Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learning a foreign language (Dutch)
Austin
post Mar 8 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Upstanding Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 141

Hey I haven't been round in a while.. not been near computers much for quite a while. Moved to Holland to be near some friends, thing is I'm having problems fitting in because of the language barrier.. Everyone speaks English here but it doesn't count for much because 90% of jobs still require you to speak Dutch and also when in groups of friends they don't speak English all the time and I can get left out of conversation etc.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for learning a foreign language as effectively and quickly as possible? Should I tell my friends to stop speaking English to me completely so I'm forced to learn? Any stories from people who have been in similar situations would be appreciated also.

Dutch is especially difficult for me because they have special sounds that are not found in English at all... such as they pronounce "g" in a really fucked up way and they also roll the letter "r" which is alien to the English language also.

Achievements
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Mar 8 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #2

The universe goes on forever and we are alone
Group Icon

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 2,164

I can tell you're not from NY, haha. Anyways, do this: Get a friend with a label maker to label everything in your house. Whenever you go to use it, say the word out-loud a few times. This way, you can remember what it is. Next, I'd recommend you download a copy of Pimsleurs Dutch Language. I'll not say where of course, you should be bright enough to figure it out. Also, make sure to have simple conversations now and again with close friends, it helps a lot. Eventually you will get it, it's how I'm learning Swedish.

Also, good seeing you.

This post has been edited by Heartless: Mar 8 2009, 10:39 AM

--------------------

QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Mar 13 2009, 01:45 AM) *
The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Die Zeiten haben sich geändert.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Mar 8 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #3

Scam Artist
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

Time was I was quite good at Italian, just because I told my girlfriend to stop speaking to me in any other language for days on end. But then, that's sort of different, I was in Scotland at the time...

This post has been edited by Amarillo Suave: Mar 8 2009, 12:53 PM

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Qdeathstar
post Mar 8 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #4

My Penis, Your ass. Lets go.
Group Icon

Member No.: 14

Rossetta stone!

--------------------

Seether - Country Song
Download Now

QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 26 2010, 04:28 PM) *
I've found it's impossible to be more human than human. Inhuman, however, is easy.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Austin
post Mar 8 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #5

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 8 2009, 11:38 AM) [snapback]1489155[/snapback]
I can tell you're not from NY, haha. Anyways, do this: Get a friend with a label maker to label everything in your house. Whenever you go to use it, say the word out-loud a few times. This way, you can remember what it is. Next, I'd recommend you download a copy of Pimsleurs Dutch Language. I'll not say where of course, you should be bright enough to figure it out. Also, make sure to have simple conversations now and again with close friends, it helps a lot. Eventually you will get it, it's how I'm learning Swedish.

Also, good seeing you.

Aye I might try the label thing.. heard from a few people that's a good way to learn.

QUOTE(Qdeathstar)
Rossetta stone!

I downloaded that, it matches words/sentences to pictures but sometimes the pictures are a bit vague.. still it's pretty decent and a lot more interesting than a book.

Time was I was quite good at Italian, just because I told my girlfriend to stop speaking to me in any other language for days on end. But then, that's sort of different, I was in Scotland at the time...

lol D: I might try telling people to stop using English but It could get pretty frustrating.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Bain
post Mar 8 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Rat
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,884

Hahahahaha this topic is hilarious. First of all, oh my god that you moved to a foreign country to be with some friends. That life planning was not the best idea.

Anyway, yeah, do the labeling thing. In fact, every time you see any thing try to think of the world. Tell them to speak only Dutch. Buy translation books of common and native phrases that you may not understand or find in a regular language how to program.

Practice your ass off, study all the time, etc.

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post
DiO
post Mar 8 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #7

Forgot about member titles for awhile there...
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,564

I want to learn German. Probably wont ever.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Mar 8 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

If you can do it, most cannot, sleep with a learn Dutch CD in the background. You'll be surprised how quickly the words come to your mind later. This is part of the womb theory; children are already learning a language when in the womb.

--------------------

The reason is that when heartless says something stupid, he really means it and believes it.

“They refer to me as an uneducated barbarian. Yes, we are barbarians. We want to be barbarians, it is an honored title to us. We shall rejuvenate the world. This world is near its end.”

Achievements

+Quote Post
Un-Amurikan Bast...
post Mar 9 2009, 05:37 AM
Post #9

Upstanding Citizen

Member No.: 17,310

Living there is the quickest way already. Labelling was already mentioned, but being spoken to in the language is about the best and roughest way to do it. Body language, context, etc. will help you determine what people are trying to get through to you, and you learn the phrases for what they were trying to say in the process. Hire a prostitute for the night and you'll learn a lot. I was in Morocco for a few hours this summer and I learned some Arabic just by being spoken to in it. "Waha," "Sho'kran," "La," "Alayqum Salaam," etc. Dutch isn't too bad. It's just misspelled German, which is just misspelled English.

--------------------

QUOTE(Styx)
Dancin' on a landmine baby one leg left, I can still crawl and I'm not dead yet. You better get a bigger gun, I'm not dead yet.

