ Mar 1 2010, 11:23 AM) *

Do you want us to say America sucks, Canada is the shit every time you enter a topic?

Canada kicked ass at gold, but its obvious the US has more competitors overall that are some of the highest skilled. We all rule, we all suck, it doesnt matter.

Why dont you just write hate mail to every citizen and politician in America and get your values across....

You are joking, right?

This entire Olympics the huge rivalry was Canada vs USA, down to the very last event. This was promoted by the media on both sides of the border.

It's a natural rivalry born of two very similar countries sharing long borders and cultures that transcends just sports.

Pull that stick out of your ass man, this has nothing to do with politics or me hating the American government.

American athletes did well and should be proud of their achievements, but the fact is we owned the Gold this Games and since every athlete dreams of Gold above all else even those athletes aren't brash enough to hawk off the Canadian achievements as quickly as most of their American fans are.

I repeatedly heard and saw Canadians cheering on American athletes in numerous events and I personally left messages of congrats via the Olympic forums for a few of the American athletes(and a 'good game' message for team USA after the gold match for womens hockey), but all I've seen and heard from non-Olympian Americans since the games ended last night is how America did better than Canada cause you got more overall medals.

During the hockey game I tried to wish the American fans at the bar good luck but all I got was "fuck you, you're going down pussies" and similar hateful crap from them. Luckily they escalated to physical violence after the first period and were tossed before the 2nd began and the rest of the night was peaceful and fun.

I got home and went through some chat logs from a site streaming the game I'm on and saw 99% of the American fans on there having acted the exact same way with their trollish and hateful comments.

Then I come on here and see the same argument and of course I decided to add my 2 cents.

I have no doubt that there are many decent Americans out there, they just aren't well known because they haven't discovered booze or the internet yet... America gets a bad rep because it's dumbest and most arrogant citizens are also it's most vocal on the world wide web.

I don't have a problem with Americans, I have a problem with asshole Americans. More so than I have a problem with asshole Canadians because asshole Americans tend to be far more annoying and 'in your face'. Asshole Frenchmen are the worst but oddly given how much people talk about them I have only actually met a couple in my time.

Anyways I didn't make this rivalry Bain, I'm just going with the flow. For someone who has always been as militant as you are I'm surprised you'd take issue with such a nationalistic rivalry, or maybe not... You take issue with pretty much anything I say even if I'm agreeing with you. rolleyes.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
TreeFitty
post Mar 1 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #51

[ShitKickers] Posse
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35,531
PSN Name: therealtreefitty

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Mar 1 2010, 01:00 PM) *
nope, i'm not jealous because, i don't really care for the olympics...

same.

USA WON IT!!! USA WON IT!!! USA WON IT!!!

--------------------
gta 5

People say I'm crazy for running into burning buildings. I say I'm crazy because I do it for free.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Masta
post Mar 1 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #52

Nobody Special
Group Icon

On the subject of the gold medal hockey game I was very happy to see Team USA play the way it did and make the game and the whole tournament very interesting after being considered to have no real chance of winning by most experts(American, Canadian, Russian, etc.) at the beginning of the Games.

That is because I'm a Leafs fan and Leafs GM Brian Burke and Leafs coach Ron Wilson who served in those roles for Team USA as well showed all doubters that they are both capable of fielding a winning team that at the very least is one of the best and is very hard to play against and doesn't go down without a fight. Also Kessel was repping the Blue and White as well for Team USA.

What we saw from Team USA in these Games is Burke and Wilson's vision for a winning team that they are trying to put together with the Leafs - solid goal-tending and solid defense with a strong physical core that may not be an offensive juggernaut but will be extremely tough to play against and will limit the opposition's chances to score so that it only takes a few goals from them to win a game.

So far Burkie has gotten a few good cornerstones to build that team off of in Kessel, Phaneuf, Giguere, Komisarek and a few others that when matched with some good partners in the future will provide the Leafs with one of the toughest lineups in the league to play against.

Basically Burkie and Wilson want to win using a strong physical game combined with a small amount of offensive talent, but if they do lose they want the opposition to be exhausted, battered and bruised in claiming the victory.

Team USA showed exactly that in taking the much favored Canuck squad to OT and making them pay for their gold medal right from the opening buzzer with some punishing plays.

