Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I have finally switched over...
Severus Snape
post Feb 28 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #1

Litterer

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,564

...to a Mac. That's right - I have finally had enough.

We moved to Vegas about a month ago, and during the move the old PC died. Just up and freaking died. Not sure if it's the power source or the motherboard, but it won't fire up. So I decided to buy an HP Touchsmart, and it was a decent rig. Got it last Monday (the 21st). So I get it home and set up, and it starts to lock up on me. Constantly. During initial setup, and logging on, and logging off, and shutting down, and surfing the internet, and generally whenever it feels like it. So yesterday (the 26th) I spend 45 minutes on the phone with HP's tech support only to be told that the only option is to send it back so they can fix it. How long will that take, I ask. 4-6 weeks. Wait - I don't have another personal machine, and I have to wait 4-6 weeks to get the one I just bought fixed? Forget you. I told them I would just return it and they can refund my money (which they said they would seeing as how new it is).

So I'm trying to figure out what to do, and I decided I'd had enough. Time to switch to a Mac. Went to the apple store at Town Square in Vegas with $1500 and I walked out with an iMac. And I love it. 500 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, DVD Burner, 21.5 inch monitor. It's nice to have a machine that actually works for a change. I don't know why I didn't do this years ago.

Any other Mac converts out there? Anybody else get sick of owning a PC and went to a Mac?

--------------------
QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 14 2011, 02:10 PM) *
We're more than capable of answering you, we're just not doing it because you're being a cunt, and it's you specifically we don't care about, we do care about the rest of the forums.

Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Feb 28 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #2

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 14

no.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Feb 28 2011, 02:19 AM
Post #3

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,164

I have a mac. And I still think you're the AIDs that's killing steve jobs.

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Feb 28 2011, 04:51 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Meh,i can't see wasting 1500 dollars on a 800 PC equivalent.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 28 2011, 05:28 AM
Post #5

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

My $600 built-from-scratch PC is better than a $1500 Mac, and so was the $800 PC that it used to be. So technically, for $1400 I got two PC's for less than the cost of a Mac with weaker specs than either of them. Macs might be alright computers, but not at those prices.

And after a pre-made PC died on me, and considering how easy it was to build a new one, I'll never buy a computer again, I'll just build my own, assuming my beloved PC ever dies on me.

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Feb 28 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Massacre @ Feb 28 2011, 12:28 AM) *
My $600 built-from-scratch PC is better than a $1500 Mac, and so was the $800 PC that it used to be. So technically, for $1400 I got two PC's for less than the cost of a Mac with weaker specs than either of them. Macs might be alright computers, but not at those prices.

And after a pre-made PC died on me, and considering how easy it was to build a new one, I'll never buy a computer again, I'll just build my own, assuming my beloved PC ever dies on me.

That's just ignorant. Macs are a lot more powerful and durable then any PC. But not in the way 99% of us use them. Macs aren't built for games, or the internet, or, hell, even word. As the rhetoric goes, they are beefy music and art processors - any decent art school has at least a hundred labs filled with the things. Even low budget rock star wanna bees own two or three as part of their overall rig. And yes, a PC is included in that rig, because to get a Mac harddrive with space you need to spend, yet again, 1500. A PC? I spent a hundred on a 1T portable drive. I have two, and I use them between both systems. If you own a Mac for over a month and never push anything more then two icons on the GUI bar, then you've been had. Because here's the secret PC Fanboys wouldn't admit - they own a PC for a lifetime and rarely do more then check their email, troll 4chan and pirate video games. But that's why the PC will always win in the end, because most Mac users do the same exact thing. Only, like everyone else, my laptop was 500. (With a few hundred more for parts to keep up with the kids) My Mac was 2000. It's the same argument people had last millennium - 100 for a console, that does one thing really, really, really well, or a 1000 for a PC that does everything, just a little shitty in a lot of places. It's a trade off. Before you sink into a Mac, you have to ask what you're going to do with it. Are you a comic inker? The next Chemical Romance? No? Then don't waste the money.

