DuPz0r
post Jan 10 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #1

Still Standing
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 439
PSN Name: BushkaUK

Still quite a way till release, and there isn't much info about this game yet. But i thought i may as well start a thread anyway.

Game Informer magazine recently published a new article exposing a number of new features. one of the main features is the levelling system which has been re-designed to allow more freedom to the characters. You're no longer bound to certain skills defined by your character class. You can choose skills and level them unlocking perks. Kind of like how Fallout works.

Another nice new feature is Dual wielding. Which allows you to equip any weapon or spell to each hand and using both at the same time. Obviously different combinations will give you different effects.

The character creation has been redefined also, allowing you to create characters in more depth.

The release date has been set for the 11.11.11. So we still have just under a year to wait.

Here is a teaser trailer, not much but it's still something:

I just found this on Wikia too:
Skyrim is a fictional region in The Elder Scrolls series of games. It is the home of the Nords.

History
Skyrim, the home of the Nords and the next base set of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Also known as the Old Kingdom or the Fatherland, was the first of the regions of Tamriel to be settled by humans, who migrated there from the land of Atmora in the north. The date of this migration is unknown, although it was during the time before the full flourishing of Elvish civlization. According to legend, Ysgramor landed first at Hsaarik Head, at the extreme northern tip of Skyrim's Broken Cape. It is said that he and his companions were fleeing a civil war in Atmora, which then supported a sizable population. They named the land Mereth, after the many elves that roamed the virgin forests of Tamriel.
For a long while, relations between the Elves and men were relatively peaceful. However, the Elves, seeing that the Nords, with their vastly shorter lifespans, fast rates of physical maturation and expedient (by Elvish standards) reproductive cycle, would eventually overtake them if left unchecked. At the time, men were viewed by Elves as being primitive and animal-like, and it was seen as no great moral remission to stop the spread of a potentially disastrous invasive species, who would destabilize the Tamrielic ecosystem. Thusly, Elvish pogroms razed the city of Saarthal on what became known as the Night of Tears. Only Ysgramor and two sons escaped back to Atmora, and, seeing the tenuous peace which had developed between the various factions, recognized the opportunity for their plight to become a great uniter for humanity as a whole. Within a few years, Ysgramor returned to Skyrim with an army known as the "Five Hundred Companions", composed of the heroes of the Atmoran civil war who, without much hesitation, drove the elves out and laid the foundations for the First Empire of Men.

Elves persisted within the borders of Skyrim until the reign of the Thirteenth of the Ysgramor Dynasty, King Harald, at the beginning of the First Era. Harald was the first to relinquish all holdings in Atmora (Until that time, the Nords of Atmora and Skyrim had been considered the same group), proclaiming that the people of Skyrim were an independent people. All humans on Tamriel are descended from these Nords, although some bloodlines run thin.

Vrage the Gifted started the expansion that would eventually lead to the First Empire of Men. Within fifty years of his reign, the Nords ruled all of Skyrim, as well as parts of High Rock, Cyrodiil, and the Dunmer lands of Morrowind. The acquisition of Morrowind was particularly bloody, still remembered in Morrowind today (The purpose of the formation of the Chimer-Dwemer kingdom of Resdayn was to expel the Nords).

The system which chose the successors to the empire eventually proved to be the Empire's undoing. For a great while the Moot, a gathering of the lords of the many different Holds, chose the successor to the Empire. This lasted well until the death of King Borgas, when the Moot failed to nominate the popular successor. From this came the disastrous Skyrim War of Succession, during which time High Rock, Cyrodiil, and Morrowind provinces seceded with little resistance from the Nords. The war did not end until the Pact of Chieftans, when the Moot was established to convene only when there was no clear successor.

Anyone else looking forward to this game? Oblivion was a mammoth of a game, and then fallout 3/vegas was created on an improved version of the same engine. So looking at Oblivion and Fallout, you can see a lot can be accomplished with the next Elder Scrolls addition. I've always enjoyed the fantasy landscapes and weaponry/magics offered in the Elder Scolls series.

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Jan 10 2011, 11:37 AM

--------------------
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Jan 10 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #2

doesn't play well with others...

Group: Staff
Member No.: 38,893
XBL Gamertag: your mother...
PSN Name: artistadam
Xfire Identity: i said your mother!!

as i hated oblivion, i will probably not get into this one as much... i may give it a look though, just to see the new engine in action because, i know it's going to be bethesda's main engine for all future games, like fallout... and i would love to see a much improved engine...

