Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Immigrants
0bs3n3
post Oct 18 2009, 03:10 AM
Post #1

Leece

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,792

Don't you find it kinda weird when people tell you that you're (well, assuming you're like me tongue.gif) 'intolerant' and 'fracist' because I don't like immigrants trying to impose their culture over mine (read: Muslims and Sharia Law)? Isn't that kind of hypocritical though; their not tolerating *our* culture and trying to impose theirs over the top of it? Isn't that intolerance? Discuss.

This post has been edited by 0bs3n3: Oct 18 2009, 03:12 AM
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tranque
post Oct 18 2009, 03:20 AM
Post #2

Trickster

Member No.: 42,061

I would respond but you're not being specific. I have no idea what you consider to be imposing.

Some people think that having legal documents translated into spanish is imposing.

Personally I live in NYC and never has a mexican approached me, held a gun to my head, and taught me "De Colores"

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
TreeFitty
post Oct 18 2009, 03:41 AM
Post #3

[ShitKickers] Posse
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35,531
PSN Name: therealtreefitty

Depends how much they are being intolerant or "pushing" their culture on you. In America we have "whatever culture appreciation day" type things but that's about the most force there is overall.

I'm sure it's different for Aussie's than American's since different cultures is a regular thing here.

--------------------
gta 5

People say I'm crazy for running into burning buildings. I say I'm crazy because I do it for free.
Achievements

+Quote Post
0bs3n3
post Oct 18 2009, 03:48 AM
Post #4

Leece

Member No.: 24,792

Well I'll give you an example then:

Muslim leader blames women for sex attacks - It's our culture that we dress like we do, who's being intolerant here?

This isn't Australia but it's well known Muslims want Sharia Law in Britain.

Sharlia Law and Australia

Then there is plenty of Lebanese youths posting videos on YouTube with pictures of the continent with a superimposed Lebanese flag over the top and the words "Under new management". Yet I'm the intolerant one for speaking out against it?

This post has been edited by 0bs3n3: Oct 18 2009, 03:50 AM
Achievements

+Quote Post
OptimumPx
post Oct 18 2009, 04:03 AM
Post #5

Basket Case
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,168

QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Oct 17 2009, 11:48 PM) *
Then there is plenty of Lebanese youths posting videos on YouTube with pictures of the continent with a superimposed Lebanese flag over the top and the words "Under new management". Yet I'm the intolerant one for speaking out against it?

Clearly you are! smile.gif

But seriously, what I can't stand are two groups: those who seem to refuse to learn even basic English (beyond the phrase 'I no speak English'), and those who seem to think that they don't HAVE to wait in line.

The first applies to all immigrant groups really. You ask them if you can help them and all they do is stare at you blankly then point. Awesome!

The second mostly seems to apply to Asians really...they will take their things and cut an entire line, placing their items in front of the person first in line. Makes me want to stab them in the eyeballs.

--------------------
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
Achievements

+Quote Post
TreeFitty
post Oct 18 2009, 04:43 AM
Post #6

[ShitKickers] Posse
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35,531
PSN Name: therealtreefitty

QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Oct 17 2009, 11:48 PM) *

Okay, this is a Muslim leader trying to help a fellow Muslim [man] who fucked up and using their culture as a way to say "it's not his fault". So yes he is trying to push his culture but the reason is to shift the blame from the raper to the women. Parts of the article have people agreeing the leader is retarded. Then they go back to him later saying he didn't mean it that way, that's not what he said, the raper is guilty, blah blah blah. They also mentioned the leader hasn't been getting on his people's good side lately.

This is more of a culture push than the previous, where as they want similar styles of governing and laws to be implemented. Nothing really wrong with looking at new ways to accomplish things. They ran into some sex-eqaulity issues and probably some other things that didn't sit well.

it's kids. just make an australian flag over their country. tongue.gif

--------------------
gta 5

People say I'm crazy for running into burning buildings. I say I'm crazy because I do it for free.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny†
post Oct 18 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 38,184

You need to be more specific; you can make yourself sound like the victim when you use hyperbole, anyone can. What are you actually complaining about, immigration in general, or just assholes like those lebs? Immigration in general is obviously a positive thing, there aren't a fixed amount of jobs in a country... and I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with you about the sharlia law craving lebs.

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Oct 18 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #8

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 15

I've never felt this whole "foreigner in my own country" bit conservatives roll out every so often. Easily 80% of my friends in high school were less than three generations off the boat, and I attend the most diverse university in the country in terms of integration of 1st generation immigrants. So, strange as it might be, I don't think of "those people" as distinct from myself.

Sure, there's my first year flatmate Michał, a Polish neocon who burned a swastika into his bedroom wall. There's the Malaysian medics society, who sit at the front and seem to know literally no english that doesn't pertain to anatomy and pharmacology. And there's my Pakistani landlord Mr Gaffur, who couldn't call someone to fix our radiator for all of Ramadan (for reasons I still don't fully understand).

People I know have been raised by different cultures, and sometimes it's a bit inconvenient, accommodating them when they're not willing to make an effort to reciprocate. But at the same time, there are white, anglo-saxon protestants who are unreasonable dicks too -- and worse, with their sense of entitlement to a peice of arbitrary land that they've done nothing for. I wouldn't trade my friends - whose parents no doubt once struggled with the language - for a country full of those ignorant assfucks. Diversity, fuck yeah.

