> 2.5 Billion Xbox Achievements, Achievement Unlocked
PabloHoneyOle
post Apr 6 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

So far Xbox Live players have unlocked 2.5 billion achievements and racked up a collective Gamerscore of 52 billion points, reports Greenberg. That's almost 150 achievements per Xbox Live member.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3976...ing_.php?page=1

Why do you think about achievements/trophies? Are they just a bonus to playing the game or are they something you actively seek out? How have they changed gaming for you?
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ex-PS Fanboy
post Apr 6 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #2

Get off my Planet

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,730
XBL Gamertag: CFO Charles
PSN Name: PS-FANBOY1

Well, If I'm into the game enough, I'll seek them out. If I find the game boring then I don't do them.
Achievements

+Quote Post
TwoFacedTanner
post Apr 6 2009, 03:27 PM
Post #3

Clepto

Member No.: 908
XBL Gamertag: IanCredible988

Well to be honest, I like unlocking them, when I go back and play originals, I wish they had achievements on them, it just adds something to do on the game.

Granted, if the damn things are too annoying to get I don't even bother.

For instance, Mass Effect, you had to use every power you had like 75 times. Each one an achievement.
You had to complete the majority of the game with a certain party members, which would take 3 run throughs. And when they say the majority, they don't mean the story, they mean like getting 90% completion, side missions all that. On top of that, you'd have to beat the game twice to get two separate achievements, and once on the hardest difficulty to get another one.
That game is WAAAAY too fucking long and slow paced to do that. I told it to go fuck itself.

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Apr 6 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #4

Boss
Group Icon

I think they add another dimension to the game. You're not just trying to beat the game, you're trying to experience the game to the max. Very often, it leads you to do things you probably wouldn't do or might miss in a normal game play through. It also extends the game's life at my house. I've kept games around that I normally would have sold or traded in just to get a couple of achievements.

I agree that a lot of achievements are ridiculous; especially some of the MP ones that would require 50+ hours of playtime or like Tanner said, multiple playthroughs of the single player game.

I'm not sure what it is that drives me to get achievements. I'm not an achievement whore; I'll never play games like Surf's Up, Cars, Avatar, King Kong, etc. just to get the achievements. But I guess it's all vanity related. I'm always comparing my games and achievements vs. my friends.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Indy
post Apr 6 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Vandal

Member No.: 23,844

I wouldn't buy a game for the achievements, but rather continue playing if the achievements are fun to get. Like GTA's flying under all the bridges, just stuff that adds to the game that you wouldn't normally do.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Full Metal Monke...
post Apr 6 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #6

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 39,213

QUOTE(IndĽ @ Apr 6 2009, 05:24 PM) [snapback]1494083[/snapback]
I wouldn't buy a game for the achievements, but rather continue playing if the achievements are fun to get. Like GTA's flying under all the bridges, just stuff that adds to the game that you wouldn't normally do.

Yeah i totally agree.

Some of the achievements are rediculously tough to get like the Gears of War/2 Seriously achievement where you need to get 10,000 kills or something stupid. Which in Gears 2 isn't too hard as there is that part towards the end but still.

Whereas ones like Indy suggested actually add to the game, also the one where you have to do 5 rolls with your car in GTA IV, that shit took me forever but was fun whilst trying to do it. Id never purchase a game just for its achievements, if a friend owned the game and said to me that the achievements were really easy to get then i might borrow it for a while to get them.

Ive looked at the person's account on Xbox Live who has the most amount of achievements, he has around 216,000 achievements but has played all of the shitty games and brought most of the Arcade games too. It just makes me think the person is sad and probably doesn't get out much. Its an achievement to have that many but then how many hours has he had to put into it to get it that high?

--------------------
Stunt Double for Nick Frost
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Apr 6 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #7

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

QUOTE(Full Metal Monkey @ Apr 6 2009, 10:28 PM) [snapback]1494182[/snapback]
QUOTE(IndĽ @ Apr 6 2009, 05:24 PM) [snapback]1494083[/snapback]

Yeah i totally agree.

