IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it still possible to create a unique & original game?
Marney1
post Feb 3 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Godfather
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 48,547

Do you think it is still possible to create a unique and original game (video game of course) or has everything been pretty much covered in the gaming world? Do you have any ideas which you'd like to see in the future? Maybe you think they're totally wacky ideas or just unlikely to appeal to the masses. Let's hear it.....
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spoiler
post Feb 3 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Numbers Runner
Group Icon

Member No.: 26,196

There isn't anything left, is there?can't think of anything.
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Feb 3 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #3

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,896
PSN Name: ViceyThaShizzle

It probably is possible to outline an original story, but when you delve deeper into certain plot elements they've all been covered; betrayal, sacrifice, honour, friendship etc. Which is why I think all FPS are the same.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Feb 3 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #4

Get off my Planet

Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

We could make a fucked up game. Something like what they did with Noby Noby Boy
Achievements

+Quote Post
TreeFitty
post Feb 3 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #5

[ShitKickers] Posse
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35,531
PSN Name: therealtreefitty

I think a very disturbing/horrific/world-banned game is the only thing left to make. As said, just about every idea has been done. It's just a matter of picking a group of done ideas and making a "unique" story/plot.

Everytime I look at a new movie I think "The movie industry is running out of ideas." The game world isn't too far off. The fact that the player can make decisions is the only thing keeping games somewhat unique.

--------------------
gta 5

People say I'm crazy for running into burning buildings. I say I'm crazy because I do it for free.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Feb 4 2010, 02:07 AM
Post #6

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

Pre-conceived decisions as far as missions go. It's definitely possible to still make original games. It just will require either skill or luck.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 4 2010, 02:39 AM
Post #7

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

I believe the selection of indie games on Xbox Live Arcade and the PS Store show that there are plenty of unique ideas left, but none of them are coming from major companies.

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Feb 4 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #8

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE (Massacre @ Feb 4 2010, 02:39 AM) *
I believe the selection of indie games on Xbox Live Arcade and the PS Store show that there are plenty of unique ideas left, but none of them are coming from major companies.

But they're more like side mission games you'd expect to see in a proper game.
Achievements

+Quote Post
0bs3n3
post Feb 4 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #9

Leece

Member No.: 24,792

In terms of storyline, then not really. Gameplay, yes.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Psy
post Feb 4 2010, 01:46 PM
Post #10

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
XBL Gamertag: Psyware
PSN Name: Psycopsy
Xfire Identity: Psyware

I'd like to see a wildlife survival sort of game. I love watching Bear Grylls and Survivor man, and it would be awesome if there was just some open world game set in a jungle or whatever where you could collect objects / plants / wood etc and make stuff like boats, fires, hunting spears, traps... bows etc. Dont really get how it would all work, but it would just be you on your own having to survive, and hunting animals etc for food. I guess it would have to be kind of linear because everything you could make would have to be pre-modelled and stuff, but I guess you could have to find all of the objects before you could make it. Kind of like Fallout 3 maybe.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Feb 4 2010, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Pessimistic nihilistic.

QUOTE (Psy @ Feb 4 2010, 01:46 PM) *
...because everything you could make would have to be pre-modelled and stuff...

Well if you've ever played Spore you can design your own vehicles and buildings, it's a bit cartoony though, but it shows that custom content can easily be implemented into a game.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Feb 4 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #12

Godfather
Group Icon

I'd like to see a wildlife survival sort of game. I love watching Bear Grylls and Survivor man, and it would be awesome if there was just some open world game set in a jungle or whatever where you could collect objects / plants / wood etc and make stuff like boats, fires, hunting spears, traps... bows etc. Dont really get how it would all work, but it would just be you on your own having to survive, and hunting animals etc for food. I guess it would have to be kind of linear because everything you could make would have to be pre-modelled and stuff, but I guess you could have to find all of the objects before you could make it. Kind of like Fallout 3 maybe.

Tom Hanks in Cast Away comes to mind.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Feb 4 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #13

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

Wilson!!!!!!!!

smile.gif

That idea is much too involved Psy. It would take a while to get it down just right. A while...

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Feb 18 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #14

Godfather
Group Icon

Bumped for good reason:

Help Design A Playstation Game From Scratch

It's hardly a AAA game but at least it gives gamers the chance to put their ideas forward.
Achievements

+Quote Post
ViceMan
post Feb 18 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #15

Pessimistic nihilistic.

QUOTE (Marney1 @ Feb 18 2011, 09:42 PM) *
Bumped for good reason:

Help Design A Playstation Game From Scratch

It's hardly a AAA game but at least it gives gamers the chance to put their ideas forward.

I... I can't be bothered. *wheezes*

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Feb 19 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #16

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,164

My best idea for a game was, is and will always be about a guy who dies with his girlfriend during a car crash going to prom. Her body is donated to science, and he is never heard from again. He has become a zombie, and he spends the rest of eternity looking for her organs and body parts scattered across the universe. He can travel forward in time, since he's dead, and he can't die, and his ultimate goal is to rebuild his girlfriend so that they can spend the rest of time together.

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Feb 19 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #17

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE (Heartless @ Feb 19 2011, 12:12 AM) *
My best idea for a game was, is and will always be about a guy who dies with his girlfriend during a car crash going to prom. Her body is donated to science, and he is never heard from again. He has become a zombie, and he spends the rest of eternity looking for her organs and body parts scattered across the universe. He can travel forward in time, since he's dead, and he can't die, and his ultimate goal is to rebuild his girlfriend so that they can spend the rest of time together.

What, like a zombie Fallout type of game?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Feb 19 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #18

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,164

QUOTE (Marney1 @ Feb 18 2011, 07:18 PM) *
QUOTE (Heartless @ Feb 19 2011, 12:12 AM) *

What, like a zombie Fallout type of game?

Not at all. It would be open world/sandbox like many, many other games, but the core idea here is to travel through time and space collecting the remains of your dead lover. Some people still have them installed, others in medical depots, and others in weirder places. It would be very low on the violence level, more of a puzzle/mystery/adventure type. It would have a lot of style borrowed from Eraserhead and Dark City (and it's re-imagining the Matrix). You are the only zombie, and I use that term loosely. You're just undead.

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Feb 19 2011, 04:20 AM
Post #19

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

Minecraft?

Also, I was going to say Portal is a unique and original game. But basically no its impossible since every game ever made has the same basic game play mechanic as pong did when it was first created.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Feb 19 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #20

Still Standing
Group Icon

Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

This is something me and my friends talk about all the time. "New and original" ideas come from picking bits from completely different themes and building a connection between them, no matter how rational, it always works. This is good for story idea's, but the concept works for any part of the design process.

People think original game ideas appear out of the blue, but it's all built on old ideas, always.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 12:21 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4