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny†
post Oct 18 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #9

^ you should post that graph about BNP guys not knowing any minorities v.gif

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
anomalous_result
post Oct 18 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #10

Litterer

Member No.: 26,242

QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Oct 18 2009, 04:48 AM) *
Well I'll give you an example then:

Muslim leader blames women for sex attacks - It's our culture that we dress like we do, who's being intolerant here?

This isn't Australia but it's well known Muslims want Sharia Law in Britain.

You're conflating an immigrant with religion. It's the purpose of religions to evangelise hence you get Catholics ramming the fact that barrier contraception/abortion/pre-marital sex is immoral down your throat, but we don't chastise them because... they're born here? Also Jews have their own regulations in Britain in the form of Beth Din, surely we should allow Muslims the same freedom?

edit: Basically stop the douchebag tribalism, one world ffs. You get twats everywhere, you also get alright people everywhere, just because there are some douchebag immigrants doesn't mean they all are, much like the native population.

This post has been edited by anomalous_result: Oct 18 2009, 06:22 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Oct 18 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #11

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

The problem with immergration is the fact that they dont live by our law and take benefits. The Gurkhas are the only people who dont live on our country but choose to come here who should be allowed to take benefits.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Oct 18 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #12

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Oct 18 2009, 09:53 PM) *
The problem with immergration is the fact that they dont live by our law and take benefits. The Gurkhas are the only people who dont live on our country but choose to come here who should be allowed to take benefits.
That's a bit of a scary set of words.

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Oct 19 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #13

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

I've never seen or heard of an immigrant taking my job or getting benefits by sitting on their asses. The first case I came to the conclusion from not hearing anything, the second from my personal experience with many friends who have immigrant labor parents.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny†
post Oct 19 2009, 06:25 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Oct 19 2009, 07:53 AM) *

What the fuck? No, they don't.

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
Darth Sexy
post Oct 19 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #15

The Thunder Down Under
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,214

Immigration requires tolerance on both sides. The immigrant does need to embrace their new culture, if they want to fully be accepted into their new society, but I think it's also important that they keep ties to their native culture. If someone has a problem with immigration, they'd better stop going to Chinese, Indian etc. restaurants, though.

--------------------

QUOTE(Lmoz96 @ Jul 27 2009, 08:31 PM) [snapback]1514882[/snapback]
Marney1... you know that I can literatly kill you
Achievements

+Quote Post
Leon Kennedy
post Oct 19 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #16

Nobody Special

Member No.: 51,267

QUOTE (Darth_Sexy @ Oct 19 2009, 01:45 AM) *
Immigration requires tolerance on both sides. The immigrant does need to embrace their new culture, if they want to fully be accepted into their new society, but I think it's also important that they keep ties to their native culture. If someone has a problem with immigration, they'd better stop going to Chinese, Indian etc. restaurants, though.

I don't have a problem with people coming over here from other countries and wanting to keep ties to their own culture. Bring all of the culture you want with you - I happen to like chinese food and egyptian art and that stuff. What I have a problem with is them bringing it with them and forcing us (read: the US) to have to push our own culture off to the side so theirs can be out in front and pushed on everyone who was already here before them. Examples? How about making every official document have to be written not only in English but in Spanish as well. And let's not forget that we can't force them to bend to our culture. Nope - we can't push ours on them, but they can push theirs on us. Love the double standard.

--------------------
QUOTE (Massacre @ Oct 26 2009, 01:47 PM) *
Finally, I can do this:

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny†
post Oct 20 2009, 02:24 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (Marilyn.Manson @ Oct 20 2009, 02:20 AM) *
How about making every official document have to be written not only in English but in Spanish as well.
I wasn't aware that the US had an official language...

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Oct 20 2009, 02:54 AM
Post #18

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

QUOTE (‹berPimpGendoIkari @ Oct 19 2009, 10:24 PM) *
QUOTE (Marilyn.Manson @ Oct 20 2009, 02:20 AM) *
How about making every official document have to be written not only in English but in Spanish as well.
I wasn't aware that the US had an official language...

Thankyou.

If it wasn't for having the driving license test in Italian, my grandfather would have never passed. He used to argue only to take it in English. He failed continuously until he took it in Italian. It's really there for the benefit of certain people, whether they be immigrants or not.

This post has been edited by punxtr: Oct 20 2009, 07:45 PM

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
LoonaTyk1
post Oct 20 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #19

Do Boy

Member No.: 52,364

as long as i can keep living the way i like to , i don't care how many immigrants come over here . i just want them to want the same thing . to live their life the way they see fit without being persecuted for it . their culture does nothing but add to the American culture.

--------------------
LoonaTyk1
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Oct 20 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #20

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

Unless you can pass a basic english language test you shouldn't be allowed into the UK.
I would accept it as reasonable if somewhere like Germany (for example) told people not to bother visiting unless you could speak basic german. I think this is the least any foreigner to a country could do to at least show some respect.
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 01:39 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4