ViceMan
post Jan 21 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #41

Pessimistic nihilistic.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,896
PSN Name: ViceyThaShizzle

'Which book did you recently finish?'

Currently reading one called Green Mars, it's fairly decent but I haven't got into the bulk of it yet. One of the best books i've read was called Century Rain, it's part sci-fi, part film-noir. That was a good few years ago though. I like books with two or more parallel stories occuring at once that eventually converge on a single point... And sci-fi.

Greg Bear - Eon (never finished reading this for some reason, although I was only about 10 when I read it, and if you read it yourself you'll probably understand why.)

--------------------

Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Jan 22 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #42

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

In my work, I've been sorting out our Library. Found a few books from around 1810, and loads pre-world war 2

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Jan 22 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #43

Godfather
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 48,547

QUOTE (Pieface @ Jan 22 2010, 12:55 PM) *
In my work, I've been sorting out our Library. Found a few books from around 1810, and loads pre-world war 2

I've got a book from the 50's (Householder's Guide To Plumbing) which is an interesting read - for me anyway - because it shows some old working practices and techniques plus the old specs of systems. I've worked in really old houses and some have even still had gas lamps on the walls and one was still using a hot water cylinder from 1937 which was still working perfectly.
Anyway because it's from the 50's it's not politicaly correct and it raves on about how copper will soon be favoured over lead for pipework and also about the introduction of acrylic baths. It says that these new plastic baths don't like cigarettes so if you're smoking in the bath be careful not to let it come into contact with the lit ciggie.
It goes on to say that the housewife should find it easy to clean because of it's smooth surface.
Achievements

+Quote Post
ThomasH
post Jan 26 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #44

Vandal

Member No.: 39,727

Just purchased the book: "The Power of now" can't wait to read it. smile.gif

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Jan 30 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #45

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 22 2010, 05:13 PM) *
QUOTE (Pieface @ Jan 22 2010, 12:55 PM) *

I've got a book from the 50's (Householder's Guide To Plumbing) which is an interesting read - for me anyway - because it shows some old working practices and techniques plus the old specs of systems. I've worked in really old houses and some have even still had gas lamps on the walls and one was still using a hot water cylinder from 1937 which was still working perfectly.
Anyway because it's from the 50's it's not politicaly correct and it raves on about how copper will soon be favoured over lead for pipework and also about the introduction of acrylic baths. It says that these new plastic baths don't like cigarettes so if you're smoking in the bath be careful not to let it come into contact with the lit ciggie.
It goes on to say that the housewife should find it easy to clean because of it's smooth surface.

I found a book in 1920 about Modern History. I lol'd.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Jan 30 2010, 01:21 AM
Post #46

Godfather
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 48,547

My dad is a joiner and he's just found a carpentry book from (around) 1845. I'll be really sad and post a pic sometime.

@Pieface, that's around the time real history was last written with truth and accuracy instead of doctored.

This post has been edited by Marney1: Jan 30 2010, 01:23 AM
Achievements

+Quote Post
0bs3n3
post Jan 30 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #47

Leece

Member No.: 24,792

School's been making me read lately.

- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Rommel: The End of a Legend by Ralf Georg Reuth

and I'm in the middle of reading A History of Warfare by John Keegan out of general interest. Really like it, might pick up some more of his books sometime.
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 12:11 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4