> Fallout: New Vegas, Official Gameplay Thread
PabloHoneyOle
post Oct 19 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 40,397

I dedicate this thread to Bones, Synch, Massacre and shit, even Pieface. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you in the Mojave Wasteland and hearing about yours.

Please remember to use spoiler tags.

Viva New Vegas!
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
§ynch
post Oct 19 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #2

Riff-Raff
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,395
XBL Gamertag: synchronizer
PSN Name: alpha male
Xfire Identity: XFire it up

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 19 2010, 03:44 AM) *
I dedicate this thread to Bones, Synch, Massacre and shit, even Pieface. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you in the Mojave Wasteland and hearing about yours.

Please remember to use spoiler tags.

Viva New Vegas!

Thanks Stoic.

First game play, it's nice and smooth. Good to be on the west coast.
You'll notice scenery, plant life and food - colored for the area.
Same with the text of the game, gives it a western feel.
It's good exploring for all known items, and a lot of new ones.

While there are some complicated procedures, the old ones are there also.
I'm gathering up as much as possible, selling what I don't need, and building skills & relationships.

Got through the first few side quests so I can help with that, but most of you won't need help.

--------------------
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 18 2009, 09:59 PM) *
Apparently, Synch does acid rather than smoking weed...
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Oct 6 2009, 12:05 PM) *
synch is a fucking walking fallout 3 wikipedia lol...
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Oct 19 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #3

Boss
Group Icon

Have you run into any glitches on the 360?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Oct 19 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #4

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

Well shit, I've already fucked up. One of the NPC's in Goodsprings went and got herself killed, and now I need her for a quest. I can't abandon the quest, and I can't continue either. I'll wait until you guys get through the starting quests to elaborate.

Fuck it, started a new game.

This post has been edited by Massacre: Oct 20 2010, 12:38 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
§ynch
post Oct 20 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #5

Riff-Raff
Group Icon

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 19 2010, 08:55 AM) *
Have you run into any glitches on the 360?

I have not.

However, being that this is open-ended with many possible outcomes
for each side mission and story mission, I have seen alternatives.

I've already found maybe 30 locations, and have no strategy guide
or any previous knowledge of the Mojave Wasteland.

So - some of the side missions I've solved, are first timers, and different than others will solve.

Played better part of all day from 10AM to midnight, with a food break.
No locking up, or glitches of any kind. Just our own outcome glitches.

Regarding Massacre's issue, I did re-load to a previous save a few times,
because people died in what is becoming another of my successful but lethal characters.

I may have been going too fast, everyone is pretty much still alive but still no one to repair my stuff.
So I've been repairing it as much as possible, but only at Level 6 so skills are still low.

Have spoilers on about 6 side missions but will keep quiet on that for awhile.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Oct 20 2010, 05:35 AM
Post #6

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

I had my game freeze earlier, but I had left it paused for three hours beforehand, so I'm going to go ahead and say Obsidian probably didn't do that one. I do frequently lag up for about a second, which scares me into saving my game, but no problems other than that.

My range of vision on my standard-def TV is pissing me off, though. I'll likely break down and buy the PC version by the weekend. Curse my infatuation with swag...

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Oct 20 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #7

Boss
Group Icon

I didn't get to start playing until 1030 last night and I was already tired as hell.

I did the tutorial missions in Goodsprings last night. Didn't get very far, I may just restart fresh this afternoon.

I fucked up a couple things, first of all Cheyenne got killed by the Geckos in the "shooting tutorial". It upset Sunny pretty badly - at first I thought it was a prescripted event based on our dialogue, but I realized it's just one of those things with this game. Maybe I could have saved him. I also forced the safe in the schoolhouse on accident. Dammit.

Anyway, what were your characters SPECIAL like? What traits did you choose?

For my first playthrough, I went with a pretty balanced SPECIAL setup with a little more emphasis on Charisma, Intelligence and Luck. I think I'll be trying to schmooze my way through the Wasteland with this character. For the initial traits, I chose the Good Natured and the Wild West trait, that makes everything "wackier".

Anyone decide to give hardcore mode a playthrough yet? It sounds very overbearing, but I think I will start a game after my first couple of playthroughs.