--------------------

QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 15 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Jan 10 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

From: Leichenstadt, State of Massacre, in the Warlord Empire
Member No.: 2,470
XBL Gamertag: WarlordMassacre
PSN Name: Warlord_Massacre

Fuck. I was waiting for some info so I could make this topic.

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Jan 10 2011, 11:02 AM) *
as i hated oblivion, i will probably not get into this one as much...

How the fuck can anyone not love Oblivion? You're a strange creature, bOnEs...

--------------------
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Sep 12 2009, 03:43 AM) *
Massacre, you make me look like a rational, moral, kind person.
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 26 2009, 01:22 PM) *
Massacre - What you've just posted is sick and disturbing...
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jan 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *
When Massacre is around, everything is violated... Whether it likes it or not.
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Mar 6 2011, 09:40 AM) *
Whenever I think of "human resources" Massacre immediately springs to mind.

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Jan 10 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #4

i don't dig the whole elf/orc/magical/fantasy/world of warcraft setting all that much... i managed to play through dragon age and it's the same kind of world... the character leveling system in oblivion was frustrating, the quests were bland, and the world felt lifeless, even though the world looked gorgeous... after about 20 hours, i got bored with it... stopped collecting stuff and once i hit that point of letting the enemies out-level me, i got really pissed off that it ruined my game... started over but, never got more than 6 hours in...

i like fallout since it's more grounded in reality... but hey, i never said i wouldn't play it or not check it out... i am just assuming that i wouldn't like it, which might work in it's favor since my expectations are already low...

--------------------

Oh, good one. The "you're on the internet so you must have no life" insult isn't moronic or unoriginal at all. You must, without a doubt, be a very important member of society, not at all a waste of the already barely valuable gift of life.

As is the case for everyone who takes issue with people who make them sad on the internet, you are one of two kinds of people:

You are exactly what you claim I am, and that is a lonely, pathetic basement dweller. You life is spent eating eight pounds of junk food per day, masturbating to anything you find online that's even remotely feminine, and wishing you had good looks and social skills. You continue to live with your mother until she dies of a combination of lung cancer and liver failure brought on by the chain-smoking and heavy drinking she used to cope with what a failure you are. Your mother mercifully dead and free of the living embodiment of failure she regretfully thrust from her loins, the bills start to pile up and you, unemployed and unable to pay these bills (of course), lose the house and everything in it. Somehow even more of a failure than you already were, you wander from place to place eating out of dumpsters and sleeping in your own filth until you finally die of AIDS, which you contracted from a diseased whore you scrounged up enough money to pay for, so you could finally lose your virginity while at the same time pretending that your mother was back in your life.

Or:

You are the type who was an athlete in high school, who was genetically doomed to be an idiot but managed to finish school and even get a college scholarship because you were so good at a worthless children's game. You went off to college with a suitcase full of polo shirts and condoms, the polo shirts, because you're a douche, and the condoms to prevent you from impregnating the dim-witted young college girls whom you could never touch without the aid of Rohypnol, a drug you refer to as "roofies" because you can neither spell or pronounce Rohypnol. You scrape by with borderline D's for the next four years, and leave the campus to go out into the real world where your realize you're not intelligent or talented enough to do anything of value with your life. Misery and minimum wage ensues for thirty years, then you blow your brains out, and your corpse, alone and forgotten, is not discovered until the smell of rotting flesh seeps under your door and your bodily fluids finally soak through the floor of your studio apartment and into the room below you. Your body is cremated, the ashes scraped into a garbage bin because there was no one in your life who valued you enough to pay for a casket, funeral, or burial plot.

You're undoubtedly one of the two, otherwise you would have better things to do than complain about the theme of a forum that doesn't care about anything you have to say.
Achievements

+Quote Post
PabloHoneyOle
post Jan 10 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #5

Boss
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,397

I didn't like Oblivion at all.

I tried playing it. Same thing with bones. I could give two shits about orcs vs. goblins and shit. Cat people? No thanks.

I tried so hard to get into Oblivion, but it was just not for me. I might give this one a look when it comes out, but I dunno.
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Feb 15 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #6

Still Standing
Group Icon

Some new Info (some old):
The new engine being built will include dynamic snowfall, shadows, and greater environmental detail.
There will be five "massive" cities and there will be more to do in them like blacksmithing, farming, and cooking.
There will be five schools of magic: Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration, Restoration, and Illusion. Mysticism has been removed and Enchantment will be a skill.
There will be 18 skills, down from 21 in Oblivion, these skills can be tailored to the type of character you wish to play.
Skyrim will have perks like Fallout.
Quests will be more dynamic with some being randomly generated and other being tailored to your play style.

