> My acer laptop
trathen93
post Oct 9 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #1

LFC

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,835
PSN Name: trathen

I got an acer aspire 5535 last year in december and was quite happy at first. but at the end of march the fan started to become very loud and wasnt able to keep the laptop cool so the pc began to turn itself off. no worries though, took it back to comet and it was repaired by acer.sorted. but another problem has arose. the touchpad and mouse buttons have gone crazy and its extremely annoying.(i have to use a usb mouse now)
now all im wondering is, has anyone else got an acer and had similar problems. has anyone got suggestions on what i should do.

--------------------

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Oct 10 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

My mum has an acer, and on the trackpad the left button doesn't work, so you have to use the trackpad and tap it.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Oct 10 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #3

Godfather
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 48,547

I don't have an Acer (I have a HP Compaq 6720s) and now and again the scroll part on the finger pad refuses to work at all.
It usually happens when I've had a few windows open and then remove them.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Oct 13 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #4

LFC

bit of an update, the laptops gone back to acer. but only after a few hours on the phone. basically, I took the laptop back to comet where it was booked in for acer to pick up, but I then got a phone call from the store saying that acer refused to collect it cos it was registered in the name of the comet store and had my name on the receipt. i ended up talking to a useless irishman for 30 mins and was then put onto a dull indian and her supervisor for another 45 mins.
It was only then that they realised it was their fuckup and decided to pick the laptop up.

not the end though. the comet store then said that the hard drive had to be wiped and they needed the charge cable after they had originally said they didnt.

positives: i didnt use my phone to ring the customer services and i got an apology from acer.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Oct 14 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #5

Get off my Planet

Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

My sister has had her Acer for about a year and a half, and it's broken down twice already.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Oct 15 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #6

LFC

QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Oct 14 2009, 01:13 AM) *
My sister has had her Acer for about a year and a half, and it's broken down twice already.

your sister is lucky, ive not had this for a year and its the second problem. ive never had an acer before and at this rate it might be my last. any other pc or tv or anythin has never broken, ive always looked after my electrical goods and they've been fine til now

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
JustGetAnApp
post Nov 16 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #7

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 37,758

i am going to get one ,according to what you have said ,i am confused.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Dec 12 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #8

LFC

sorry to revisit this topic but any help would be fantastic. since the last time i posted the laptop has been back again (in November) and the touch pad was fixed. at least i thought it was. ive had to take it back today because of the touchpad AGAIN. basically I wanted the laptop replaced but comet said that they would be stuck with a dud laptop and the best they could do was return it to acer again. i didnt know my rights on this so i let them send it back and my dad is going to try and get through to the consumer rights on Monday (i cant ague for shit). problem is the warranty runs out on Monday. i know that they will become stubborn and say its not their problem anymore cos its out of the 12 month warranty.
does anyone know their consumer rights better than i do. help me please.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Dec 16 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #9

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

QUOTE (El-Nino @ Dec 12 2009, 04:09 PM) *
sorry to revisit this topic but any help would be fantastic. since the last time i posted the laptop has been back again (in November) and the touch pad was fixed. at least i thought it was. ive had to take it back today because of the touchpad AGAIN. basically I wanted the laptop replaced but comet said that they would be stuck with a dud laptop and the best they could do was return it to acer again. i didnt know my rights on this so i let them send it back and my dad is going to try and get through to the consumer rights on Monday (i cant ague for shit). problem is the warranty runs out on Monday. i know that they will become stubborn and say its not their problem anymore cos its out of the 12 month warranty.
does anyone know their consumer rights better than i do. help me please.

Did the first problem occur inside the warranty?

This post has been edited by Captain.Charisma: Dec 16 2009, 02:01 PM

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Dec 16 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #10

LFC

yeah, every problem its had have been while its under warranty. I feel that acer wont repair it properly again, so im not having back if they do the same thing as every time before.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Ophis-
post Jan 14 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #11

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Validating
Member No.: 5,815
PSN Name: ophis-

I've had the same Acer Aspire laptop for 3 years, and it was also a display one from the shelf so it was on a lot before I bought it, never had one single hardware issue (touch wood) but i do format it once every 6 or so months as it can get slow once cluttered.

Top Tip, this might sound like common sense to a lot of people, but NEVER put your laptop on cushions, sofas, thick carpet, BEDS (especially thick bed covers) as all the heat tries to escape from underneath and doing the above is effectively giving it a woolly jumper!

It will also be the cause your fans start to sound louder as they have been put under strain trying to keep the laptop cool.