Some of the achievements are rediculously tough to get like the Gears of War/2 Seriously achievement where you need to get 10,000 kills or something stupid. Which in Gears 2 isn't too hard as there is that part towards the end but still.

Whereas ones like Indy suggested actually add to the game, also the one where you have to do 5 rolls with your car in GTA IV, that shit took me forever but was fun whilst trying to do it. Id never purchase a game just for its achievements, if a friend owned the game and said to me that the achievements were really easy to get then i might borrow it for a while to get them.

Ive looked at the person's account on Xbox Live who has the most amount of achievements, he has around 216,000 achievements but has played all of the shitty games and brought most of the Arcade games too. It just makes me think the person is sad and probably doesn't get out much. Its an achievement to have that many but then how many hours has he had to put into it to get it that high?

Stallion93 or something like that? Trust me he does go out, spoken to him a few times and seen a few pictures off him with a pretty fit blonde girl.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skinny 
post Apr 7 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 38,184

I sometimes do the fun ones, but I almost never look at my game score. Why should I care how good I am at it? It's a form of entertainment - I don't read books or listen to music to be "good" at it.

--------------------
=D
Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Apr 7 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #9

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 6 2009, 04:42 PM) [snapback]1494041[/snapback]
I think they add another dimension to the game. You're not just trying to beat the game, you're trying to experience the game to the max. Very often, it leads you to do things you probably wouldn't do or might miss in a normal game play through. It also extends the game's life at my house. I've kept games around that I normally would have sold or traded in just to get a couple of achievements.

I agree that a lot of achievements are ridiculous; especially some of the MP ones that would require 50+ hours of playtime or like Tanner said, multiple playthroughs of the single player game.

I'm not sure what it is that drives me to get achievements. I'm not an achievement whore; I'll never play games like Surf's Up, Cars, Avatar, King Kong, etc. just to get the achievements. But I guess it's all vanity related. I'm always comparing my games and achievements vs. my friends.
YEAH, MAX THE ENVELOPE.

I disagree. I think it discourages actual imagination and adventure, especially in this generation, where free-roaming is common.

Skinny: That's hardly the point. I don't cut my toenails to be good at it, I don't try and wear the fuck out of my shirt...

...But that's because neither activity is competitive. Gaming is, it's a challenge to be completed, from whence the fun arises. Comparing it to books is disingenuous.

That said, I don't care about Gamerscore. A friend tried to brag about it the other day, but I pointed out that he spent money on easy games that I spend on football tickets, time I spent studying, he spent looking up how to get obscure achievements, time I spent at bars or restaurants he spent joylessly grinding through boring achievements...and times I spent enjoying my games, he spent on an unlimited lives deathmatch that lasted 10 hours, and he regularly just left on.

gamerscore is gay, vote normal gaming 09

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Apr 7 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #10

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 7 2009, 09:42 AM) [snapback]1494328[/snapback]
YEAH, MAX THE ENVELOPE.

I disagree. I think it discourages actual imagination and adventure, especially in this generation, where free-roaming is common.

That said, I don't care about Gamerscore. A friend tried to brag about it the other day, but I pointed out that he spent money on easy games that I spend on football tickets, time I spent studying, he spent looking up how to get obscure achievements, time I spent at bars or restaurants he spent joylessly grinding through boring achievements...and times I spent enjoying my games, he spent on an unlimited lives deathmatch that lasted 10 hours, and he regularly just left on.

How do achievements discourage actual imagination? You're playing a videogame; a simulated experience; it has nothing to do with imagination. There is nothing "imaginative" that you can do in a game that the designer didn't allow. You're confined to the design of the game. There's nothing you're going to do in a videogame that someone else hasn't already done in the same confines of your imaginative electronic adventure world.

It seems like your friend is an achievement whore and has issues managing his time. I have a similar friend. He subscribes to Gamefly and gets games as soon as they come out; stays up all night playing the game and unlocking achievements. He has no life outside of Med school and videogames. Pretty pathetic.