Source: GamrFeed

Here are a small handful of screenshots which I believe are the first in-game ones.

Source:MaximumPC

From what i see in these screens, this game looks shit-hot!

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Feb 15 2011, 10:32 AM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 15 2011, 06:54 PM
Post #7

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

Can't wait to see the first Orc screenshot.

Also, melee in first person is doomed to always look weird to me.

Also also, my spell check is doomed to forever think that "melee" isn't a word.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Feb 15 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #8

wow, if that's what the engine can do then this bodes extremely well for future fallout games biggrin.gif... that looks 10x better than the old engine, and i am just basing this off of the screenshots above... it looks a lot more realistic...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Feb 15 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #9

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

Not normally into fantasy stuff but this [to me] looks like a kind of Indiana Jones/Legend of Zelda mix - you can probably tell I've never played any of the previous Elder Scrolls but that's what it looks like at a glance to me. I thought it was just a PC game but low and behold no, it's on PS3 and 360 too. smile.gif
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Feb 15 2011, 09:24 PM
Post #10

the elder scrolls series more closely resembles dungeons and dragons... not sure where the indy reference comes from laugh.gif... it's the now over-done story of elves, orcs, wizards, dragons and warriors... and throw in some reptilian and cat people too...

...and i don't recall any zelda-like puzzles in oblivion so, not sure where that reference comes from... maybe the screenshot of the guy that kind of looks like link with the horse in the background?! laugh.gif... that's my favorite screenshot above by the way... i love the look of the downed tree and hope to see a lot more of that in games...

This post has been edited by bOnEs: Feb 15 2011, 09:28 PM

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Feb 15 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #11

Still Standing
Group Icon

QUOTE (Marney1 @ Feb 15 2011, 08:49 PM) *
Not normally into fantasy stuff but this [to me] looks like a kind of Indiana Jones/Legend of Zelda mix - you can probably tell I've never played any of the previous Elder Scrolls but that's what it looks like at a glance to me. I thought it was just a PC game but low and behold no, it's on PS3 and 360 too. smile.gif

The only things i can think of that resembles Elder Scrolls are either MMORPG's (without all the people :S) Or fallout without the post-apocalyptic raiders with guns.

It's essentially an open-world-fantasy-sandbox with may quests and side quests to venture out on. The engine is basically fallout, so it will feel kind of similar running around killing and looting bodies for goods.

Maybe this one will be more like Red Dead Redemption, there might be a hunting guild!.

This post has been edited by DuPz0r: Feb 15 2011, 09:54 PM

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 15 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #12

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Feb 15 2011, 04:24 PM) *
the elder scrolls series more closely resembles dungeons and dragons... not sure where the indy reference comes from laugh.gif... it's the now over-done story of elves, orcs, wizards, dragons and warriors... and throw in some reptilian and cat people too...

...and i don't recall any zelda-like puzzles in oblivion so, not sure where that reference comes from... maybe the screenshot of the guy that kind of looks like link with the horse in the background?! laugh.gif... that's my favorite screenshot above by the way... i love the look of the downed tree and hope to see a lot more of that in games...

Overdone, maybe, but only WoW and Elder Scrolls have done it right in the video game world, so only they count. Except for Bethesda's take on Dwarves, which is retarded, but they're not a playable race anyway. I think they're extinct or something.

QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Feb 15 2011, 04:54 PM) *
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Feb 15 2011, 08:49 PM) *

The only things i can think of that resembles Elder Scrolls are either MMORPG's (without all the people :S) Or fallout without the post-apocalyptic raiders with guns.

It's essentially an open-world-fantasy-sandbox with may quests and side quests to venture out on. The engine is basically fallout, so it will feel kind of similar running around killing and looting bodies for goods.

Maybe this one will be more like Red Dead Redemption, there might be a hunting guild!.

Don't tell him it's like Fallout, he'll never fucking play it now.

This post has been edited by Massacre: Feb 15 2011, 10:07 PM

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Feb 15 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Feb 15 2011, 04:54 PM) *
...Or fallout without the post-apocalyptic raiders with guns.

...The engine is basically fallout, so it will feel kind of similar running around killing and looting bodies for goods.

that's the problem right there... marney has yet to play fallout...

@massacre - agreed... it's probably the closest resemblance to the old dungeons and dragons style... dragon's age tried too hard i think... but, i thought for a while that it was going to be like that but, they went in a lord of the rings direction...

i've got nearly a year to make up my mind about skyrim... i am not sold yet, and quite frankly, it's going to take a lot to get me to buy it... when i knew about mass effect 2 finally coming to the PS3, i was excited... but i have yet to even play it now that it's out... it takes a lot to get me to play an RPG these days...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 15 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #14

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

Mass Effect 2 really isn't very RPG, it's more of a third-person shooter with a level-up system. Doesn't really play much like Dragon Age at all.

