Post #1

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
XBL Gamertag: Psyware
PSN Name: Psycopsy
Xfire Identity: Psyware

Google have released a new open source internet browser aimed at improving the new technology available on the web. Most likely it'll track every possible thing you do and spam you with stuff you "like", a bit like google mail? No idea, but I'm just installing it now so we'll see.

http://www.google.com/chrome

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7593106.stm

Update

Just installed it and had a quick look and it seems alright to me. Very simple, but it runs smoothly and has some decent features. Not seen anything to make me stop using firefox though. The add-ons and plugins for firefox still make it the best browser available in my opinion.

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Styl
post Sep 3 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 307

I was wondering how this compares to Firefox. How's it do on memory? Was thinking about trying it out, but it seems more like a casual user's kind of browser, not for someone interested in add-ons and such.
Achievements

+Quote Post
FuddMan
post Sep 3 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #3

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,351

QUOTE(Styl @ Sep 3 2008, 12:49 PM) [snapback]1462609[/snapback]
I was wondering how this compares to Firefox. How's it do on memory? Was thinking about trying it out, but it seems more like a casual user's kind of browser, not for someone interested in add-ons and such.

That's pretty much it I think. Google has always been very no-frills.

I haven't been on my laptop lately so I haven't had a chance to test it for myself. Looking forward to the Mac version though.

--------------------
QUOTE (Psy)
Well, I must be honest, I do occasionally have the odd night off where I stick my fingers in as many pussy's as I can
php stands for psy humping pussy

zomg it's DuffMan's clone.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Psy
post Sep 3 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #4

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

It has some neat features for developers. Javascript debugger, source code viewing and editing etc. Seems to run quite well and not take up too much memory, but I've not used it for anything that would use lots of memory anyway.

Still wouldn't swap firefox for it though.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
EvoZ
post Sep 3 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 41,783

Just downloaded and went through the basic stuff. The browser is quite nice, Nice big space for viewing webpages. The only funny/cool thing about it I've noticed so far is that for every tab it starts up a new process. Funny cause I don't really like too many processes running and cool cause you which page is using how much memory( But you'll probably be guessing on it cause every process starts with the same name<See Pic>} but meh its still in beta they'll probably fix it if its needed to be fixed.

Its a good browser for checking msn links and stuff when you don't have a browser open, won't substitute it for Firefox atleast not atm.

This post has been edited by EvoZ: Sep 3 2008, 03:47 PM

--------------------

Reaching the highest level of fail known to man means only one thing
"You must die or the world will fail due to the extreme level of failure"

"Row Row Fight The Powah"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Psy
post Sep 3 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #6

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

QUOTE(EvoZ @ Sep 3 2008, 04:46 PM) [snapback]1462648[/snapback]
Just downloaded and went through the basic stuff. The browser is quite nice, Nice big space for viewing webpages. The only funny/cool thing about it I've noticed so far is that for every tab it starts up a new process. Funny cause I don't really like too many processes running and cool cause you which page is using how much memory( But you'll probably be guessing on it cause every process starts with the same name<See Pic>} but meh its still in beta they'll probably fix it if its needed to be fixed.

Its a good browser for checking msn links and stuff when you don't have a browser open, won't substitute it for Firefox atleast not atm.

The reason for that is so that if one tab opens up a web page which crashes the browser, it's just that one tab which you can get rid of, instead of losing everything else you had open. In a way it's a good idea because even with 8 tabs open, the amount of memory the process would use would be the same anyway.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
FuddMan
post Sep 3 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #7

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,351

Haha, apparently you can use basic javascript to silently download .exe's in Chrome. I think I'll hold off on testing it on Windows for a while.

--------------------
QUOTE (Psy)
Well, I must be honest, I do occasionally have the odd night off where I stick my fingers in as many pussy's as I can
php stands for psy humping pussy

zomg it's DuffMan's clone.
Achievements

+Quote Post
FrankCastle
post Sep 4 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #8

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 34,440

Chrome has a LOT of potential. This is only its beta form and already I think it's better than IE. It's not quite good enough to replace FF... but i think it just needs some more time.

There are several things I like about Chrome:

1. It uses a lot less memory than FF
With this page loaded on both FF and Chrome, task manager says FF uses ~ 111k and Chrome uses an added total of ~ 62k.
Why do I say added total? Well that brings me to the next thing I like about Chrome...

2. You guys already mentioned it, but the browser treats everything as a separate process... not only the tabs. For example, with this page loaded it has a process for the browser itself, another for the open tab, and another for the shockwave flash plugin needed to run the page. What this basically means is that if one plugin or tab gets messed up for some reason it won't crash the whole browser. Only that one process will be affected. I don't know about you guys but I think that's awesome. Also, if you want a more detailed look at Chrome specific processes, you can right click at the top of the browser and select Task manager. This will show all the process that Chrome is currently using and it gives you more details than Windows task manager. If you need more information than that, try clicking the "Stats for nerds" link at the bottom of the task manager window.