ALSO - Macs just work/Macs don't get viruses/Macs have games too - is all marketing bullshit. Don't drink the koolaide.

A better metaphor.

The GT500 version of the Ford Mustang can go from zero to 60 in 4.3 seconds and has an estimated top speed of 155 mph. It costs $48,645 or so. You will only be able to use this car to it's full potential on one stretch of road in Montana. So, you may look more sexy next to the used Camry with the ugly Carmax sticker on the ass on the freeway, but you both can only go 60 and still sit in traffic. Pick your weapon hero.

This post has been edited by Heartless: Feb 28 2011, 05:53 AM

--------------------

The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Feb 28 2011, 06:30 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

its not that apple computers are more powerful, but that they are an "image" which artists want to feel a part of.

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Feb 28 2011, 06:46 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Feb 28 2011, 01:30 AM) *
its not that apple computers are more powerful, but that they are an "image" which artists want to feel a part of.

Of course! That's why schools spend millions on them every year! Because federally and privately funded institutions have so much less to worry about then their street cred. rolleyes.gif Most artists are pretentious dickbags who only paint because they hope to make an easy living and get laid. And yes, owning a mac, driving an electric car and drinking soy manages to bag some scags, some of the time. Macintosh used to be for a niche market. They are still designed for a niche market. They just came to understand that by attaching tits on something it immediately sells better.

That image may or may not be true. But guess what, that's what people think right now. So if your goal is to garner more clitter, then owning a macbook is a fast way to convince the shamelessly shallow female population that you actually give a shit about something. Of course the Mac has an image. We live in an empty, image driven society. Our culture tells us every ten years what we have to look like. I wish I grew up in 2000; do you understand how hard it was to find a woman that shaved in the 90s?

Owning a computer is like owning anything; understand what you really need it for and be honest. You might really want a Harley, but a sedan is better for groceries. If you work 80 hour weeks, maybe owning a dog isn't for you. PCs' are guilty of this too. Why the fuck do you need an alienware game system? Are you really that anal retentive to want to see the whiskers on jar jar binks scrotum? 99% of games don't even fucking register on something that beefy. Crysis 2 might need it, but guess what, Railroad Tycoon still looks like a dog pissed in your mouth. Nobody with a stable job can find enough time in the day to play enough games that makes owning a computer with a teraflop processing power worthwhile.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Feb 28 2011, 07:58 AM
Post #9

Capo

Member No.: 42,672

QUOTE (Severus Snape @ Feb 28 2011, 01:07 AM) *

Congrats. I have never owned a Mac and I won't own one anytime soon, but I do not doubt that they are good computers.

Did you never consider getting a PC with another Operating system? I use Windows and I want to try Linux some time. Windows is so bloated and resource hungry. How is Mac OS in comparison?

--------------------
The new GTA 5 website. GTA 5 forums.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 31 2010, 06:37 AM) *

That's for you ^
Use it in your sig or avatar because you are very special.

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Tranque
post Feb 28 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #10

Trickster

Member No.: 42,061

Hip. Now you can walk around with an acoustic guitar or sit in cafe's with your mac and pretend to be writing a totally unique romantic comedy that goes all out but not too far because you still want it to sell since the economy is tough but you'll definitly put in some references to Kubrick for the educated crowd.

Also, fedora.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Severus Snape
post Feb 28 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #11

Litterer

Member No.: 28,564

Question for you: Did you replace your $600 machine because it died? If so, then you spent the exact same amount on 2 machines that I did for 1. And the reason you did that was because one of them died - after spending $600 on parts, time to build, time to update the bios and every driver and every other thing that Microsoft "forgets" to tell you that you'll need to update to get about 75% productivity out of the machine.

Don't get me wrong - the PC that died during our move was a custom build that I put together for about $900. A little expensive, but when you compare what I spent to build it vs. what a machine (back in 2007) would have cost pre-made, it was a good deal. But it died on me for some reason that I just cannot figure out. So I bought a new one at a great price (and the specs on the Touchsmart are pretty amazing), and it wouldn't work. So I've had it with MS, and went with a Mac.

