IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What differs a LCD PC screen from a LCD TV?
demon
post Nov 27 2010, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Capo

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,672

I don't know if I want to get a computer LCD screen or a LCD TV. What differs them? Of course, the TV has a tuner and the PC screen don't. But other than that?

I want a LCD screen for Playstation and television, and I would want it to be usable as a PC screen too. Can one screen do all that?

I asked in a shop and the man there said that a Playstation can't use a PC screen and a PC can't use a TV. Maybe he's right, but he couldn't explain anything so I don't trust him too much.

Anyone tried to watch TV on the PC through a TV card? How does this compare to a regular TV?

--------------------
The new GTA 5 website. GTA 5 forums.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 31 2010, 06:37 AM) *

That's for you ^
Use it in your sig or avatar because you are very special.

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Edgecrusher
post Nov 28 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #2

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 480
PSN Name: JonnyCanonFodder

If you have a PC with an HDMI port and a reasonable graphics card, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but there might be a limit on the screen size that your graphics card can support, so it may be worth a bit of googling first. If your PC doesn't have an HDMI port, go for a TV with a VGA port. You will still need to find out what size screen your card supports though. As for the Playstation, it can use any screen with an HDMI, so you can pretty much disreguard what the tool in the shop said.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Nov 28 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #3

Capo

QUOTE (JonnyCanonFodder @ Nov 28 2010, 01:59 AM) *
If you have a PC with an HDMI port and a reasonable graphics card, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but there might be a limit on the screen size that your graphics card can support, so it may be worth a bit of googling first. If your PC doesn't have an HDMI port, go for a TV with a VGA port. You will still need to find out what size screen your card supports though. As for the Playstation, it can use any screen with an HDMI, so you can pretty much disreguard what the tool in the shop said.

I plan to build a new pc and the graphics card will be very very good. It's going to have HDMI and whatever else that is common on a high spec gaming machine.
Limit on the screen size a graphics card can support? huh.gif The card will support so and so many pixels, aren't all those pixels going to utilize a TV in the same way as they will utilize a monitor? unsure.gif

I have not decided screen size, but I'm guessing at least 24 inches and less than 30 inches. If I sit 1 meter (3 feet) away from it, it can easily become too big.

--------------------

That's for you ^

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Edgecrusher
post Nov 28 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 480
PSN Name: JonnyCanonFodder

QUOTE (demon @ Nov 28 2010, 05:38 PM) *
Limit on the screen size a graphics card can support? huh.gif The card will support so and so many pixels, aren't all those pixels going to utilize a TV in the same way as they will utilize a monitor?

My mate tried to connect his netbook to a 40" LCD and all it would display was his wallpaper without any icons etcetera, or a static image. Shouldn't be a problem if you're going to be using a powerful graphics card though.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
demon
post Nov 28 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #5

Capo

My mate tried to connect his netbook to a 40" LCD and all it would display was his wallpaper without any icons etcetera, or a static image.

Weird.

For a PC screen, what's the best format of 16:10 and 16:9? What's best for games?
My current screen is 4:3 and I have no experience with modern PC games. Maybe they adapt to the screen format and resolution.

I have not upgraded the hardware the last ten years, and my knowledge is about as outdated as the hardware. I appreciate the help.

--------------------

That's for you ^

QUOTE (TF)
for being a little bitch
Edited by TF.
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 06:16 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4