So although I was cheering for Canada I was also cheering on the USA squad to make the game as good as possible, and if they had won it I wouldn't have been quite so upset knowing the Leafs have some good management behind them to build a winning team in the coming seasons.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Masta
post Mar 2 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #53

Nobody Special
Group Icon

So where you at Jacko?

Hockey final standings:

Mens -

Gold: Canada
Silver: USA
Bronze: Finland

Womens -

Gold: Canada
Silver: USA
Bronze: Finland

Not only did both Finnish teams deserve medals but they both actually got them, and in the Mens' case they pulled off a big win over the Slovaks to get it.

With the exception of the first period against Team USA Finland played well all tournament, and that poor showing was mainly Kipper's fault for pissing off his own team and then making a huge mistake and then having his team decide not to support him at all in that period to get back at him for it.

But I loved the Slovak game, especially when Finland was down 3-1 starting the 3rd and I was told by a few people that the game was over and I said Finland would come back to win it even though nobody agreed with me and then I went to get a drink and a snack and returned to find it at 4-3 for Finland as I had expected. biggrin.gif

Some people say it's just a lucky guess in those situations but I often am right on with such predictions since I love hockey and I know to watch the bench and look for certain signs. For example if a team is down and you see one of it's leaders on the bench becoming vocal and trying to get the guys going you can be pretty safely assured that they are going to at least pick up the energy level and try to get something going and depending on what team it is you can make a pretty safe prediction on whether or not they will capitalize on that energy.

A team like the Caps or the Devils in the NHL are the kinds of teams that 95% of the time if they pick up the energy levels and start giving more effort in a losing game they will likely get a goal or two because of the offensive talent they have available, and the Fins have some great offensive power as well and seeing them getting amped up on the bench I just knew they would net a few points yet in that game.

Of course they could have flopped and I would have been wrong but they didn't and instead proved me right, and for that I thank them. biggrin.gif

There were a lot of people who wanted Finland to beat USA in the semi's and then after that loss didn't expect Finland to finish in the medals at all, so hats off to the Finnish teams on beating out many tournament favorites for those medals.

EDIT: And some stats from Vancouver -

By the numbers: The Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games

February 12 to 28, 2010

* 17 days of thrilling competition and athletic accomplishments
* 15 sport disciplines
* 9 competition venues
* 3 Olympic training facilities
* 86 medal competitions
* 86 Victory Ceremonies (16 in-venue medal presentations, 25 at BC Place and 45 at Whistler Medals Plaza)
* 615 medals awarded
* 1,055 athlete bouquets presented
* 82 participating National Olympic Committees (NOCs)
* 6,500 athletes and team officials in total
* 2,632 registered athletes
* 50,000 workforce members for the Games, including paid, contractor and volunteers
* Of that total, 18,500 were volunteers; 6,500 volunteers will also work during the Paralympic Winter Games
* 25,000 workforce uniforms distributed
* 96,409 people accredited for the Games
* 10,800 media representatives: 7,000 rights holding broadcasters, 2,800 press reporters and photographers and non-rights holding broadcasters, as well as 1,000 host Olympic Broadcast Service (OBSV) personnel
* 3.5 billion worldwide television viewers are estimated to have tuned into the Games
* Olympic rights holding broadcasters have offered Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games coverage on more than 300 TV stations and on more than 100 websites worldwide
* 47 per cent more global television coverage of the Games than for the Torino 2006 Olympic Winter Games
* This represents approximately 24,000 hours of coverage
* 50,000 hours of total broadcast hours of the Games across all media platforms around the world
* 6,000 hours of coverage worldwide on mobile platforms
* As of Day 15, 33.1 million Canadians (99 per cent) have watched coverage
* 27.7 million cumulative audience or CUME (meaning 82.7 per cent of Canadians) experienced the Games on February 27 through the platforms of Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.
* 1,500 appearances by the Vancouver 2010 mascots: Quatchi, Miga and Sumi by the end of the Games
* 20,567 deliveries made to Olympic venues
* 1.6 million tickets available for the 2010 Winter Games
* More than 3.3 million pairs of Vancouver 2010 Red Mittens sold
* $500-million target for gross retail sales of Vancouver 2010 branded merchandise met by end of Games
* 2.2 million people engaged to date by the Vancouver 2010 Cultural Oympiad, which will continue for three more weeks
* More than 4,000 artists at 600 events, over 60 days in 60 venues are taking part in the Cultural Olympiad
* More than 12,500 volunteer hours clocked for Olympic Closing Ceremony. The thousands of volunteer performers range in age from 10 to 68
* More than 450 racks of costumes, 3,600 metres of elastic, 4,100 pairs of shoes, 18 kilograms of glitter, 10,000 green sequins, 200 giant spheres and balloons, as well as 20 zygote balls were used in the Opening and Closing Ceremonies
* 275 million visitors in total to www.vancouver2010.com, shattering the previous record of 105 million set during the Beijing 2008 Games
* 78 million total unique visitors to the site
* A record of 9,185,306 unique visits in a single day ― set on February 24. The previous record set during the 2008 Summer Games was 8,797,614 on August 11, 2008
* Vancouver2010.com was visited 85 million times this month from within Canada and reached more than 70 per cent of Canadians with Internet access and over 50 per cent of the total Canadian population
* 19.1 per cent of North Americans with Internet access visited the website this month
* 4.6 per cent of people worldwide with Internet access visited the site this month
* 14,000 followers on Twitter.com/2010Tweets
* More than 1.25 million downloads recorded for the official mobile spectator guide, which for 10 days of the Games was the No. 1 free app in Canada
* 1.1 million Facebook fans, nearly four times the total amount for Beijing at the conclusion of the 2008 Games