This post has been edited by Stoic Person Eater: Oct 20 2010, 12:20 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
§ynch
post Oct 20 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #8

Riff-Raff
Group Icon

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 20 2010, 04:19 AM) *
I didn't get to start playing until 1030 last night and I was already tired as hell.

I did the tutorial missions in Goodsprings last night. Didn't get very far, I may just restart fresh this afternoon.

I fucked up a couple things, first of all Cheyenne got killed by the Geckos in the "shooting tutorial". It upset Sunny pretty badly - at first I thought it was a prescripted event based on our dialogue, but I realized it's just one of those things with this game. Maybe I could have saved him. I also forced the safe in the schoolhouse on accident. Dammit.

Anyway, what were your characters SPECIAL like? What traits did you choose?

For my first playthrough, I went with a pretty balanced SPECIAL setup with a little more emphasis on Charisma, Intelligence and Luck. I think I'll be trying to schmooze my way through the Wasteland with this character. For the initial traits, I chose the Good Natured and the Wild West trait, that makes everything "wackier".

Anyone decide to give hardcore mode a playthrough yet? It sounds very overbearing, but I think I will start a game after my first couple of playthroughs.

The training was great, I went for the extended and ended up looking for flowers, roots, etc during exploring.

Figured out how to use them and the benches, and then end up saving everything in hopes of. Too much stash.

I think during the ammo and re-loader bench dialogue with Chet, I lost the repair option.

Near the campfire area is where I first started to set up camp, at Goodsprings Source, in a little trailer with storage and a bed.

It gets old though dragging 1,000 lbs. of stuff to the general store.

I have now "fame" with some factions, and "infamy" with others. Most notably, the Powder Gangers, Jackals, and the Legion hate me.

Some of the gangs and creatures like radscorps are so tough, and the new health system is so different, I'm glad I didn't take Hardcore Mode.

Gangs: The Powder Gangers, Jackals, and Snipers are easy, but the Legion are proving to be not as gay as their dresses makes them look.

Creatures: Don't under estimate ANY of the radscorps this time. The health system has been re-vamped where you need anti-venom,
and the food does almost nothing in comparison to Fallout 3. Might be why they have special recipes using regular food.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Oct 20 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #9

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

i played about 8 hours yesterday... i am currently sitting in novac, on the trail of my killer... i've done a few main quest missions and a few on the side... i've probably discovered about 15 locations but, i didn't explore every one of the them through... there are some cool places and then there are some fucked up ones...

and like synch said, don't underestimate the creatures neither... i constantly find pockets of ants and scorpions, sometimes as many as 10 of them in a single location... it really takes some strategy after a while... i've only died once so far and that happened when i ran into a pack of vipers, one of the factions in the mojave...

i've had to re-load a few times, just to re-do something specific, and also when i clipped through half a plane and got stuck... no one has died on me just yet... a couple of random encounters were testing me though... i even managed to save a lady from geckos in the tutorial quest...

to be quite honest, i am moving along in this game at a confident pace... i've handle just about every situation with great strategy and taken with a good approach to the situations... a couple of battles turned into an old fashioned shoot-out but, i am making good use of my surorundings...

and HOLY SHIT, i think i am cheating using the caravan shotgun!! i have pumped probably more than a hundred shells through it and it is still almost in mint condition!! this fucker is going to hold up nicely biggrin.gif... it deals out about the same amount of damage as the single shotgun but, it's double barreled with two bullets delivered separately and it's durability is probably unmatched... and i am still wearing the lightweight leather armor too because, it's a neutral outfit and it's still the better suit of armor that i've found so far, which isn't much...

my character is kind of balanced with a touch of agility and luck... S=6 P=6 E=6 C=4 I=5 A=7 L=7... and i've already used one of my perks on an additional SPECIAL point, as well as on "shotgun surgeon" since my guy is turning into a great CQC guy with his shotgun, and the "educated" perk, giving me a few more skills points when i level up... i only took the trigger discipline trait at the beginning, it's the one that gives you 20% more accuracy at the cost of firing 20% slower... i think it's paid off already out there biggrin.gif...