In essence, I got 1 machine that works at about 95% of optimum for the same price that you paid (parts only - not time or energy) for 2 machines that don't work as well. Now, this is just my opinion as I don't know what problems you may or may not have with your current rigs. But I know I won't have to worry about viruses, spyware, adware, malware, lockups, freezes, rebooting, and generally things not working. And that's what makes the price acceptable - peace of mind. Knowing that when I want to use my machine - no matter what I'm using it for - that it will just work without problem. And that's something you can't put a price tag on.

QUOTE (demon @ Feb 28 2011, 02:58 AM) *
QUOTE (Severus Snape @ Feb 28 2011, 01:07 AM) *

Congrats. I have never owned a Mac and I won't own one anytime soon, but I do not doubt that they are good computers.

Did you never consider getting a PC with another Operating system? I use Windows and I want to try Linux some time. Windows is so bloated and resource hungry. How is Mac OS in comparison?

During the build of my last rig, I tried installing Ubuntu and it wouldn't take. I never figured out why, either. I tried installing it a couple times, and it wouldn't install properly. Very probably it was user error, but I gave up and installed Media Center.

As to how the Mac OS is in comparison to Windows...I can't answer that yet. I've only had it a couple days, so I haven't been able to fully dive into it and see what it's like when you look at resources and management and all that.

--------------------
QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 14 2011, 02:10 PM) *
We're more than capable of answering you, we're just not doing it because you're being a cunt, and it's you specifically we don't care about, we do care about the rest of the forums.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 28 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #12

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

QUOTE (Severus Snape @ Feb 28 2011, 10:31 AM) *

Question for you: Did you replace your $600 machine because it died? If so, then you spent the exact same amount on 2 machines that I did for 1. And the reason you did that was because one of them died - after spending $600 on parts, time to build, time to update the bios and every driver and every other thing that Microsoft "forgets" to tell you that you'll need to update to get about 75% productivity out of the machine.

Don't get me wrong - the PC that died during our move was a custom build that I put together for about $900. A little expensive, but when you compare what I spent to build it vs. what a machine (back in 2007) would have cost pre-made, it was a good deal. But it died on me for some reason that I just cannot figure out. So I bought a new one at a great price (and the specs on the Touchsmart are pretty amazing), and it wouldn't work. So I've had it with MS, and went with a Mac.

In essence, I got 1 machine that works at about 95% of optimum for the same price that you paid (parts only - not time or energy) for 2 machines that don't work as well. Now, this is just my opinion as I don't know what problems you may or may not have with your current rigs. But I know I won't have to worry about viruses, spyware, adware, malware, lockups, freezes, rebooting, and generally things not working. And that's what makes the price acceptable - peace of mind. Knowing that when I want to use my machine - no matter what I'm using it for - that it will just work without problem. And that's something you can't put a price tag on.

I didn't know much about fixing computers back when my initial PC started having problems, so yeah, it died, but it would still be running had I been able to recognize that my power supply was too weak. $70 power supply, and it would still be running. It was HP's fault in the long run for using a bare-minimum power supply (though buying an HP in the first place wasn't the best idea), but it was my fault it ever got to that point in the first place, and the power supply might have held out if I didn't use my PC 12 hours a day.

My current PC has no problems at all, works just as well as any Mac (or better, since most people likely don't use their Macs 12 or more hours a day), and there was no time or energy involved in building it; I've put together jigsaw puzzles that gave me more trouble. The thing that took the longest was bridge-testing the parts to see what fried when the power supply gave out, which took about five minutes.

If you love your Mac and couldn't fix your old rig (Was the problem hardware or software?), fine, but I've only had one problem with my old PC, and it was hardware, not software. I've had no problems with Windows, so HP's on my blacklist, not Microsoft.

