DuPz0r
post Oct 2 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Still Standing
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

So those of you that have started Uni this month, what sort of things did you do in induction week? I had a number of fun things each day. The two best things I'll explain.

I was put in some random group and told to go to lunch and get to know them, and bring back an apple. When we got back, there was about 20 groups of 5 people that were given 50 sheets of paper and sellotape. We were all told to build a tower with the paper and then balance the apple on the top of it for at least 5 seconds. My team came third place. We strategically built the tower from three cylinders in a triangle, supported by small cylinder struts all made from paper. It looked like a crane in terms of shape. We managed to built it up to 8.2 feet. The winners managed to get their tower over 14 foot, and still got the apple to balance! It was shaped like a giant spliff! That was awesome.

The next day we had to keep the same group as the day before, we were told that we had a treasure hunt... Okay, so the only clue the tutor gave us was to go on the local animators forum. So we all raced the the LRC and checked it. We were told to take pictures of the whole group in-front of certain places/landmarks and some cases with certain people around the campus. We all ran around the campus finding these places and people. The last three places were 5 miles away in the nearest town of St Albans. We had to find a cathedral, a comic book store and then an O'Neil's Pub last. It took FUCKING AGES! But we had a laugh, got to know each other really well. We didn't win unfortunately, but it was fun. The winners got a free pint from every teacher! So like 5 pints each ROFL. They managed to do it in like 30 minutes because one of them had a car on campus! We got there about 15th but we got to have a good chat with the second years, 3rd years, and people that were in the industry. I spoke to a guy working with Rare microsoft, and another guy that had just got a contract with Sony! So i was like networking like crazy, trying to get email addy's and facebook names!

Was a great week, and i'd advise anyone in the UK wanting to get into 3D Games Art/3D Animation/Visual Effects/2D Animation. To get their buts into the course at UH!!! The tutors are amazing people. My games art tutor was one of the lead designers for the legendary game Golden Eye, and he worked on Perfect Dark too.

Thanks for reading if you could even have been bothered.

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Oct 2 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

Classic team building exercise by the sounds of it, usually to see who has potential leadership skills and who may need extra help.
Good to know you're enjoying yourself and it's certainly the right course for you. wink.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
Hardcore Ottoman
post Oct 2 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Goon
Group Icon

Member No.: 41
PSN Name: punxtr

Sounds awesome Duppy. Enjoi.

--------------------
"BAKING A LASAGNA IN YOUR PUNANI MIKE PARADINAS IN YOUR PUNANI INTELLVISION BASKETBALL IN YOUR PUNANI HE-MAN AND SKELETOR IN YOUR PUNANI UNDERGOING PLASTIC SURGERY IN YOUR PUNANI WEARING LEATHER JACKETS IN YOUR PUNANI DRIVING MY CAR IN YOUR PUNANI WELFARE WEDNESDAY IN YOUR PUNANI I WANT TO PUT ORANGE JUICE IN YOUR PUNANI EGG SALAD SANDWICHES IN YOUR PUNANI HOT-DOGS AND FRENCH FRIES IN YOUR PUNANI CHEF BOYARDEE IN YOUR PUNANI"
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Oct 2 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Boss
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,397

I skipped all the socials the University offered. I just smoked blunts with some girls I met a the cafeteria in my room and then ended up fucking one them later that night, another the next day.

I miss college. Sigh.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Zacko
post Oct 3 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #5

Vandal
Group Icon

Member No.: 54

Sounds pretty cool Dup, can't wait to start Uni next year (doing a Gap Year seems to be a bad and boring idea so far).

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Darth Sexy
post Oct 4 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #6

The Thunder Down Under
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,214

Taking a year off was the best thing I ever did. I didn't bother turning up to my induction week, I doubt I missed much.

--------------------

QUOTE(Lmoz96 @ Jul 27 2009, 08:31 PM) [snapback]1514882[/snapback]
Marney1... you know that I can literatly kill you
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Oct 4 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #7

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE (Darth_Sexy @ Oct 4 2009, 05:34 AM) *
Taking a year off was the best thing I ever did. I didn't bother turning up to my induction week, I doubt I missed much.

I took a three year gap after school, and realized it was a dumb idea and wanted to accomplish something before it was too late. So i went back to college 3 years ago and now managed to get in to Uni. So i think I've worked pretty hard to get here. And I'm pleased, because I've actually got to an age (or state of mind) where i really want to learn.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Darth Sexy
post Oct 4 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #8

The Thunder Down Under
Group Icon

I'm unsure what the difference between college and uni is.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Oct 4 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #9

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

I was involved in the running of freshers' week at Edinburgh this year. I basically fucked around a lot.

