IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> external hard drives..., looking to use this for the PS3...
bOnEs
post Aug 6 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #1

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

OK, i am buying an external hard drive for sure... i got a 250GB one lined up with a price tag of $60... i'm buying that whether my questions get answered or not because, after re-installing windows XP for the 3rd time, i'm getting sick of losing all my data and starting all over, especially with my music and games...

now to the questions...
1.) i've read up on how to format these for the PS3 and i got a good idea on how to do that... but, my question would be that if i format it for the PS3 (changing the file system type to "FAT32"), can i still use it for the PC? i want to backup my save files on the PS3 but, i'd still like to use it on the PC to store music and various other crap...

2.) when formatting -LINK-, it says that it can only transfer 4GB files at a time... one of my fallout 3 save files is at least 8000MB i think... how the hell would that work??

3.) i desperately need space on my PS3, i have no more room at all... is it possible to transfer game data as well as game saves? to clear up as much room as i can is ideal and, if there's a game i don't play often anymore, couldn't i just backup the data on the extHD so, when i want to play again, i can copy back over to the PS3 without going through the lengthy installation screen you get with games like GTAIV and MGS4??

i might have more questions but, this is all for now... i really want to make this work... and it's ideal to do this anyways if i am planning on upgrading my PS3 at some point... the only way to do that is to have an external hard drive to backup everything on... but for the short-term present, i'd like to know the answers to my questions above...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheAnalogKid2112
post Aug 6 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Oh boy! Oberto! Penis! Bundt cake! D-O's Can

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,933
PSN Name: TheAnalogKid2112

My question to you, bOnEs, is how do you make it work with the PS3 in the first place? And if you know how, I need to wait on seeing if it can be used on PS3 and PC as well. Cause I have a 500GB external with only about 100 GB filled up.. I could definitely use some PS3 space to be able to load all my shit on there.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Aug 6 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #3

click on that link above i provided... it's a step-by-step process to formatting your external HD to be recognized by your PS3... i've been researching the last couple of days however, the more research i've done, especially today, the more i've realized that it's cheaper and much easier to just upgrade the internal HD... and that's what i am going to do...

(not sure if you can format it with data already on it but, you might be able to considering you still have about 400GB of space available... i think it just needs 32GB to format...)

for that, you just need to find a 2.5" SATA HDD... and i spotted one on best buy's website... could someone look real quick (PS3 fallout guys) and tell me what the game save file size is? i thought it came out at 8,000MB but, i might be wrong and it's only 8,000KB... i kinda need to know because if it's in the 8,000MB range, i'll need a frikin huge flash drive or i will have to use an external HD... if it's 8,000KB then, my 250MB flash drive would be plenty enough...

i still plan on getting an external hard drive... it's just that over the past couple of hours, the internet has convinced me to just upgrade the internal hard drive... i am gonna hate losing all my game saves but then again, who cares... the only ones i care about are the fallout 3 saves...

and i guess my trophies are re-added to my hard drive once i sync up to my online account... or so i've read... once... i sure hope that was a fact...

EDIT: nevermind... i am heading home in like 15 minutes... i'll look at the fallout 3 file size when i get there... i guess i'll hold off on buying this shit for a few days...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Aug 6 2009, 10:20 PM

--------------------

Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
TheAnalogKid2112
post Aug 6 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Yeah, trophies are linked to your PSN account, not your hard drive. I'm going to spend my next paycheck on an internal upgrade too.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Aug 6 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #5

you running out of space too? whats your current HD size??

i have no space left available... well, there's some left but, not enough to save a game or even download a demo... i am at a critical point right now... and with fallout 3's DLC coming to the PS3 in september, i gotta be ready by then biggrin.gif... i have to pass on the new batman game, which looks f'n great because, i don't have enough room... i mean, i could delete some of my shit but, what's the point, i've already gone through getting rid of the stuff i don't need just to install metal gear solid... and now i got nothing left to remove or add...

maybe i'll be upgraded by the time batman comes out but then again, maybe i won't be...

EDIT: easy as pie... i just checked my fallout 3 saved game files and they are of the KB fashion... so hell yea, i'll be able to at least backup my game saves... the new question i have now is will i lose my little big planet levels?? if that's saved on the game data file, i'll lose my levels because that's 660MB and i don't have a flash drive that big... if it's saved on the game save it's only like 200KB or something... anyone know?? i'm guessing it's on the data file... dayum...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Aug 6 2009, 11:10 PM

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
TheAnalogKid2112
post Aug 6 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #6

Well I DID have about 2000 MB left a couple months ago, but then I deleted all 15 GB of my Rock Band DLC since I don't play it anymore. Then I cleared a bunch of other shit up, leaving me with like 27 gigs. I think I'm good, but I still want the extra space just to have it..