I look at PC-to-Mac converts like I look at people who say Fallout: New Vegas is glitched beyond playability. You may have had problems, but I haven't had any problems on my end. I guess I just have good luck with things like this.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Edgecrusher
post Mar 1 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #13

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Group Icon

Member No.: 480
PSN Name: JonnyCanonFodder

QUOTE (Severus Snape @ Feb 28 2011, 03:31 PM) *
During the build of my last rig, I tried installing Ubuntu and it wouldn't take. I never figured out why, either. I tried installing it a couple times, and it wouldn't install properly. Very probably it was user error, but I gave up and installed Media Center.

That's the thing about Linux though; it's not all done for you, it does require you to invest some time and effort but ultimately it makes you better at computing. In return you get the ability to surf the internet without wearing a condom.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Mar 1 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #14

Still Standing
Group Icon

Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

Mac's are only good at one thing. Looking fashionable.

So if that's what you were you looking for, you win.

Ubuntu on the other hand, is pretty good for a third party OS.

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Mar 1 2011, 08:31 PM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Mar 1 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #15

Capo

QUOTE (Massacre @ Feb 28 2011, 09:05 PM) *
I didn't know much about fixing computers back when my initial PC started having problems, so yeah, it died, but it would still be running had I been able to recognize that my power supply was too weak. $70 power supply, and it would still be running. It was HP's fault in the long run for using a bare-minimum power supply (though buying an HP in the first place wasn't the best idea), but it was my fault it ever got to that point in the first place, and the power supply might have held out if I didn't use my PC 12 hours a day.

My current PC has no problems at all, works just as well as any Mac (or better, since most people likely don't use their Macs 12 or more hours a day), and there was no time or energy involved in building it; I've put together jigsaw puzzles that gave me more trouble. The thing that took the longest was bridge-testing the parts to see what fried when the power supply gave out, which took about five minutes.

HP are infamous for weak PSUs.

What is the so called bridge-testing? You test what gets fried, but isn't that like torching your house to see what part of it burn down quickest?

--------------------

That's for you ^

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Mar 2 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #16

LFC

Member No.: 39,835
PSN Name: trathen

meh macs dont really interest me, got to have a mess on one a few times in school but I wasnt converted. I seem to be one of them "If I dont know how to do it after 10 mins, then fuck it", type of person. I think that some PC's seem to be better value too, im currently building a pc myself with stuff that ive managed to obtain mostly from a few other family members pretty cheaply, with pretty good specs.

--------------------

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Mar 2 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Mar 1 2011, 09:30 PM) *
Mac's are only good at one thing. Looking fashionable.

So if that's what you were you looking for, you win.

Ubuntu on the other hand, is pretty good for a third party OS.

I agree, Ubuntu is quite good for a free OS, and is just as easy to learn as any of the others. Think about how much time it took people to get familiar with windows. Its just that becuase windows is so popular they forget that 15 years ago it took them 5 years to learn it. (or they grew up with it and are learning it as a second language)

QUOTE (demon @ Mar 2 2011, 12:00 AM) *
QUOTE (Massacre @ Feb 28 2011, 09:05 PM) *

HP are infamous for weak PSUs.

What is the so called bridge-testing? You test what gets fried, but isn't that like torching your house to see what part of it burn down quickest?

HP sucks... too bad i own one. They always crap out, especially there powersupplies in their mini-pc's are shit. I got this computer for free, but ifi was paying for it i definitely would stay away from a PC.

This post has been edited by Qdeathstar: Mar 2 2011, 12:09 AM

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Mar 2 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #18

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

QUOTE (demon @ Mar 1 2011, 06:00 PM) *

This. Also, I have mistakenly called it a bridge test multiple times now. It's a bench test.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Mar 2 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #19

Capo

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 2 2011, 01:58 AM) *
QUOTE (demon @ Mar 1 2011, 06:00 PM) *

This. Also, I have mistakenly called it a bridge test multiple times now. It's a bench test.

Allright, I know what a bench test is.

I clicked the link and that page triggered a fatal error in my browser and it had to quit. Not going back.

--------------------

That's for you ^

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 11:54 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4