This post has been edited by Masta: Mar 2 2010, 03:32 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
0bs3n3
post Mar 2 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #54

Leece

Some of those are crazy. Still can't believe the Winter Olympics had more views then Beijing. Then again Beijing was a pretty terrible Olympics.

* 27.7 million cumulative audience or CUME (meaning 82.7 per cent of Canadians) experienced the Games on February 27 through the platforms of Canada’s Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.

Wow, if you get 10% over here it is a success.

This post has been edited by 0bs3n3: Mar 2 2010, 08:11 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny 
post Mar 6 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 38,184

QUOTE (Bain @ Mar 2 2010, 03:23 AM) *

Do try and lose gracefully.

I've never cared for Canada, but now that I know which country is the better one...

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
0bs3n3
post Mar 13 2010, 01:19 AM
Post #56

Leece

Anyone seen this?

This post has been edited by 0bs3n3: Mar 13 2010, 01:19 AM
Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Apr 15 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #57

Capo

Member No.: 42,672

I'm happy for Canada, they were the best nation this time.

Norway came 4th (Vancouver 2010 medal table) which was a big disappointment - to me at least. I generally think of silver medal as failure and it was alot of Norwegian failing. We only got 9 gold medals. mellow.gif It could easily have been 4-5 more golds but margins wasn't on our side.

But it's comforting to behold the all-time medal table for winter olympics. Norway is on top with 107 gold medals. (All-time Olympic Games medal table). Second is USA with 87 gold medals. Now consider that the population in Norway counts only 4.5 millions, whereas USA counts 280.5 millions (2002 figures). smile.gif

The Wall Street Journal thinks we are a mystery lol. The Mystery of Norway. It's a good little article. (It's written on February 24th which was in the middle of the games.)

QUOTE (Masta @ Mar 1 2010, 02:59 PM) *
This entire Olympics the huge rivalry was Canada vs USA, down to the very last event. This was promoted by the media on both sides of the border.

It's a natural rivalry born of two very similar countries sharing long borders and cultures that transcends just sports.

I repeatedly heard and saw Canadians cheering on American athletes in numerous events and I personally left messages of congrats via the Olympic forums for a few of the American athletes(and a 'good game' message for team USA after the gold match for womens hockey), but all I've seen and heard from non-Olympian Americans since the games ended last night is how America did better than Canada cause you got more overall medals.

It was a huge rivalry between Norway and Sweden too in media, and Swedish media in particular. The swedish media was so hostile that Sweden's embassador had a press conference and apologized. It was an embarrassment. I think it's envy because Sweden hasn't done that great in winter sports. I and everyone I know are happy when our neighboring country do well and I don't understand the need to get all rude and hostile about it. They are better than us at summer sports anyway.

This post has been edited by demon: Apr 15 2010, 03:27 AM

--------------------
The new GTA 5 website. GTA 5 forums.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 31 2010, 06:37 AM) *

That's for you ^
Use it in your sig or avatar because you are very special.

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 06:05 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4