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Aug 7 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #7

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 14

1.) i've read up on how to format these for the PS3 and i got a good idea on how to do that... but, my question would be that if i format it for the PS3 (changing the file system type to "FAT32"), can i still use it for the PC? i want to backup my save files on the PS3 but, i'd still like to use it on the PC to store music and various other crap...

You'd have to create 2 partitions, one formatted in NTFS and the other one formatted in FAT

2.) when formatting -LINK-, it says that it can only transfer 4GB files at a time... one of my fallout 3 save files is at least 8000MB i think... how the hell would that work??

It wouldn't, if the game save is actually 8000mb.

3.) i desperately need space on my PS3, i have no more room at all... is it possible to transfer game data as well as game saves? to clear up as much room as i can is ideal and, if there's a game i don't play often anymore, couldn't i just backup the data on the extHD so, when i want to play again, i can copy back over to the PS3 without going through the lengthy installation screen you get with games like GTAIV and MGS4??

No idea, but probably not, there are whole forums dedicated to hacking the PS3, i'd go there. Also, you can delete DLC and then redownload it free of charge.

I'm pretty sure the ability to have a external hard drive on the PS3 is mainly for media and not for data.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Aug 7 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(LMOZ91 @ Aug 7 2009, 08:13 AM) [snapback]1517115[/snapback]
I'm pretty sure the ability to have a external hard drive on the PS3 is mainly for media and not for data.

yea, that's the conclusion i came to yesterday as well... which mean's i will probably do that sometime down the road... i'd love to have my entire music library at easy access like that, and have a link between my PC and my MAC without using a wimpy little USB flash drive with 256MB of room... and only partitioning 32GB towards the "FAT32" data would leave me with 218GB left to store a bunch of junk... my music library right now here at work is 13GB (and that's most of my music too), which isn't very big compared to how much space i'd have available...

so, i guess i'm buying THIS then... maybe this weekend or not but, very soon indeed..

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Aug 7 2009, 02:44 PM

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
TheAnalogKid2112
post Aug 7 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(bOnEs @ Aug 7 2009, 07:42 AM) [snapback]1517140[/snapback]
so, i guess i'm buying THIS then... maybe this weekend or not but, very soon indeed..

Shit, bOnEs, sorry I didn't send you this link before: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...id=32840#M32840
It has pretty much every detail needed to replace it, AND the best hard drives to use, along with prices and spaces. Only use that guide. Don't trust Amazon or nothing, cause it might not have the right ones.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Aug 7 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Aug 7 2009, 12:24 PM) [snapback]1517146[/snapback]
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Aug 7 2009, 07:42 AM) [snapback]1517140[/snapback]

Shit, bOnEs, sorry I didn't send you this link before: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...id=32840#M32840
It has pretty much every detail needed to replace it, AND the best hard drives to use, along with prices and spaces. Only use that guide. Don't trust Amazon or nothing, cause it might not have the right ones.

i choose the one form best buy because if you read the reviews, just about every single one of them stated they bought this to upgrade their PS3 and they all said it worked perfectly with no lingering problems...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Aug 9 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #11

updating was a breeze today... i backed up all my save files on my wimpy 256MB USB drive and to my surprise, they all fit, with tons of room to spare... the only real problem i had throughout the whole process was getting those four little screws loosened up surrounding the existing hard drive... i stripped all of them, lol... but, after enough persistence, and using the ground for more pressure, i was able to free em from their base... i tried the needle nosed pliers approach but that was a joke, didn't even come close to working... but after that, it was a simple switch and viola, 250GB of freedom!!

i am pretty surprised at how easy it was to do... for anyone considering a bigger hard drive, you should do it... just be very careful with those 4 screws... now i have a 40GB drive just sitting here, collecting dust (not literally)... but, the great thing is i can go out and buy a casing for it and turn it into an external hard drive!! yay!! got more memory and an external hard drive... this was the best approach to my problem...

however, i don't think a 40GB drive is big enough to be used for both the PC and PS3 since converting a portion of the memory to the "FAT32" file type you need for the PS3 eats up almost all of the available memory... but who cares, i got enough memory on the PS3 now to keep my entire library of music on the hard drive anyways...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Aug 9 2009, 01:41 AM

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 11:50 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4