This post has been edited by Liquidice: Jan 14 2010, 05:31 PM

--------------------
[meh]
Achievements

+Quote Post
Spoiler
post Jan 15 2010, 02:23 AM
Post #12

Numbers Runner
Group Icon

Member No.: 26,196

u can use a laptop cooling/mounting pad when u r using at home.it has extra fans and some even come with extra usb slots and other pin plugs for usage.

i have an acer laptop an older model.no hardware problem so far,shd be abt 5 yrs now.but need to reformat few times to clear e hard disk.since they say they need to wipe ur hard disk,it might be driver issue.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Jan 15 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #13

LFC

sorry i never updated but its been ok since the repair. so far so good smile.gif they replaced nearly everything that could have been the problem, simply because they dont want any more problems. finally acer have made me happy

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Jan 15 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #14

Get off my Planet

Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

My sister's fucked out on her again so she said fuck it and bought a Sony.
Achievements

+Quote Post
b1b23
post Jan 21 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #15

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 29,584

Acers are notoriously unreliable. I have an Acer laptop as well, but don't get me started with all the problems I have had with it.

Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Apr 7 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #16

LFC

hate to revisit this but any help would be great. the laptop left button has gone again and i now sit on the brick of a pc at me parents with me dad stood behind me saying the older pcs are more reliable. grrr. anyway, the warranty ran out in December but with this being the 4th time the button has gone with the 5th overall fault, the consumer advice think ive got a great case for a refund/replacement. anybody know more on this subject, the sale of goods act and everything has been mentioned by the person at the consumer advice so im looking at all of that now.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Sharpie Fetish
post Apr 8 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #17

Litterer
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,595

QUOTE (El-Nino @ Apr 7 2010, 09:34 PM) *
hate to revisit this but any help would be great. the laptop left button has gone again and i now sit on the brick of a pc at me parents with me dad stood behind me saying the older pcs are more reliable. grrr. anyway, the warranty ran out in December but with this being the 4th time the button has gone with the 5th overall fault, the consumer advice think ive got a great case for a refund/replacement. anybody know more on this subject, the sale of goods act and everything has been mentioned by the person at the consumer advice so im looking at all of that now.

Try to get a refund. Don't replacement it'll only crap out again. Then go buy any other make but acer.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Apr 8 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #18

LFC

QUOTE (Cyantist @ Apr 8 2010, 04:54 PM) *
Try to get a refund. Don't replacement it'll only crap out again. Then go buy any other make but acer.

thats what im aiming at, just trying to find a way to get the money out of comet. the manager last night was completely useless and said that they're not built to last!?!? i was like seriously, the thing has fucked up on me 5 times in 12 months( once the fan and 4 times the button) . he wouldnt budge and said that the only thing they can do is get us to pay a 45 inspection fee that would be refunded if they can repair it. haha as if. theres a few routes to go down so im going to go to the store again later with a copy of the sale of goods act and the advice I got from the consumer advice and trading standards. looks like a job for the small claims court, if they say the same.

EDIT : funny thing is, the brick of a desktop pc that is in my parents is an acer, its 7 years old too and no problems

This post has been edited by El-Nino: Apr 8 2010, 04:23 PM

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Sharpie Fetish
post Apr 10 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #19

Litterer
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,595

QUOTE (El-Nino @ Apr 8 2010, 05:20 PM) *
QUOTE (Cyantist @ Apr 8 2010, 04:54 PM) *

thats what im aiming at, just trying to find a way to get the money out of comet. the manager last night was completely useless and said that they're not built to last!?!? i was like seriously, the thing has fucked up on me 5 times in 12 months( once the fan and 4 times the button) . he wouldnt budge and said that the only thing they can do is get us to pay a 45 inspection fee that would be refunded if they can repair it. haha as if. theres a few routes to go down so im going to go to the store again later with a copy of the sale of goods act and the advice I got from the consumer advice and trading standards. looks like a job for the small claims court, if they say the same.

EDIT : funny thing is, the brick of a desktop pc that is in my parents is an acer, its 7 years old too and no problems

Take it to small claims court. Acers not being built to last doesn't matter. If there promised to work there promised to work. If it was promised it would crap out 6months into ownership fair enough they'd have a point but no where does acer say such a thing.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Apr 12 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #20

LFC

QUOTE (Cyantist @ Apr 10 2010, 09:45 PM) *
Take it to small claims court. Acers not being built to last doesn't matter. If there promised to work there promised to work. If it was promised it would crap out 6months into ownership fair enough they'd have a point but no where does acer say such a thing.

Halton council Trading standards have taken it on and have said theres no point in me personally going to comet over and over again. the guy on the phone said they're going to contact comet for me and says they know the ins and outs of many laws. they also said they could threaten to revoke their trading licence ( i know its more of an empty threat but they can do it, large council department and that) so its just a waiting game now, sorry I didnt reply sooner, the laptop is in my parents and im stuck on me mates desktop

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 07:06 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4