QUOTE(K. M. Munshi)
Have a scripture to recite, but make your own path.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Mar 9 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(Un-Amurikan Bastage @ Mar 9 2009, 01:37 AM) [snapback]1489247[/snapback]
Living there is the quickest way already. Labelling was already mentioned, but being spoken to in the language is about the best and roughest way to do it. Body language, context, etc. will help you determine what people are trying to get through to you, and you learn the phrases for what they were trying to say in the process. Hire a prostitute for the night and you'll learn a lot. I was in Morocco for a few hours this summer and I learned some Arabic just by being spoken to in it. "Waha," "Sho'kran," "La," "Alayqum Salaam," etc. Dutch isn't too bad. It's just misspelled German, which is just misspelled English.

Did you know... High English, that is to say, English used in Academia, is based on Latin, and Low English, that is to say, English used by the layman, is based on German?

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Austin
post Mar 9 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #11

Upstanding Citizen

QUOTE(Bain @ Mar 8 2009, 07:35 PM) [snapback]1489186[/snapback]
Hahahahaha this topic is hilarious. First of all, oh my god that you moved to a foreign country to be with some friends. That life planning was not the best idea.

I was bored sick and fed up in the place I was living so why not? Needed big change in my life. You can legally grow your own weed plants on your windowsill here.

Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Mar 9 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #12

Scam Artist
Group Icon

QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 9 2009, 07:37 AM) [snapback]1489257[/snapback]
QUOTE(Un-Amurikan Bastage @ Mar 9 2009, 01:37 AM) [snapback]1489247[/snapback]

Did you know... High English, that is to say, English used in Academia, is based on Latin, and Low English, that is to say, English used by the layman, is based on German?
That's a very simple analysis, I know linguistics students who would be flabbergasted if you said that.

[Edit] Granted, the only mildly academic words in the preceding sentence are "student" from studium, "linguistics" from "lingua". "Analysis" however is derived from the Greek "loosening throughout". "Academia" is also derived from Greek.

[Edit2] I wapped out the etymological dictionary. "flabberghast" is an English neologism from the 19th century, derived from "aghast", which is thought to have Scottish and Flemish origins. Most interestingly, the word "simple" itself is derived from the Latin "simplex", meaning "of one part", which is still used in medicine today.

This post has been edited by Amarillo Suave: Mar 9 2009, 10:23 AM

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
drive carfuly,because every secend a shrak can teleport itself to your car, and try to drive your car (if you have one) with shark in it.
Achievements

+Quote Post
Heartless
post Mar 9 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(Austin @ Mar 9 2009, 04:32 AM) [snapback]1489262[/snapback]
QUOTE(Bain @ Mar 8 2009, 07:35 PM) [snapback]1489186[/snapback]

I was bored sick and fed up in the place I was living so why not? Needed big change in my life. You can legally grow your own weed plants on your windowsill here.

A little incorrect, but not to the point where it matters. Anyways, get your smoke on now, the laws they are a changing.

--------------------

Achievements

+Quote Post
Bain
post Mar 12 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #14

Rat
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,884

'I know linguistics students who would be flabbergasted'

That destroyed all credibility to the post.
---------------------------------------------------------
You have to actually study some books too you cant just speak and know a language by word

--------------------
BAIN POINTS:

Pickles: +7
D-O: +88
Mekstizzle: +10
QD: -10
Frog Choker: + 13
Analogkid: -25
Psy: -8
Ast: +10
Treefitty: -10
Viceman: -59*
Massacre: +5
Spoiler: -14
Voodoo: +17

*= Fail
Achievements

+Quote Post
cuda is your boi
post Mar 13 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #15

Vandal
Group Icon

Member No.: 16

Know people.

On the internet, outside the computer, whatever, I know a lot of Dutch people for about 3 years now, talk to them regularly in ventrilo, even though I'm not entirely interested in learning, I still pick up a lot of Dutch, and yes, it's not the easiest language to learn, far from it.

Zuig me lul fuckers.

--------------------

I AM NOT A LIER SIR PLEASE DONT CALL ME ONE I SEEN THE WEB SITE WOULD U LIKE TO C IT?

Achievements

+Quote Post
Passionate Homo ...
post Mar 13 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #16

Scam Artist
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bain @ Mar 12 2009, 12:05 AM) [snapback]1489750[/snapback]
'I know linguistics students who would be flabbergasted'

That destroyed all credibility to the post.
Troll troll troll your boat

--------------------

QUOTE(LMOZ)
Achievements

+Quote Post
NCP
post Mar 26 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #17

Nobody Special
Group Icon

Member No.: 73

Well I heard from others that learning Dutch is pretty hard, but you'll have to try and order stuff in Dutch, try to have conversations, even though our grammar isn't really like English grammar. The pronounciation of the "G" is really hard to get the hang of, because you aren't born to say it. Succes in ieder geval.

PS Cudamine, you can sucks mine.

--------------------
Achievements

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 11:44 AM

GTA 5 | GTA San Andreas | Red Dead Redemption | GTA 4