There's a difference between playing games and acknowledging achievements as a trivial 'bonus'; created by the same people who designed the game; and being an Achievement WHORE, hunting down every achievement to promote yourself as a "gamer" based on a number tied to their Xbox profile. I agree people who have enormous Gamerscores (that aren't involved in the professional gaming community) are losers. Even though they are losers, who's to say that they aren't having fun? Different strokes for different folks. Don't be a moronic asshole.

While you're spending your money watching sweaty guys run around handle balls, your friend is doing his thing too.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Apr 7 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #11

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

I used to collect gamerscore and rented easy games out hence my 41k gamerscore for a while, just because I was bored and life was pretty shitty for me then, but now I've got more of a life off the Xbox and now just play games for fun, but go out of the way for achievements if their easily reachable, or if I enjoyed the game (Such as completing Battlefield Bad Company on Hard).

At the moment the only game I play is Fifa 09 and not going for the achievements so much and it shows me what I forgot about gaming when I went for the points, the fun of it.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Apr 7 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #12

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 7 2009, 04:50 PM) [snapback]1494359[/snapback]
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 7 2009, 09:42 AM) [snapback]1494328[/snapback]
YEAH, MAX THE ENVELOPE.

How do achievements discourage actual imagination? You're playing a videogame; a simulated experience; it has nothing to do with imagination. There is nothing "imaginative" that you can do in a game that the designer didn't allow. You're confined to the design of the game. There's nothing you're going to do in a videogame that someone else hasn't already done in the same confines of your imaginative electronic adventure world.

It seems like your friend is an achievement whore and has issues managing his time. I have a similar friend. He subscribes to Gamefly and gets games as soon as they come out; stays up all night playing the game and unlocking achievements. He has no life outside of Med school and videogames. Pretty pathetic.

There's a difference between playing games and acknowledging achievements as a trivial 'bonus'; created by the same people who designed the game; and being an Achievement WHORE, hunting down every achievement to promote yourself as a "gamer" based on a number tied to their Xbox profile. I agree people who have enormous Gamerscores (that aren't involved in the professional gaming community) are losers. Even though they are losers, who's to say that they aren't having fun? Different strokes for different folks. Don't be a moronic asshole.

While you're spending your money watching sweaty guys run around handle balls, your friend is doing his thing too.
He was to say he wasn't having fun, he complained about it. You get his type in med school all the time, they prettymuch did the hardest thing they could do for the right to be martyrs about it.

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Apr 7 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #13

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 7 2009, 12:31 PM) [snapback]1494369[/snapback]
He was to say he wasn't having fun, he complained about it. You get his type in med school all the time, they prettymuch did the hardest thing they could do for the right to be martyrs about it.

Then that's plain fucking ridiculous.

Achievement Whore Martyr. Fucking Christ.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Kamahl
post Apr 8 2009, 06:15 AM
Post #14

Snitch

Member No.: 8,969
PSN Name: Kamahl_rg

QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Apr 6 2009, 10:21 AM) [snapback]1494032[/snapback]
Well, If I'm into the game enough, I'll seek them out. If I find the game boring then I don't do them.

about the same... i'll usually try to get them if its not too hard... for example, something like 5 headshots in a row... i can do that and still move on with the game so ill go for it.

The only game where i actually tried to get everything was Rock Band 2, and thats because i love rock band

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
The Awesome One
post Apr 8 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #15

Poshboy...

Member No.: 49,030
XBL Gamertag: the mighty moa

QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 6 2009, 04:07 PM) [snapback]1494031[/snapback]

So far Xbox Live players have unlocked 2.5 billion achievements and racked up a collective Gamerscore of 52 billion points, reports Greenberg. That's almost 150 achievements per Xbox Live member.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3976...ing_.php?page=1

Why do you think about achievements/trophies? Are they just a bonus to playing the game or are they something you actively seek out? How have they changed gaming for you?

I dont go for them, however in about 5-6 monthes of owning my xbox I have 188..

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 05:57 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4