3. The streamlined look is something that I really like. It's very unobtrusive and clean. I would like some customization though.

4. The all in one URL/search field.

5. Holy crap... I just discovered another plus as I was typing this. Chrome has the ability to undo and redo typing like MS word. Niiiiiice.

Unfortunately I also found a bug. The spell check is not working well. Right clicking on a misspelled word does not work. It highlights the wrong word.

The really good thing about Google stepping into the browser game is the added competition. Hopefully this will wake Microsoft up. FF is not a real threat to MS because it's based on a non-profit OS which has never really been a financial threat. Google on the other hand is a huge threat to MS. Either way you look at it... we'll be benefiting from it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
psychÝ
post Sep 4 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 1,279

QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Sep 4 2008, 02:30 AM) [snapback]1462829[/snapback]
5. Holy crap... I just discovered another plus as I was typing this. Chrome has the ability to undo and redo typing like MS word. Niiiiiice.

Unfortunately I also found a bug. The spell check is not working well. Right clicking on a misspelled word does not work. It highlights the wrong word.

Don't all browsers do that?

The really good thing about Google stepping into the browser game is the added competition. Hopefully this will wake Microsoft up. FF is not a real threat to MS because it's based on a non-profit OS which has never really been a financial threat. Google on the other hand is a huge threat to MS. Either way you look at it... we'll be benefiting from it.

It is a massive threat to FF as about 54 million of their 64 million revenue comes from google.

This post has been edited by psychÝ: Sep 4 2008, 01:45 AM

--------------------

Dragonfly
Achievements

+Quote Post
FrankCastle
post Sep 5 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #10

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 3 2008, 09:43 PM) [snapback]1462832[/snapback]
Don't all browsers do that?

Wow... where have I been? IE and FF both have that feature, which I have never used. In FF its a little more obvious but IE hides it, it can only be done with crtl + z.

QUOTE(psychÝ @ Sep 3 2008, 09:43 PM) [snapback]1462832[/snapback]
It is a massive threat to FF as about 54 million of their 64 million revenue comes from google.

Is that true? I didn't know that. I have been slacking, I'm not keeping up with technology news lately.
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Sep 5 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #11

Still Standing
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

It kinda sucks compared to FF imo, but im sure it'll evolve in time. Might end up being pretty good.

This post has been edited by DuPz0rô: Sep 5 2008, 03:05 PM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Mr.Zipper
post Sep 5 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #12

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 42,658

Oh my new googleware for my softwarzors...1!!@111!

--------------------
~HauntedGameSnipe-PSN Name

Angeal Status~Holding on by a string. 37.5%
Once it hits 100% I will be completely against him.

You can call me "Dr.Zipper".
Achievements

+Quote Post
asthenia
post Sep 6 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #13

Psy is gay and stupid.
Group Icon

Member No.: 424
XBL Gamertag: aVarkatzas
PSN Name: Asthenia

Ugh. If this puts FF out of business I'm leaving the internets forever.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Psy
post Sep 8 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #14

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

Google has rescinded an article of the user agreement for its new browser, Chrome, released on Tuesday.

The initial agreement claimed rights over "any Content which you submit, post or display on or through" the browser.

Google reworded the agreement on Wednesday, leaving those rights in the hands of Chrome's users.

A spokesperson for Google said its user agreements were re-used and the initial claim was an oversight.

The initial End User Licence Agreement (EULA) claimed "a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."

Rebecca Ward, senior product counsel for Google Chrome, said the problem arose because Google re-uses swathes of its Universal Terms of Service across all its offerings "in order to keep things simple for our users".

"Sometimes, as in the case of Google Chrome, this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product," she said.

The amended article instead suggests that users "retain copyright and any other rights" that they already hold on the content they submit or display using the browser.

The situation echoes last year's controversy surrounding the EULA for Google Docs, its online word processing and spreadsheet programs. Google initially claimed similarly wide-ranging rights, but eventually reworded the agreement in response to users' concerns.

Haha... What did I say in my first post. Google were always blatently going to use this software as spyware. I'm not going to use it because I really don't want them seeing everything I do on the internet. Luckily I tested it on my work PC...

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
FrankCastle
post Sep 9 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #15

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Psy @ Sep 8 2008, 11:38 AM) [snapback]1463577[/snapback]
Haha... What did I say in my first post. Google were always blatently going to use this software as spyware. I'm not going to use it because I really don't want them seeing everything I do on the internet. Luckily I tested it on my work PC...

I tried it on my home PC and I'm not getting bombarded with crap that I wouldn't normally get anyway.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Lee
post Sep 10 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #16

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 70
PSN Name: Fodder007

I've downloaded it but only so that I can test my own websites work properly with it (and they do). Can't see how it can compete with IE or FF as it is.

--------------------

Platinum - LBP, RE5, Fifa09, Infamous, Batman, Tiger Woods 10, Assassins Creed 2
1000G - Oblivion, Crackdown, Halo 3, COD4, W@W, FableII, Fallout 3, Fifa09

PSN: Fodder007
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 02:39 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4