IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If The Earth Suddenly Stoped Spinning!
Mattay
post Oct 20 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #21

Do Boy
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19,171
PSN Name: PM me

I was thinking about that a few days ago. If the earth did stop spinning we'd go 1100 mph to the east. Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, so if the earth spins facing the sun, we'd go 1100 mph east. Simple.

--------------------

click my sig for a good time.
Thanks to D-O for the sig
Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kronoz
post Oct 20 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #22

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,192

I don't think anything would happen as currently as we rotate we are kept still by gravity so if we stopped moving gravity would still be pulling towards the center of the earth therefore we should say still.
Or I could be wrong an we could all go into orbit tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image
Achievements

+Quote Post
british_bulldog
post Oct 20 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #23

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 502

What about the planes???
sad.gif

This post has been edited by british_bulldog: Oct 20 2005, 07:02 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

TRENDYWHOREHOLE
Achievements

+Quote Post
0bs3n3
post Oct 20 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #24

Leece

Member No.: 24,792

WOW! Thats freaky. But you would get ripped apart travelling 1100 mph.

This post has been edited by Homero: Oct 20 2005, 07:19 PM
Achievements

+Quote Post
Guest_Alkaline Sheep_*
post Oct 20 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #25

Guests

Hah, major whiplash
Achievements

+Quote Post
undercoverbrothe...
post Oct 20 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #26

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 24,088

If the earth stopped spinning, I would shit my pants. If I shit my pants, the earth would stop spinning....maybe.....

This post has been edited by undercoverbrother: Oct 20 2005, 07:41 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
Proud member of P.I.S.S.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Handsome B Wonde...
post Oct 20 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #27

Jesus Christ Monkeyballs!

Member No.: 5,644

For the earth to stop spinning, something would have to destroy the sun (self implosion, black hole?), as it is what causes the earth to revolve. If the earth stopped spinning it would probably take a couple of hours before we collided with the moon. In theory, the earth would explode reasonably fast, because the earths core and mantle are also affected by gravity, and would expand rapidly without the pressures of gravity.
All theories on this subject are purely speculation, as there is no way of knowing what would happen.

--------------------
I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time - and this includes naps - I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.
Charlie Sheen
Achievements

+Quote Post
JuanCarlos
post Oct 21 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #28

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 24,542

i wish the earth wud stop

--------------------
i'm ya fucka
Achievements

+Quote Post
Guest_Ender_*
post Oct 21 2005, 03:02 AM
Post #29

Guests

Well, it's quite possible SOMEONE would survive it. The air would travel at the same speed in our direction, so there wouldn't be any air resistance.

But, if everything just "took" off at 1100 mph in the same direction, relative to me, would I even notice it? Cause if I'm sitting on the chair, which is on floor, connected to my house, connected to the earth's mantle, wouldnt it all just somewhat slide, not really affecting me?
Achievements

+Quote Post
Guest_CoreyKo_*
post Oct 21 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #30

Guests

QUOTE(JuanCarlos @ Oct 21 2005, 03:31 AM) [snapback]965687[/snapback]

i wish the earth wud stop

Yeah I dont' blame you. Look at all the shit going on in the world dry.gif.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Oct 21 2005, 03:45 AM
Post #31

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 11,944

I don't think that we "take off" at all. I think that whatever side of the earth that was facing the opposite side of the sun would experience a second ice age and never have day, while the other side would be hotter than usual and never have night.

I don't think it would effect gravity. The gravity of the earth is effected by the earths core. The sun also plays a huge factor in this. If I remember correctly, on Mercury, 1 year is about 87 days.

Off topic, but interesting, fact: Pluto is only the last planet in the solar system for about 20 earth years. After 20 earth years it becomes the second to last planet for a few years(can't remember how many) before going back to being the last.

Another interesting fact: Scientists(or whoever the hell researches planets and stuff) think that they may have found another planet after Pluto, and that Pluto may possibly not be a planet at all.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Sig made by 6KAM9 | Buttons made by RJ (^clicky dem, ya'll!^)
Achievements

+Quote Post
Guest_CoreyKo_*
post Oct 21 2005, 03:48 AM
Post #32

Guests

QUOTE(mrrt51 @ Oct 21 2005, 05:13 AM) [snapback]965740[/snapback]

I don't think that we "take off" at all. I think that whatever side of the earth that was facing the opposite side of the sun would experience a second ice age and never have day, while the other side would be hotter than usual and never have night.

I don't think it would effect gravity. The gravity of the earth is effected by the earths core. The sun also plays a huge factor in this. If I remember correctly, on Mercury, 1 year is about 87 days.

Off topic, but interesting, fact: Pluto is only the last planet in the solar system for about 20 earth years. After 20 earth years it becomes the second to last planet for a few years(can't remember how many) before going back to being the last.