i also found myself a place to stay, although, i did wonder about a few places i came across on my journey... free beds and containers everywhere!! something makes me think we'll be able to almost choose wherever to be our home... i paid a hundred caps for a motel room in ***** novac ***** and the keep said i could have it until the busy season kicks in, which is probably never laugh.gif... so, a hundred bucks for a nice looking pad... i got some shit in the containers right now, and i am willing to gamble to see if it saves my stuff...

speaking of gambling, i started to figure out how to play caravan... i won my last game... but, i am itching to get to the strip so i can play some roulette and blackjack... and sit like a zombie at the slots too biggrin.gif... i am loving this game though... it's a fallout 3 lovers paradise!! maybe today i'll sit down and try to learn how to craft and make bullets... i haven't looked much into it just yet...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Oct 20 2010, 03:40 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Oct 20 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #10

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (§ynch @ Oct 20 2010, 08:53 AM) *
The training was great, I went for the extended and ended up looking for flowers, roots, etc during exploring.

Figured out how to use them and the benches, and then end up saving everything in hopes of. Too much stash.

I really like this aspect of the game, it was something that was missing in Fallout 3 until Point Lookout, where you could make Moonshine for cash based on things you scavenged for. After speaking with Easy Pete, I think there will be much more focus on scavenging than before.

Near the campfire area is where I first started to set up camp, at Goodsprings Source, in a little trailer with storage and a bed.

I've slept there. Have you come across any ownable safehouses? I'm looking forward to setting up a few different camps across the wasteland, but it's always nice to have a humble abode to dump and display my treasures in.

I have now "fame" with some factions, and "infamy" with others. Most notably, the Powder Gangers, Jackals, and the Legion hate me.

I'm curious how "Fame" and "Karma" are going to mix things up. It seems like the "Fame" will take precedence over the "Karma" system when it comes to NPC's perceptions of you, especially if they are affiliated with a tribe.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Oct 20 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #11

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Oct 20 2010, 11:35 AM) *
i also found myself a place to stay, although, i did wonder about a few places i came across on my journey... free beds and containers everywhere!!

There are so many beds because of Hardcore mode. They didn't want it to be too hard to avoid sleep deprivation. I imagine there are several wells and water sources outside of the group aroud Goodsprings, too. I think ammo having weight will be the biggest problem with Hardcore mode.

Using my controller to shoot instead of a keyboard and mouse will take a lot of getting used to. Luckily, there are geckos out the ass in the Mojave, so I'm getting plenty of practice.

Taking it slow after starting a second game last night, got to make sure no one important dies (apparently none of the NPC's are set as essential in this game?). Heading into Primm now...

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
§ynch
post Oct 20 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #12

Riff-Raff
Group Icon

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 20 2010, 08:54 AM) *

I really like this aspect of the game, it was something that was missing in Fallout 3 until Point Lookout, where you could make Moonshine for cash based on things you scavenged for. After speaking with Easy Pete, I think there will be much more focus on scavenging than before.

I've slept there. Have you come across any ownable safehouses? I'm looking forward to setting up a few different camps across the wasteland, but it's always nice to have a humble abode to dump and display my treasures in.

I'm curious how "Fame" and "Karma" are going to mix things up. It seems like the "Fame" will take precedence over the "Karma" system when it comes to NPC's perceptions of you, especially if they are affiliated with a tribe.

Yep - but there is still the karma system. Note the things that are marked red, you will recieve bad karma for stealing.

Also note about old vs. new health and skill system: Some of the old reliable books like Guns and Bullets will still work, adding permanent points.
The new ones like Meeting People and others are short term, for when you are -about to- go and speech someone, pick a lock, use weapons, etc.
The health system is killing me, so I guess I am trying to make all the concoctions that you can see, with ingrediants. That and skill up on med skill.

I noted the "infamy" text after taking out everything in Nipton - but ran across Legion members in the wastes that don't shoot.
Same for the powders - they haven't been shooting either, and I pissed them off very early like the 2nd hour of the game.

Found many houses - locked and unlocked. As I did the sides and storyliners differently, we may find out those houses were ownable, or not.