Let's see...we helped freshers make masks (the feminist society run a masquerade ball every year), led pub crawls and coffee crawls, ran club nights at the union (I had the job of looking after Tim Westwood, HOW GANGSTA?), helped out at the Harry Potter society's sorting hat ceremony (I love how that even exists), stewarded the dodgems and the surfing machine (yes those too both exist)...

We got to be kids for a week. It was schweet.

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Oct 4 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 4 2009, 12:34 PM) *
I was involved in the running of freshers' week at Edinburgh this year. I basically fucked around a lot.

Let's see...we helped freshers make masks (the feminist society run a masquerade ball every year), led pub crawls and coffee crawls, ran club nights at the union (I had the job of looking after Tim Westwood, HOW GANGSTA?), helped out at the Harry Potter society's sorting hat ceremony (I love how that even exists), stewarded the dodgems and the surfing machine (yes those too both exist)...

We got to be kids for a week. It was schweet.

Lol on the harry potter society. We have a sci-fi society at our campus!

Darth:

College is what we have after high-school in EU, and then we have University after that to get our degree's. Where-as college in the US basically is University...

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Darth Sexy
post Oct 5 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #11

The Thunder Down Under
Group Icon

Ahhh. In Australia we just go straight from high school to Uni. Perhaps college is similar to our TAFE?

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Psy
post Oct 6 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #12

You'll Never Walk Alone
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
XBL Gamertag: Psyware
PSN Name: Psycopsy
Xfire Identity: Psyware

Your induction sounded a bit more exciting than mine. Having said that, I skipped most of mine because it was all boring lectures. Oh wait, no, I remember, last year we had to go around asking people questions and trying to find people who filled every box on your sheet. Stuff like "Has a guitar". "Has a sister". "Has a car" etc. How exciting!!!!!!

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Oct 6 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #13

Jailbird
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 23,545

QUOTE (Psy @ Oct 6 2009, 11:22 AM) *
Your induction sounded a bit more exciting than mine. Having said that, I skipped most of mine because it was all boring lectures. Oh wait, no, I remember, last year we had to go around asking people questions and trying to find people who filled every box on your sheet. Stuff like "Has a guitar". "Has a sister". "Has a car" etc. How exciting!!!!!!

Weird, ours was exactly the same. Hated my course and left already XD.png. Might have got me an Apprenticeship as a Chef in a top restaurant though.

--------------------
YES I don't play Xbox 360 anymore.

Add me on steam BITCHES. Pieface876
Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Oct 6 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #14

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pieface @ Oct 6 2009, 11:36 AM) *

Weird, ours was exactly the same. Hated my course and left already XD.png. Might have got me an Apprenticeship as a Chef in a top restaurant though.

McDonalds are taking people on.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Oct 6 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #15

Jailbird
Group Icon

QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 6 2009, 12:31 PM) *

Weird, ours was exactly the same. Hated my course and left already XD.png . Might have got me an Apprenticeship as a Chef in a top restaurant though.

You know Heswall, it's a restaurant called Gusto. Footballers restaurant lolz, so should see a few while there.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Oct 6 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #16

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pieface @ Oct 6 2009, 01:59 PM) *

Weird, ours was exactly the same. Hated my course and left already XD.png . Might have got me an Apprenticeship as a Chef in a top restaurant though.

You know Heswall, it's a restaurant called Gusto. Footballers restaurant lolz, so should see a few while there.

You're working there?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Pieface
post Oct 6 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #17

Jailbird
Group Icon

QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 6 2009, 02:05 PM) *

You're working there?

Got a trial there soon according the the head chef.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Oct 6 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #18

Godfather
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pieface @ Oct 6 2009, 03:43 PM) *
QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 6 2009, 02:05 PM) *

You're working there?

Got a trial there soon according the the head chef.

Good news, I'd grab it with both hands if I were you.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Oct 6 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #19

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

Yeah we had to do that for our first year SSC. It was anaesthesia omgz!!

Dupz0r: Edinburgh's pretty big on societies...Pizza Heroes is thought to be the biggest in Britain...

There's a sci-fi society, a society for American vet medics, two Romanian societies, hitchhiking, Palestinian solidarity, table football, pony-trekking...I could go on. There's even a chillout society...

I'm a member of the football society, the newspaper and the Royal Medical Society...how mainstream of me.

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:47 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4