Another interesting fact: Scientists(or whoever the hell researches planets and stuff) think that they may have found another planet after Pluto, and that Pluto may possibly not be a planet at all.

Yeah I heard that too and I heard that its called Planet X. I've also heard that the government doesn't want us to know about it either. I'm not joking because thats what I heard from one of my mom's friends who heard it from friend of his.
Achievements

+Quote Post
mceggy
post Oct 21 2005, 04:57 AM
Post #33

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 151

The tectonic plates (what we're all standin on, the Earth's crust) will still continue moving by 'floating' over the magma below but would eventually grind to a stop, before that happens we would lose gravity and begin to float like we would in space. Atmosphere would be lost very quickly and we'd all die but that's getting complicated.

--------------------
Still that egotist - with reason of course. I'm awesome.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Skribble
post Oct 21 2005, 08:16 AM
Post #34

Upstanding Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 370

You guys are talking about a lack of atmosphere, that would upset gravity, but the world always has its own atmosphere and its own centre of gravity because of how big it is. And thanks to intertia the earth wouldn't stop instantly, just slow and there would be no more sunsets and sunrise and the world would get majorly fucked over. If however the earth suddenly stopped I think it would just kill us all because everything would jolt so quickly, could snap all our necks. This thinking is making me dizzy aye.

--------------------

Currently Listening to:
DUB STEP - ALL OF IT
Filthy beats
DNB
Achievements

+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Oct 22 2005, 03:49 AM
Post #35

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 11,944

QUOTE(CoreyKo @ Oct 20 2005, 10:16 PM) [snapback]965742[/snapback]

QUOTE(mrrt51 @ Oct 21 2005, 05:13 AM) [snapback]965740[/snapback]

Yeah I heard that too and I heard that its called Planet X. I've also heard that the government doesn't want us to know about it either. I'm not joking because thats what I heard from one of my mom's friends who heard it from friend of his.

Only called Planet X cuz it hasn't been confirmed, so therefore, why name it? And why does the government think that we think that things like that don't exist? Area 51 for example. We know its there, but the government denies its existense. If it didn't exist then that area wouldn't be restricted to unauthorized personel. And the governent wouldn't be as defensive about it as they are.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Sig made by 6KAM9 | Buttons made by RJ (^clicky dem, ya'll!^)
Achievements

+Quote Post
Ima1337Pimp
post Oct 22 2005, 06:08 AM
Post #36

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 7,391

Actualy there was a 10th planet discovered not too long ago and the founder named it Zena, what a gay name.

--------------------
"I don't need your civil war, it feeds the rich while it buries the poor..." Guns N' Roses
IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
Thanks Xtortion for the sig!
truckboy1252: ha i just heard a straight piped cummins go by
CanibalDoughnuts: omfg...
Achievements

+Quote Post
skinheadonthembt...
post Oct 25 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #37

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 395

QUOTE(GCM @ Oct 20 2005, 02:40 PM) [snapback]964924[/snapback]

yeah but this is a what if situation

and what if another planet hit us just right to stop the rotation, im sure if the planet/meteor were big enough it wouild stop the rotation

If something that size hit us, then it wouldn't stop the rotation of the earth, it'd just smash us into pieces and kill everything on the planet. How do you think the dinosaurs died?

And Pluto isn't a planet - It's far too small to be called a planet - the are actually asteroids in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter that are almost the same size. The new planet however (called Rupert in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - the book not the film) is supposed to be about the same size as either Mercury or Venus (can't remember which) and orbits the sun, therefore making it a planet.

Just so you know, there is another moon as well. It's called Cruithne

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Lord Steve0
post Oct 25 2005, 05:44 PM
Post #38

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 23,580

I think if the earth just stopped spinning every thing would pretty much be destroyed.
Imagine a merry-go-round just stopping dead when it's spinning. If you're on it you'd go flying at roughly the speed it was going at.
So the earth going at 1000+mph wouls result in everything not bolted down to the earth moving very suddenly at 1000+mph. Not many things can survive that sort of acceleration without severe damage. The human body almost certainly can't survive acceleration from 0 to 1000mph in a time of one second.
Also, things with different mass to each othe rwould travel different distances and slow down differently. So a house would fly miles maybe, but the lighter stuff in it might not.
Of course most things would be smashed to bit by this.
I doubt you'd live to see the aftermath.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Viggars
post Oct 26 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #39

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 25,672

If sum1 was standing exactly on the north pole wen the earth stoped spinning wot wud happen to him/her ??? Because every1 elses momentum is goin clock-wise but he/she is exactly on the top????
Achievements

+Quote Post
Roman
post Oct 26 2005, 08:54 PM
Post #40

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 7,026

Well remember the earth doesn't rotote perfectly straight, it's on an axis so that would probably create somesort of motion for the person at the north pole.
Achievements

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd December 2014 - 01:48 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4