But basically, the first time I may have lost out, was: I re-programmed the Primm Sim to be sheriff of Primm.
Many had made suggestions of who they wanted as sheriff, but in the end I re-programmed the robot and may have lost a house.
All of the four houses that were available in Primm then became occupied with residents. Could just be coincidence.
When I rescued Deputy Beagle, he died in the first fight so I re-loaded, rescued him again, and closed the doors so he could escape.
Then I took out the escaped convict leader of the Primm Hotel, and got his Incinerator. Don't think I could have taken out the
Legion in Nipton without that big weapon. So during all of that, I may have missed a house opportunity.

There is also the house that Pete stays in in Goodsprings. The other house everything is red in, and a woman lives there.
I get the feeling that had I had a higher speech skill, I could have talked Pete out of his dynamite, and his house.
Will not know for awhile because I put the Ringo mission on the back burner. But have convinced Sunny and Trudy to join.
Pete and Chet are the ones that my speech skill wasn't high enough for, so who knows if I lost a house, or haven't yet.

My biggest worries about a house are all of the stuff I've collected (not for sale, but for recipes) that may dissappear.
They haven't so far in either location, Goodsprings Source, or the trailer behind the saloon.

Now I have 5 or 6 locations of empty houses loaded with loot to transport back and sell much of.
Companion note: ED-D the eyebot can carry more than Fawkes could!!! L0L

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Oct 20 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 20 2010, 12:54 PM) *
Have you come across any ownable safehouses? I'm looking forward to setting up a few different camps across the wasteland, but it's always nice to have a humble abode to dump and display my treasures in.

i think i found one... i bought the room for a hundred caps and they said i could have it for a while, which probably means forever biggrin.gif... i'll keep using it and let you know if i lose anything... but, i think it's safe... the room is located in the town of novac...

--------------------

Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Oct 20 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #14

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (§ynch @ Oct 20 2010, 01:27 PM) *
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 20 2010, 08:54 AM) *

Yep - but there is still the karma system. Note the things that are marked red, you will recieve bad karma for stealing.

Yeah, I know about the Karma system and how it works. I'm a kleptomaniac. What I was getting at is in Fallout 3, people seemed to react to you whether you were Good or Evil. That was the big deciding factor into what kind of character you want to be. The new system has the old Good vs. Evil setup, but now you can also be Famous or Infamous - which seems to be the big deciding factor in how people and factions are going to respond to you.
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Oct 20 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #15

does anyone hear the same thing i hear when walking over graveyards?? that's some freaky shit...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Oct 20 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #16

Boss
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Oct 20 2010, 03:09 PM) *
does anyone hear the same thing i hear when walking over graveyards?? that's some freaky shit...

What does it sound like?

Also, did you do the Wild West trait? It's supposed to make everything trippier.
Achievements

+Quote Post
§ynch
post Oct 20 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #17

Riff-Raff
Group Icon

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 20 2010, 11:13 AM) *
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Oct 20 2010, 03:09 PM) *

What does it sound like?

Also, did you do the Wild West trait? It's supposed to make everything trippier.

Yeah like, the best/weirdest of the west. Thought it may include mirages and aliens as well.
I also like the new soundtrack, but I am also constantly hearing the new sounds for leveling up, XP,
and the weird communication noises from ED-D. Not sure if they are translatable.
I pretty much only use the inventory wheel for it.

Saw the houses and motel rooms in Novac. A view of T-Rex. I'm still looting Nipton, will go back to Novac and see.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Oct 20 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #18

Boss
Group Icon

I'd like to be able to live inside the Tyrannosaurus.
Achievements

+Quote Post
trathen93
post Oct 20 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #19

LFC

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,835
PSN Name: trathen

Just pre-ordered off shopto, cant understand why the rest of the world gets it before us. hoping it comes on friday, got to love the free 1st class delivery on shopto.

shall be waiting for the postman on friday with my fingers crossed.

--------------------

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Achievements

+Quote Post
§ynch
post Oct 20 2010, 09:17 PM
Post #20

Riff-Raff
Group Icon

QUOTE (El-Nino @ Oct 20 2010, 12:28 PM) *
Just pre-ordered off shopto, cant understand why the rest of the world gets it before us.

That's the old thread. This thread is for game play.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

35 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 12:27 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4