Plus, the Krogan are pretty much the most badass Sci-Fi race ever.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Feb 15 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #15

maybe it's not so much the leveling-up RPG system that is a hard sell for me... it's the length and over-arching storyline that goes with an RPG... it takes hours and hours of commitment... and i am only willing to do that with something i am completely ready to handle... or if it is something that appeals to me...

mass effect appeals to me but, i am not so sure if the 50+ hours of gaming do at this point... spending countless hours in little big planet's level creator seems to be what i am looking for right now, getting creative and coming up with my own video game... not constantly maintaining idiotic AI partners and skimming through countless menus to set up companion power usages and tactics... or maintaining inventory space and sifting through hundreds of dialog branches... it took some willpower to man up to dragon's age... same thing could be said about skyrim and mass effect 2 for me...

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Massacre
post Feb 15 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #16

Warlord of the Wastes.
Group Icon

No inventory space, there's nothing to pick up. You have a selection of weapons you take with you, and anything else you acquire is just, there, no inventory space or weight. Companion AI is fine, no problems, and managing your companions is just as easy as it is in New Vegas, maybe easier, plus you don't have to talk to them to make changes, it's just a simple button press. Dialog doesn't have hundreds of branches, there's three responses to whatever people say to you (passive, neutral, aggressive), and a couple other options if there are questions you can ask that relate to what you just heard.

Not trying to push the game onto you, you just seem to think it's like Dragon age, but they barely have any similarities at all. Don't let Dragon Age's fuck-ups keep you from playing Mass Effect.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Edgecrusher
post Feb 15 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #17

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Group Icon

Member No.: 480
PSN Name: JonnyCanonFodder

Dammit, now I have another title to add to the list of games I want this year, but probably can't realistically afford.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
DuPz0r
post Feb 15 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #18

Still Standing
Group Icon

At the moment, L.A. Noire is at the top of my priority list. But we still have months for this game. I was thinking of picking up Mass Effect 2, but i don't want to pay so much for it considering it's been out on 360 for ages and it's dirt cheap on that console.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
bOnEs
post Feb 15 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Massacre @ Feb 15 2011, 05:48 PM) *
No inventory space, there's nothing to pick up. You have a selection of weapons you take with you, and anything else you acquire is just, there, no inventory space or weight. Companion AI is fine, no problems, and managing your companions is just as easy as it is in New Vegas, maybe easier, plus you don't have to talk to them to make changes, it's just a simple button press. Dialog doesn't have hundreds of branches, there's three responses to whatever people say to you (passive, neutral, aggressive), and a couple other options if there are questions you can ask that relate to what you just heard.

Not trying to push the game onto you, you just seem to think it's like Dragon age, but they barely have any similarities at all. Don't let Dragon Age's fuck-ups keep you from playing Mass Effect.

you mean the weapon wheel isn't in mass effect 2? i recall having to deal with it in the demo... that's where you manage your companions health and is the games version of VATS... and maybe it's not sifting through hundreds of dialog branches, it's listening to hundreds of dialog responses, some taking several minutes... i've played the demo and it kind of feels like dragon's age with guns, similar to fallout feeling like oblivion with guns... i know they are not the same but, they feel similar...

but yea, i am not trying to find excuses and i am not holding dragon's age against mass effect 2... like i said, it takes a commitment, as well as time and effort... and right now i am all out of that... i just wrapped up a 4 month campaign with new vegas... i am not ready to move on to another epic adventure just yet... i'd rather just fuck around right now with video games... but, mass effect 2 is the next RPG i play... not dragon's age 2 or skyrim later this year... it's mass effect 2... as a matter of fact, i don't even think i want to play DA2... the first one got me back into the RPG swing but, i didn't think the world was engaging or fun to be in...

now that i've swung this topic way off topic i'd like to bring it back to the topic at hand, skyrim... does this take place immediately after oblivion or is it years into the future??

--------------------

Or:

Achievements

+Quote Post
Marney1
post Feb 15 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #20

Godfather
Group Icon

Member No.: 48,547

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Feb 15 2011, 09:24 PM) *

@DuP and everyone else since my last post; Like I said, it was 'at a glance' lol. It looks like I could get lost in the forests for hours running round looking for little fairies and shit, or pots of gold with a little ginger bearded fella with a green hat on standing guard by it.

Wooaah, these pills are stroooong!
Achievements

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 09:18 PM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4